Soccer

Started by Diomedes, July 09, 2009, 06:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

If you're asking for dark horses I'd go with Colombia or Belgium.

Spain, Brazil & Germany are the big three.

As for Chuggie's comments, Man U has been a disaster just like I thought they would.   Moyes is a clown.   The sooner that hack is sent packing, the better.   Citeh is gonna run away with it in the second half.

PhillyPhreak54

All the mexican dudes at my job said Germany...so I think I will drop some coin on them.

Has a host country's team ever won?

QB Eagles

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 12, 2014, 03:06:52 PM
Has a host country's team ever won?

A bunch of times. Being the host country is seen as being a huge advantage.

hbionic

Italy has a tough squad. They always gel at the right time during the cup and always make a strong showing. Bufon is a world class goal keeper. He sets the bar for world cup play.

Brazil has a tough squad. Neymar, Hulk, Oscar, Ramires, Luiz, Willian, Maicon, Silva, Alves,...just to name a few. Brazil will be playing with a chip on their shoulder and should be in the final playing at home.

Spain...not sure if David Villa is playing, but have a tough squad. They're defending champs.

*I spoke to some Uruguayans not too long ago...and even with some of the great talent there...they do not feel so good about their chances...even though I think they have top 10 talent. Forlan, Cavani, Suarez...world class players.

Dark Horses-

England- I think they'll disappoint as always. They just lost Theo Walcott so that's a blow to their aging squad.

U.S.- Crazier things have happened...but they need things to go their way and play mistake-free football. If they get to the knock-out stages...defenses tighten up and they have enough speed and veteran play to know how to take advantage.

Belgium- My favorite dark horse...they've got players up the ass playing throughout the EPL, and europe...top notch players...yet...they never make any noise as a national team. It will be fun to see what they do. Hard to believe they won't get out of the group stage with all that talent.

Portugal- You can never count a team out with Cristiano Ronaldo...but it will depend on how the team plays.

Netherlands- Same goes for Netherlands...top notch players, Robben, Van Persie headline the lot...but world class players throughout...suck at playing together. They were runner's up last world cup.

Argentina never seems to gel in the World Cup...they are the opposite of Italy. Full of talent but fail to do anything bast the first knock-out round. If they can pick up a head of steam at the right time...they can be a nightmare.

Germany- Well...they're Germany...but...if they're anything like recent teams...they're good enough to get to the semi's...but lose their steam at the semis.

Columbia- They've taken CONMEBOL by storm (South American Foootball Association). Falcao is a top-notch scorer.

Ivory Coast- has a fun team...no one expects them to do anything, but they have a veteran squad...long-shot dark horse behind most European favorites.

I think Brazil and Italy in final. Based on the brackets, this is 100% possible. Brazil group A, Italy group D.

Final 4- Argentina, Italy, Brazil, Spain.

Top 3- Brazil, Italy, Spain
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

hbionic

Phreak...2002 World Cup was in S. Korea and Japan...and S. Korea made some huge noise and put themselves and the fans on the map. There was plenty of controversy with the refs 'helping' S. Korea along the way.

But...yeah...like QB said...playing at home in the World Cup is probably the best home-field advantage there is in any sport. Teams rise up to the challenge.

Rome

The climate is going to be a significant factor this time around.  Brazil has a huge advantage as do the rest of the hot climate teams.  Brazil already has a huge advantage because of its rabid fan base, but adding in the climate might be too much for any other team to hang with them.  The only negative is the weight of expectations which are on their shoulders.   Brazil might spontaneously combust if they fall flat.

hbionic

I believe it's winter in Brazil in June...or late Fall....but I heard the weather should be in the 70's/80's.

PhillyPhreak54

excellent info!!

The weather there will be "winter" there for South Americans. I've been in Peru in August and that was winter for them. In Lima I wore shorts and a windbreaker...and a goddamn TROTTER JERSEY, ROME!

Rome

The weather there is the polar opposite of North America.  The further south you go the colder it gets.  Most of the areas are going to be hot and wretchedly humid, especially in Manaus, which is in the heart of the Amazonian rainforest. 

QB Eagles

Quote from: Rome on January 12, 2014, 04:18:03 PM
The weather there is the polar opposite of North America.  The further south you go the colder it gets.  Most of the areas are going to be hot and wretchedly humid, especially in Manaus, which is in the heart of the Amazonian rainforest. 

Yeah and Manaus is all of 3°S. Which means it will be experiencing as much "winter" as the northern part of Brazil is experiencing now.

hbionic

Mata to Man U.

What do you think Romey? Heavy transfer fee...but I didn't realize he is only 25 years old and he is always around the ball when Chelsea scored. Dude makes plays, and controls the ball pretty well. It was his corner kick that Drogba headed into the back of the net in the UEFA Championship final against Bayern Munich a couple of years back.

It's weird though having so much talent up front...not sure how the proper combination is going to work out...but this is bad news for our beloved Chicharito...less playing time specially when Rooney and Van Persie come back.

Rome

It's a good start.  They're going to lose RVP and Rooney anyway, so might as well get it going now.

And Chicharito has been a huge disappointment this year.  He's gotta go somewhere else to become an elite player.   It'll never happen in the EPL.

hbionic

That Liverpool v. Arsenal match yesterday was one for the ages. (Spoiler) The manner in which Liverpool dismantled Arsenal was amazing. If only Liverpool was amped to play like that every week.

By the way...Go Blues!  8)

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

hbionic

I'm the biggest Red Devil fan today.