The Race(ism)/Hate Thread

Started by ice grillin you, May 17, 2006, 08:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on May 01, 2015, 12:11:51 PM
Quote from: SunMo on May 01, 2015, 11:40:34 AM
states attorney  rules it a homicide and 6 officers are going to be charged.

but hey, he narcotics charges...facebook told me that.  so i shouldn't care he got killed in police custody.

It really disturbs me the number of people who believe things like that or the often used line "well if he hadn't run from police none of this would've happened."   

First, running from the police isn't a crime.   It doesn't even establish probable cause for an arrest unless there are other circumstances present.  Second, even if you commit a crime it doesn't give the police the go ahead to murder you.  The circumstances where police can use deadly force is really really limited and it blows my mind the number of people who justify death-by-cop just because someone doesn't cooperate with the police or committed some random crime.

All of this.

Also, MDS, as Dio is fond of pointing out, race plays a diminished role in the relationship between Police and Population. A black cop is still a cop. In that relationship the cop, regardless of color, holds all of the power.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Munson

Not to mention it's entirley possible for POC to be racist towards other POC. Internalized racism is real.

But, yeah, the main complaint is how a power structure, the police, interact with people of color, particularity black people.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

but hey, he narcotics charges...facebook told me that.  so i shouldn't care he got killed in police custody.

It really disturbs me the number of people who believe things like that or the often used line "well if he hadn't run from police none of this would've happened."   

the people who say things like this have probably never had any interaction with the police in their entire life other than a speeding ticket

theres a very good chance that the reason he ran in the first place was because of numerous previous instances where he didnt run but was rolled up on by the police and either interrogated harrassed arrested or all three for no reason....so maybe this time hes like farg it im not trying to deal with this shtein today...also the knife he had was legal...in the police report it said it was an illegal switchblade
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

Quote from: Munson on May 01, 2015, 04:11:00 PM
Not to mention it's entirley possible for POC to be racist towards other POC. Internalized racism is real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrl2Dm8Rwtk

The man. The myth. The legend.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SunMo on May 01, 2015, 12:37:58 PM
as expected the union came out strong for all 6 officers and now there is this "war on police" narrative being created against the states attorney

the union has to come out for them thats SOP....but theres lots of anger from just normal citizens against it....which is amazing when you think that they have only been CHARGED...that how good the police got it...

them and their supporters flip the farg out just simply for being accused of a crimet....they are going to get their day in court and get top notch legal representation which is more than you can say for so many of the people they arrest

MDS

Quote from: rjs246 on May 01, 2015, 01:14:45 PM

First, running from the police isn't a crime.   It doesn't even establish probable cause for an arrest unless there are other circumstances present.  Second, even if you commit a crime it doesn't give the police the go ahead to murder you.  The circumstances where police can use deadly force is really really limited and it blows my mind the number of people who justify death-by-cop just because someone doesn't cooperate with the police or committed some random crime.

All of this.

Also, MDS, as Dio is fond of pointing out, race plays a diminished role in the relationship between Police and Population. A black cop is still a cop. In that relationship the cop, regardless of color, holds all of the power.

have you seen the wire
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 01, 2015, 04:39:53 PM

the people who say things like this have probably never had any interaction with the police in their entire life other than a speeding ticket

theres a very good chance that the reason he ran in the first place was because of numerous previous instances where he didnt run but was rolled up on by the police and either interrogated harrassed arrested or all three for no reason....so maybe this time hes like farg it im not trying to deal with this shtein today...also the knife he had was legal...in the police report it said it was an illegal switchblade

Agreed on this especially the people who say he shouldn't run from the police and the type of person who says that.

They're the same who have zero problem letting cops search their car without PC or have no beef with the TSA putting you through X-ray machines to board a plane.

Cop asks me to search my car and I'm saying no. And I have zero to hide.

Eagles_Legendz

As you should.  That was the first thing we were told in criminal procedure.  Never let cops search your car.

General_Failure

How often does that no turn in to Probable Cause?

The man. The myth. The legend.

Eagles_Legendz

It isn't PC but depends how corrupt to cop is / willing to embellish their police report. 

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on May 01, 2015, 08:09:14 PM
As you should.  That was the first thing we were told in criminal procedure.  Never let cops search your car.

It's never happened and hope it never does bc I'm always worried they'll call out a drug dog and say he gave a hit and then plant some shtein inside or just use the supposed dog hit as a reason to search me.

ice grillin you

Quote from: General_Failure on May 01, 2015, 08:10:18 PM
How often does that no turn in to Probable Cause?

we'll see how smart you are when the canines come

PhillyPhreak54

I can see it now

"Mind if we search your truck to make sure you don't have anything illegal?"

"Yes I do mind. No you may not search"

Calls dogs in

"Sir we have a hit and that gives us probable cause to search the vehicle"

PhillyPhreak54

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 01, 2015, 08:46:07 PM
I can see it now

"Mind if we search your truck to make sure you don't have anything illegal?"

"Yes I do mind. No you may not search"

Calls dogs in

"Sir we have a hit and that gives us probable cause to search the vehicle"

Wasn't there just a ruling that searches of vehicles by drug dogs is illegal without a signed warrant?  Basically if you refused, the officers are not supposed to be able to get a drug dog to arbitrarily search the exterior of your vehicle without a judge signing off. 

I know someone who knows someone, who was stopped in one of the MA states while holding a large amount of cash driving to the west coast.  DEA and local officers pulled him over for having out of state tags, took him to a warehouse and interrogated him for over 9 hours without so much as a charge.  He was released, but they kept the funds, and when it came time that the funds had to be reported, the agencies rushed a case together that had so many holes in it that it was an abomination.  Not surprisingly, they still have the funds and haven't relinquished any amount. 

Moral of the story is, don't let anyone use intimidation and fear to hand over your civil liberties.  You don't have to answer as a prick as many of the youtube videos show, but ask the simple question like Am I being Charged or detained.  No matter your race, if you are perceived as being guilty by an officer they will try every trick in the book to facilitate self incrimination.  It's a whole lot easier than doing actual policework. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons