TV/Internet/Phone options

Started by Zanshin, February 12, 2008, 03:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

Verizon is a landline based network, Comcast didn't have a choice but to give up CSN.

CN8 has a few Phils games early in the year, but other than that you won't miss much
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: SD_Eagle on March 18, 2008, 12:14:45 PM
Only thing I hate is having to learn new channels.

I've had DirecTV for two years now and still only know a handful anyway.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: SunMo on March 18, 2008, 12:15:08 PM
Verizon is a landline based network, Comcast didn't have a choice but to give up CSN.

CN8 has a few Phils games early in the year, but other than that you won't miss much
I now that the games on CN8 are a joke from a broadcast standpoint anyway.  The best description i've heard was that watching hockey on CN8 is like taking a paper towel and wetting it, then placing that on the front of your TV.  Gotta love comcast...
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Zanshin

I had FiOS installed a few weeks ago, and I love it.  My picture quality improved dramatically, my Internet connection is much faster and more stable, and the phone service works.  Love the tons of free on-demand content, too.  Very, very happy with the decision to swtich.

Seabiscuit36

Zanshin, do you have the new Menus?  I know that they changed their menu's up in January in Delaware, and basically went from the crappy basic one that Comcrap had to a really nice one.  I got my boy to switch back in november, he canceld and wanted to still get raped by comcast because there wasnt a page up button, a month later the did all the network upgrades here, and he's stuck paying more for less. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Geowhizzer

Now that I've sold my soul to DirecTV for the next two years, I'm looking to get rid of Comcast altogether, since I'm finally getting the local channels on the dish.

Part of this would entail getting embarq and gettign rid of the cable modem.

Anyone have both of these?  Is there any discernable difference?

Zanshin

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on March 18, 2008, 12:45:08 PM
Zanshin, do you have the new Menus?  I know that they changed their menu's up in January in Delaware, and basically went from the crappy basic one that Comcrap had to a really nice one.  I got my boy to switch back in november, he canceld and wanted to still get raped by comcast because there wasnt a page up button, a month later the did all the network upgrades here, and he's stuck paying more for less. 

Beats me...probably, since I haven't had any issues with the menus.  On the on-demand side, mine sort of works like a PC file structure.  Haven't had any problems with it.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Geowhizzer on March 18, 2008, 12:49:09 PM
Now that I've sold my soul to DirecTV for the next two years, I'm looking to get rid of Comcast altogether, since I'm finally getting the local channels on the dish.

Part of this would entail getting embarq and gettign rid of the cable modem.

Anyone have both of these?  Is there any discernable difference?
I know that hughsnet isnt anywhere as close in speed.  Is there any other offers for you geo down there?  Might as well get DSL if its offered since its dirt cheap, and nearly as fast as satellite

PhillyGirl

I think I pray almost every night for FIOS to finally get to our area.

I think God hates me.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Seabiscuit36

same here PG, we are farged where im at.  Cecil County is so big and wide that we're going to be one of the last counties in MD

ice grillin you

i honestly dont see any difference btwn comcast and fios...why is fios better other than if youve had a bad experience with comcast and hate them

also how far are we away from the day when you can send dvr's of shows from one box to another...like say i wanted someone in philly to record DNL for me then send it to my cable box where i can watch it...that would be dope
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 19, 2008, 10:59:38 AM
i honestly dont see any difference btwn comcast and fios...why is fios better other than if youve had a bad experience with comcast and hate them

also how far are we away from the day when you can send dvr's of shows from one box to another...like say i wanted someone in philly to record DNL for me then send it to my cable box where i can watch it...that would be dope
1.)  Prices are lower, and the tripleplay is better since Comcast VOIP sucks. 
2.)  Picture quality is better since Fios doesnt have to compress to fit signals in an old cable based system. 
3.)  Internet is faster, and cost less when compared to comcast's offerings of higher speed internet

Slingbox is already out IGY, that you could watch someones DVR from your crib

Wingspan

You can do that now with a slingbox.

Look it up, because i am not going to spend the next hour and 50 posts explaining it.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PhillyGirl

farg Comcast.

Overpriced, zesty service, shteintier customer service.

Probably among the WORST CS I've ever experienced.

And I was a HUGE fan of Comcast for a long time.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PoopyfaceMcGee

I just found a new feature last night.  I can set my DirecTV DVR to record from the internet or my blackberry.  Pretty cool.