2017 Draft Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, January 01, 2017, 07:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Quote from: Don Ho on April 27, 2018, 08:59:08 PM
farg, Racists got Guice.

I was reading something this morning about him.  The rumor is he had a run-in of some sort with Duce during his visit.  Also - the claims he made regarding an NFL rep asking him if his Moms was a ho and if he sucked dick were fully vetted by the NFL and, in their opinion, were a total fabrication. 

So, to sum it up, he's a liar and a wacko with a checkered history.  In other words, he's perfect for the Racists.

QB Eagles

Quote"We got to know Derrius quite well. He's quite the character," Gruden said.

Don Ho

So they drafted Big V's roommate.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

General_Failure

So in the end, they wound up trading every pick but their 6th rounder, got their potential Celek replacement, scrapped their plan to troll Dallas with Mummer Kelce, moved on to their backup plan of trolling Dallas with David from Accounting, moved up to get a player the Patriots wanted, got a couple of project players, and resigned Sproles.

Grade: C- and who cares they finally won a superbowl.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

Philadelphia Eagles
Draft picks: South Dakota State TE Dallas Goedert (No. 49 overall), Pittsburgh CB Avonte Maddox (No. 125 overall), Florida State DE Josh Sweat (No. 130 overall), TCU OT Matt Pryor (No. 206 overall), OT Jordan Mailata (No. 233 overall).
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A
The skinny: General Manager Howie Roseman took advantage of other teams ignoring Lamar Jackson by trading out of the first round so Baltimore could select him. He grabbed the Ravens' 2019 second-round pick and moved up in the second round on Friday night to select a tight end they could have taken in the first round: Dallas Goedert. He'll be an outstanding player in the Jimmy Graham mold. The Eagles had given up their second-round pick to the Browns to get Carson Wentz two years ago and traded away their third-rounder to Buffalo, giving them just two picks in the first three rounds. The feisty and small Maddox can help replace Daryl Worley. Roseman reeled in Sweat, a first-round talent, in the fourth round, only because of medical concerns. Mailata's potential as a 6-foot-8, 350-pound offensive tackle without football experience (he's a former rugby player) was worth a flyer in the seventh round. They could have used a little more linebacker depth, but they might find it on the undrafted free agent market/quote]

QB Eagles

QuoteThe feisty and small Maddox can help replace Daryl Worley.

Going to be tough to make up for Worley's lost production this season.

MDS

i give the eagles a B+ with a B- for the draft and an A- for the scouting and a C+ for potential. Solid B for value.Oh and an easy B- for upside.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

TE seems to have potential but I wouldn't have went there - C

rest of the draft was super athletes except the one sloth lineman - B+

stoutland gonna work that Aussie - A

In joe d I trust - A+
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Mel Kiper, ESPN

It's good to be the Eagles. Coming off a Super Bowl title, they have no major needs and get to develop starters -- not try to draft plug-and-play guys. They're looking for impact depth. That's why we saw GM Howie Roseman trade out of the last pick in the first round to move down 20 spots and add an extra 2019 second-round pick (plus pick 125 in this draft). That 2019 pick is an extremely valuable one to stash away.

Now, you have to laugh at the Eagles trading up three spots to take tight end Dallas Goedert ahead of Dallas (49) with the draft in the Dallas area. And my best comp for Goedert all along was Zach Ertz, so now the Eagles have both players. Goedert is the best pass-catching and most athletic tight end in this class. Remember: Trey Burton and Brent Celek are both gone from 2018, so Goedert is going to play. Philadelphia led the league with 110 receptions by tight ends last season. If Goedert had gone late in Round 1 -- maybe to Philly! -- it wouldn't have surprised me.

The Eagles didn't have a third-round pick due to the Jordan Matthews-Ronald Darby swap with Buffalo last year, so Philly had only one pick on the first two days. Fourth-rounders Avonte Maddox (125) and Josh Sweat (130) are talented and athletic. Maddox was a four-year starter who ran a 4.39 at the combine. Sweat had 29 tackles for loss in college and had a 39.5-inch vertical jump at the combine. I moved up Matt Pryor (206) over the past few weeks after people in the league told me he was going to move to guard. And how about the Australian former rugby league player Jordan Mailata going late in the seventh round? Philly is going to try to make him an offensive tackle.

The reason this class isn't a straight "A"? Not a single running back (though they did announce the re-signing of Darren Sproles when the day ended). If that's the only bad thing I can say, the Eagles must have had a good day.

Grade: A-

ice grillin you

Philadelphia Eagles: C

The Eagles traded out of the first round with Baltimore and then took tight end Dallas Goedert in the second. He will play a backup role to Zach Ertz as the replacement for Trey Burton. He is a nice pass-catching tight end. Fourth-round edge Josh Sweat has good pass-rush ability, but there are some injury concerns. The Eagles didn't have a lot of picks, trading a second to move up two years ago to get Carson Wentz and a third to Buffalo to get corner Ronald Darby last year.

