Soccer

Started by Diomedes, July 09, 2009, 06:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Massive response tonight from the USMNT.  They won 4-0 and it could have been 6-0. 

MDS

klinsman saved for now

should be through to the hex with just t&t at home and pathetic st vincent left

a poor showing in copa america or a weak start to the hex and the german could still be gone
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

I'm not saying the fix was in last night but the Guatemalans had to have gotten a fat check to play the way they did last night.  There's hundreds of millions of dollars tied up in America's participation in the WC, and I wouldn't doubt for a second someone (or several for that matter) got caked off.

American soccer is in shambles right now.  The U-23's failed to qualify again for the Olympics and it's almost unimaginable that they've missed two straight games now.   I don't think for a second Klinsmann's job is safe regardless of what happens this summer.

MDS

france also didnt qualify, though uefa is just a wee bit better than concacaf

us also doesnt have the same kind of deep talent pool other countries do. some guys who could be helping the u23 were in columbus. but thats another issue.

klinsmann has total support of gulati who i guess gets to do whatever he wants. hes going to last into the hex and only a really poor start to that -- very possible -- could cost him his job. most likely he makes it to russia, but he must perform there. i dont think theyll settle for just making it through and losing the round of 16.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

Incredible match between Leicester City & West Ham United.   Game ends in a 2-2 draw on a penalty after several disgraceful calls by the referee put West Ham in front with less than a minute to go.

QB Eagles

I've watched more Premier League this year than ever before. I've never seen a league where so many games are decided by straight-up incorrect calls by the refs. They remind me of the NFL officials during that replacement ref season. It's a game where a single play often decides the whole match, so when the refs botch that (and there's no way to overturn them) the call just sits there, ruining the whole game.

Rome

In that particular game a questionable call resulted in a red card.  If you look at the call 10 times afterward, it's entirely possible that a red card was indicated.  I don't have a problem with that.  I mean I would have if I were a fan of the team who got zapped but that's just being a fan.  If you're going to call it like that, ok then.  But the ref had several more calls afterward that were at least as worthy of a yellows including one where the West Ham player literally horse-collared a guy to the ground in the box and the ref was less than 10 yards away staring at it when it went down.  Plain awful.

Inconsistency is the bane of any officiating crew and the Premier League certainly has its share of zesty officiating, but this guy was just terrible throughout.  He called a penalty at the end of the match that was questionable as well, but that was a total make-up job.  Even with the make up call he had security exit the pitch after the game was over.

Bottom line is as good as the game was it was still decided by the officiating crew and that's a problem for big time soccer right now.

Rome

ice grillin you

thats weaker than seven days

THIS is bananas....straight goose bumps no matter how many times I watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2cj3Bn8OeA
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Yeah, this is a soccer thread.  Post that shtein elsewhere, troll.

ice grillin you

oh I thought you were posting it because you thought those blokes went crazy or something...I must of missed your breakdown of the action on the pitch

my bad
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

hbionic

farg the Phillies. farg Tottenham.

Go foxes!

Now, to focus on 17, 18, & 19. Championship Sunday will be a great watch. How great would it be for Sunderland and Newcastle to be relegated the last day.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Don Ho

Great game going down to the wire.  Beautiful goal by Atletico to tie it up. 
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

phattymatty

gonna be a fun game tonight...torn between my love of america and my love of coke.

smeags

Quote from: phattymatty on June 03, 2016, 02:53:18 PM
gonna be a fun game tonight...torn between my love of america and my love of coke.

try pepsi. problem solved.

anyone going to the games in philly ?
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it