Resumes

Started by 4and26, January 12, 2006, 12:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4and26

It's been about three years or so since I've had to put together a professional resume so I thought I see if anyone out there can give me some ideas.           Is there an HR person out there who could tell me the do's and dont's or a web site that someone knows of with tips, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Wingspan

use the F word. it's an attention grabber
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Zanshin

What do you do?

Generally speaking, stay away from lengthy exposition, and use bullets to highlight accomplishments.  Whenever possible point to specific numbers, especially if it's revenue-generating or cost-saving in some way.

Diomedes

Don't lie about anything that can be proven.  Do lie about everything else.

Spell correctly.

Don't tell people your hobbies or "other interests," like reading books or riding your motorcycle, unless your hobby is so remarkable that it reflects on your character, like marathon runner or solo across the atlantic sailor, etc.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SunMo

Quote from: Diomedes on January 12, 2006, 12:35:54 PM
Don't tell people your hobbies or "other interests," like reading books or riding your motorcycle, unless your hobby is so remarkable that it reflects on your character, like marathon runner or solo across the atlantic sailor, etc.

or serial rapist
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

typ3 1t juzt lik3 the kewl k1dz do on teh 1nt3rn3tz. 

4and26

Quote from: Zanshin on January 12, 2006, 12:34:45 PM
What do you do?

Generally speaking, stay away from lengthy exposition, and use bullets to highlight accomplishments.  Whenever possible point to specific numbers, especially if it's revenue-generating or cost-saving in some way.

I'm in the IT world - Manager type roll - Enterprise Architect

Diomedes

riffing on Zanshin here: Regarding figures:  How much money/sales did you generate for the company?  How much money have you been responsible for spending?  For recieving?  Were you responsible for procurement of supplies and if so, how much?  Did you supervise employees, how many, did you hire fire and review them?  Were you ever responsible for cash, how much?  Were you responsible for management of stock/inventory, etc, how much value, etc?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

4and26

Feva

Quote from: 4and26 on January 12, 2006, 12:41:17 PM
What do you do?

When you put it on your resume, make sure it says "Manager type role".
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Sgt PSN

rjs246

Refer to yourself as Chunky Lover 69 at least four times.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Zanshin

Quote from: 4and26 on January 12, 2006, 12:41:17 PM
What do you do?

Generally speaking, stay away from lengthy exposition, and use bullets to highlight accomplishments. Whenever possible point to specific numbers, especially if it's revenue-generating or cost-saving in some way.

Okay, you can still be specific with the number stuff.  Take a look on the usual suspect job sites and find a resume in your field that you like quite a bit-- and steal from it relentlessly.  Make SURE you have your dates right and that you don't have any misspellings.  You'd be amazed how many companies do a full background check these days.  Many firms outsource it to another company, who generates a report on you.  One I had done on me went through every reference I provided, checked out every job I had listed, checked the dates, checked the salary where possible (not many give out that info, checked criminal records, and even my driver's licence information.  Just FYI.

Sgt PSN

Don't forget to mention how much time you spend on :CF .  I bet those IT guys will love that. 

fansince61

Quote from: 4and26 on January 12, 2006, 12:26:34 PM
It's been about three years or so since I've had to put together a professional resume so I thought I see if anyone out there can give me some ideas.           Is there an HR person out there who could tell me the do's and dont's or a web site that someone knows of with tips, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Employer: Tell the truth otherwise you will be exposed