Soccer

Started by Diomedes, July 09, 2009, 06:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

I went last night to RFK to see the highest level soccer match I've ever witnessed.  It was a double header in the Gold Cup, which is a tournament between central and north american teams.  First match was Haiti vs. Grenada.  Haiti prevailed 2-0.   The headliner game was USA vs. Honduras, with the same score as the result, USA getting the win. 

There were only 26,000 or so fans, but it was a fantastic atmosphere.  It was hard to tell who the crowd supported more, as Honduras were very well represented.  The first U.S. goal was good...you could see the play developing for a while and the payoff was gratifying.  The second goal was quicker, and sealed the game.

Traffic getting out wasn't bad because the average passengers per car was eight.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Soccer gets its own thread. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Don Ho

How's my boy Brian Ching!
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Rome

It's about farging time.

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

It ought to have an entire forum.

I've recently decided to support Liverpool in the premier league based on my love for the Pink Floyd song Fearless from Meddle (1971). 

SunMo

is that what the chanting is at the end?  from a liverpool match?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Diomedes

yeah, the song You'll Never Walk Alone (Rodgers and Hammerstein 1945)

wiki on the song:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27ll_Never_Walk_Alone_(song)

Diomedes

Diomedes

Rome

that shtein is awesome.

Diomedes

Fly Eagles Fly doesn't compare, even if it is the best NFL fan song.

Fan_Since_64

Quote from: Diomedes on July 09, 2009, 06:44:05 PM

I've recently decided to support Liverpool in the premier league based on my love for the Pink Floyd song Fearless from Meddle (1971). 

Excellent!  :yay

I admit, I have little feel for the game, although I certainly don't have anything against it (a game with 2 billion or so fans around the world must have something going for it!). I've known a few soccer fans in the US who are very passionate about the game, and with my regular visits to Thailand since 2006, I've had some interesting conversations, mostly with Europeans, about it (I also find it interesting that the Thais themselves are typically avid fans of English Premier League soccer).

So, I'm open to being educated.

Dio, maybe you've mentioned it on another thread, but what spurred your interest in soccer? (That question goes for any other soccer fans on the board, too)