07-08 Philadelphia Flyers Off-Season Thread

Started by rjs246, May 19, 2008, 08:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Seabiscuit36

I really hate Emrick, he used to be good, but went the Gary Thorne route.  He thinks Zetterberg is russian. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

i havent seen enough of meszaros to make an educated decision but id trade umberger or upshall in a minute if i thought it could help the team
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD_Eagle5

From what I've read about him he's like Coburn only not as good defensively. The way I look at it is if you can get a large mobile offensive defenseman that's only 21 for either Umberger or Upshall you do it in a hurry.

ice grillin you

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have acquired 5'11", 200-pound defenseman Danny Syvret (SIHV-reht) from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for forward Ryan Potulny, according to club General Manager Paul Holmgren.

"Danny is a puck-moving defenseman that sees the ice well and will improve our depth," said Holmgren in making the announcement. "He had some success playing with Jeff Carter and Mike Richards at the 2005 World Junior Championship as a member of the Team Canada.

"Ryan was a good player for our organization, but this was a deal based on a need, as we added depth to our defense."

Syvret, 22, recorded two goals and 18 assists for 20 points and 43 penalty minutes in 63 regular season games for the Springfield Falcons and Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League this past season.

Seabiscuit36

Potulny had better not turn out to be another Patrick Sharp
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PoopyfaceMcGee

I guess the team understands they need better defense.  That's good.  I don't know either of the players to decide if the value was a good deal, though.

rjs246

A 22 year old puck-moving defenseman sounds good. 20 points in 63 games is the beginning and end of what I know about this dude. Clearly, I'll be holding my breath for a move that says 'we're serious about contending' this offseason, and this isn't it.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Seabiscuit36

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/danny_syvret

Danny Syvret
Prospect Grade: 4.0 B  (About Prospect Grades)
History

Was one of a handful of non-OHL players selected to play for Team Ontario in the Under 17 Championship in 2001 and he brought home a bronze medal. Was named to the OHL first team all rookie team in 2002-03.

Was invited to the Team Canada Evaluation camp in the summer of 2004 and made the final roster for the 2004-05 World Junior tournament. He took home a gold medal and scored the winning goal in the Gold medal game.

Had been overlooked in his first two NHL drafts. His plus minus totals over his last two seasons in the OHL were among the best in the league. He played a big role in back to back record-breaking seasons for the London Knights.

Talent Analysis

The worst thing you can say about Syvret is that he will never be 6'3 and 215 pounds. His strong skating is rarely noticed, as he doesn't get caught out of position much and with a talented group of forwards in front of him, he doesn't have to carry the puck up ice. He makes good passes and knows when to take the safe play off the glass. He didn't have much of a shot in his first two seasons in the league and tended to pass the puck off to teammates, but in his final year in the league he has developed a strong one timer and has been excellent at moving off the point deep into the offensive zone and burying some chances. Syvret is not big, but has strong legs and takes care of his own end with his smarts, positioning and skating ability. Despite the knock on him for his lack of size, he has never missed an OHL game due to injury and he plays big minutes for London.

Future

Syvret has begun the 2006-07 campaign in Grand Rapids and will fight for every minute of ice time he gets.

SD_Eagle5

The Flyers have an abundance of forwards both in the NHL and minor leagues so trading Potulny for a decent defenseman makes sense. I was never that high on Potulny.

Seabiscuit36

he wasnt a good skater, and didnt have a physical game.  He didnt fit on the 4th line, and the team is full already.  Not a bad deal if this kid pans out. 

ice grillin you

sounds like the phantoms improved their backline

Seabiscuit36

without a doubt.  Also rumors that Boumeester is on the Block.  Get it done Homer, forget Campbell

Seabiscuit36