-------------------------

Philadelphia Eagles

Draft Picks:

South Dakota State TE Dallas Goedert (No. 49 overall), Pittsburgh CB Avonte Maddox (No. 125 overall), Florida State DE Josh Sweat (No. 130 overall), TCU OT Matt Pryor (No. 206 overall), OT Jordan Mailata (No. 233 overall)

The benefit of building a Super Bowl winner is there are few immediate holes to be concerned about. Philadelphia Eagles general manager Howie Roseman made the most out of his limited picks despite having just three selections in the top 130 picks. Tight end Dallas Goedert and edge-rusher Josh Sweat will be rotational players immediately and were unexpectedly available when the Eagles were on the clock.

Goedert will assume Trey Burton's old role as a versatile player, freeing Zach Ertz to star as a receiver. Sweat, who has knee injuries in his past, is an incredible athlete with upside who will assume a starting role once several of the Eagles veterans exit their prime years. But the real steal is Avonte Maddox.

The small-school cornerback is an ideal slot fit. He'll slide into the void left by Patrick Robinson, as there's no corner on the roster with the skill set to be an impactful slot defender. Watch for Maddox to establish himself as a steal early in his career with the team.

Grade: B+

-------------------------

Philadelphia Eagles

2.17 – Dallas Goedert (TE – South Dakota State)
4.25 – Avonte Maddox (CB – Pittsburgh)
4.30 – Josh Sweat (EDGE – Florida State)
6.32 – Matt Pryor (OT – TCU)
7.15 – Jordan Mallata (OT – None)

Coming off winning the Super Bowl, the Eagles are a team with few holes, though they didn't exactly fill all their needs with just one pick in the first three rounds. They replaced Trey Burton with Goedert, who some considered to be the best tight end in the class. After taking the highest cornerback on their board in Maddox, who figures to fight for the nickel cornerback slot that was occupied by Patrick Robinson last year, they got a steal when they took Sweat, who if not for injury concerns, would have been a first-round pick. He dislocated his knee in high school and tore three ligaments, which will force him to come off the field at times, as well as miss practice. But when on the field, he's a force to be reckoned with, even if the Eagles didn't need an edge rusher. They never filled their inside linebacker need and didn't add anyone to the stable of wide receivers, which is a letdown. They also drafted a guy who's never played a down of football in his life. Seriously. He's a rugby player they plan on trying to make work on the offensive line.

Draft Grade: C+

-------------------------------

Philadelphia Eagles
Picks: TE Dallas Goedert (2); CB Avonte Maddox (4); LB Josh Sweat (4); OT Matt Pryor (6); OT Jordan Mailata (7).
Analysis: The Eagles made the smart move to bail out of the first round and pick up a 2019 second-round pick in the process. Moving one pick ahead of the Cowboys to draft tight end Dallas Goedert at No. 49 was smart; he replaces Trey Burton in the offense. Avonte Maddox is a slot cornerback who can replace Patrick Robinson, who left in free agency. There are concerns about Josh Sweat's knee, but that's why he was there in the fourth round and that's a fine gamble. The pick of mountainous Australian rugby player Jordan Mailata is a fun one. The champs did fine without much ammunition.

Grade: C+

---------------------------------------

Philadelphia Eagles: B+ Grade

Goals Entering the 2018 NFL Draft: The Eagles must trade down because they don't pick after the first round until No. 130 overall. Then again, they barely have any significant needs, so they can focus on selecting the best player available every step of the way.

2018 NFL Draft Accomplishments: Philadelphia decided that trading down was the way to go, especially after its preferred target, Sony Michel, was snatched off the board one spot earlier. This was a wise move, as picking up extra picks was essential. The Eagles acquired two second-round choices, one of which will be in the loaded 2019 NFL Draft class.

With some extra ammo the Eagles moved ahead of the Cowboys to take athletic tight end Dallas Goedert at No. 49 overall. Philadelphia obtained a talented player to fill a need, all while stealing a player its biggest rival coveted. This was yet another example of why Howie Roseman is arguably the best general manager in the NFL.

The Eagles made some quality choices on Day 3. They began with cornerback Avonte Maddox, who was a slight bargain at No. 125 overall. Maddox will be able to cover the slot, and the Eagles needed someone like that in the wake of Patrick Robinson's departure. Five selections later, Philadelphia landed an absolute steal in defensive end Josh Sweat. The Florida State product would've been a first-round pick if it wasn't for injury concerns. He would've been a risk as a Friday pick, but getting him near the bottom of Round 4 provided incredible value.

It's no surprise that the Eagles did very well. They didn't have much to work with entering the draft, but they landed some talented players who will help in an effort to repeat as Super Bowl champions. The extra second-rounder acquired for 2019 is the cherry on top.

