Alshon Jeffrey, Philadelphia Eagle

Started by SD, March 09, 2017, 04:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

QB Eagles

I don't really care much for Barnwell, but so far this is his favorite free agent signing, in fact the only one that gets a grade above B+.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwellx2017FAgrades/bill-barnwell-grades-big-2017-free-agent-deals-nfl

Gave a B+ to the Torrey Smith deal too.

Sgt PSN

The Torrey Smith deal got a major bump from the Jeffery signing, imo.  It was like a C/C+ on it's own and would have remained there had it been the only/best FA receiver they acquired. 

Tomahawk

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 09, 2017, 04:24:50 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on March 09, 2017, 04:18:29 PM
Logic for a one year deal?

get to take a look at a walking injury for a year with no future committment....then after a year if hes healthy and productive with wentz you can ink him long term

Because a walking injury who stays healthy for a year will never be hurt again?

AshishPatel81

Quote from: Eagaholic on March 09, 2017, 08:06:14 PM
Except if he proves he's an elite level WR there may be 5 other teams knocking on his door who can throw way more $$ at him than the Birds can. Still, it gives them the inside track and a tag and trade wouldn't be the worst thing if it turns out they can't afford him.

Then they can tag him and buy time to sign him to a long-term deal.

Tomahawk

This is his sixth season in the NFL; he's already shown his ceiling, or his level of eliteness. Justifying a one year deal by "him staying healthy for this year proves he'll never get hurt again" doesn't make sense to me.

AshishPatel81

The one year deal was probably more Jeffery's idea than the Eagles. He wants to make bank, and he wasn't gonna get it with his value perceived lower by the league. This is his chance to build it back up in a situation he thought was best.

Rome

He may have gotten a multi-year deal from a Cleveland or Jacksonville or even the Vikings, but the smart money was to take the deal from someone, and play himself into a better one next year.  I'm just shocked that he chose the Eagles because let's face it, it's not like they're some offensive juggernaut.  I like what they did with Torrey Smith and the Warmack pickup is nice for depth along the line, (and yes, he could be a starter, but who knows) but the running game is still a huge question mark and the quarterback is still unproven.   Just saying, there's other teams out there with better situations for a guy like him to prove his worth.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Eagaholic on March 09, 2017, 10:03:51 PM
Quote from: Rome on March 09, 2017, 08:36:17 PM
Quote from: General_Failure on March 09, 2017, 08:25:10 PM

If he has a decent enough season to get an offer from another team, he's at least bought them another season to find a real receiver to grow up with Wentz.

This was exactly my thought. 
Yeah, even with some Howie magic it's still best case scenario a 2 year rebuild before they are a threat to go deep in the playoffs.

year two just started....so at least year four or five until any deep playoff run happens
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

I agree with you but the Eagles don't seem to be approaching it that way.  You don't act as aggressively as they have if you're planning on a run in 2020. 

Eagaholic

Actually the Eagles are in year 12 of rebuilding but who's counting?

Teams won't admit they are rebuilding for more than a year if at all, they think it's bad for ticket sales. But smart teams realize there's a difference between turning around a bad team in a year to make the playoffs where 'once you get in anything can happen,' vs having a legit shot at a championship. I'm not even sure which way the Eagles brain trust is looking at it but I have to think it is taking a long view since Howie decided to dismantle Chips team. 

Eagaholic

And yeah Alshon is basically doing a Maclin, betting on himself to prove he is worthy of getting a better long term payoff. Even if one healthy year doesn't prove anything long term, it can be a difference maker in getting better long term offers from more desirable clubs.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on March 10, 2017, 07:32:34 AM
I agree with you but the Eagles don't seem to be approaching it that way.  You don't act as aggressively as they have if you're planning on a run in 2020. 

other than the moves to get wentz which was a move for the future i dont know what they have done that would be deemed aggressive...trading picks and signing brandon cooks long term would be aggressive...signing alshon jeffery to a one year deal to me is not

anyway the best evidence that they are in the process of a long term plan is from the GM himself less than a week ago

"You've got to take some short-term pains for that, and hopefully, when you do that, you get the long-term gains," Roseman said. "You want to do something that so two, three, four years from now that maybe you have that opportunity to add that missing piece, or one piece, you have that flexibility."

"We're not sitting here and saying we're one player away - that if we just sign this one guy, that's going to put us in position to just get over the top," Roseman said Wednesday at the NFL scouting combine. "We're going to try to build this piece-by-piece and be aware of the risk involved in things. That doesn't mean we don't take some risks or have to get through the moment at certain positions, but that's our plan."

ice grillin you

PhillyPhreak54

Four year extension through 2021

$52m with an additional $1m per year in incentives