------------------------------------------

Philadelphia Eagles: A-
Draft picks: TE Dallas Goedert (South Dakota State), CB Avonte Maddox (Pittsburgh), DE Josh Sweat (Florida State), OT Matt Pryor (TCU), T Jordan Mailata (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

Howie Roseman keeps adding depth where the Super Bowl 52 champions lost it, as Goedert (Trey Burton), Maddox (Patrick Robinson) and Sweat (Vinny Curry) help the Eagles reload that those positions. With Jason Peters 36 and coming off a major knee injury, Pryor is a worthy developmental tackle. Mailata, the raw rugby renegade from Down Under, was a worthy gamble for a confident team.

----------------------------------

Philadelphia Eagles
Draft picks: South Dakota State TE Dallas Goedert (No. 49 overall), Pittsburgh CB Avonte Maddox (No. 125 overall), Florida State DE Josh Sweat (No. 130 overall), TCU OT Matt Pryor (No. 206 overall), OT Jordan Mailata (No. 233 overall).
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A

The skinny: General Manager Howie Roseman took advantage of other teams ignoring Lamar Jackson by trading out of the first round so Baltimore could select him. He grabbed the Ravens' 2019 second-round pick and moved up in the second round on Friday night to select a tight end they could have taken in the first round: Dallas Goedert. He'll be an outstanding player in the Jimmy Graham mold. The Eagles had given up their second-round pick to the Browns to get Carson Wentz two years ago and traded away their third-rounder to Buffalo, giving them just two picks in the first three rounds. The feisty and small Maddox can help replace Daryl Worley. Roseman reeled in Sweat, a first-round talent, in the fourth round, only because of medical concerns. Mailata's potential as a 6-foot-8, 350-pound offensive tackle without football experience (he's a former rugby player) was worth a flyer in the seventh round. They could have used a little more linebacker depth, but they might find it on the undrafted free agent market.

------------------------------------

Philadelphia Eagles: A-
Top needs: Offensive tackle, linebacker, wide receiver

It's good to be the Eagles. Coming off a Super Bowl title, they have no major needs and get to develop starters -- not try to draft plug-and-play guys. They're looking for impact depth. That's why we saw GM Howie Roseman trade out of the last pick in the first round to move down 20 spots and add an extra 2019 second-round pick (plus pick 125 in this draft). That 2019 pick is an extremely valuable one to stash away.

Now, you have to laugh at the Eagles trading up three spots to take tight end Dallas Goedert ahead of Dallas (49) with the draft in the Dallas area. And my best comp for Goedert all along was Zach Ertz, so now the Eagles have both players. Goedert is the best pass-catching and most athletic tight end in this class. Remember: Trey Burton and Brent Celek are both gone from 2018, so Goedert is going to play. Philadelphia led the league with 110 receptions by tight ends last season. If Goedert had gone late in Round 1 -- maybe to Philly! -- it wouldn't have surprised me.

The Eagles didn't have a third-round pick due to the Jordan Matthews-Ronald Darby swap with Buffalo last year, so Philly had only one pick on the first two days. Fourth-rounders Avonte Maddox (125) and Josh Sweat (130) are talented and athletic. Maddox was a four-year starter who ran a 4.39 at the combine. Sweat had 29 tackles for loss in college and had a 39.5-inch vertical jump at the combine. I moved up Matt Pryor (206) over the past few weeks after people in the league told me he was going to move to guard. And how about the Australian former rugby league player Jordan Mailata going late in the seventh round? Philly is going to try to make him an offensive tackle.

The reason this class isn't a straight "A"? Not a single running back (though they did announce the re-signing of Darren Sproles when the day ended). If that's the only bad thing I can say, the Eagles must have had a good day.

---------------------------------------------

Philadelphia Eagles

Day 1: n/a

Day 2: With one pick in the first two days of the draft, it's just as well the Eagles roster is in good shape, and they showed that by making something of a luxury pick with the selection of TE Dallas Goedert out of South Dakota State. Goedert has reminded many in the pre-draft process of Zach Ertz, so it's interesting to see the two players on the same roster. Against admittedly questionable competition, Goedert was on another level of dominance, averaging 8.1 yards per catch after the reception and breaking a dozen tackles along the way. Goedert's run-blocking grade was solid, but this was against FCS competition and it will be unlikely to be a major strength at the next level.

Day 3: Josh Sweat is an edge rusher a lot of people had higher on their boards but had some injury concerns. He had 34 total pressures in 2017 and 32 defensive stops. Avonte Maddox would be a much higher pick if he wasn't just 5-foot-9 as he had 30 pass breakups over the past four seasons. They also grabbed an Australian NRL rugby player in OT Jordan Mailata in the seventh round as a flier.

Overall grade: Good

-------------------------------------------

Philadelphia Eagles: B-

Champs often draft for depth, and GM Howie Roseman traded down to get more. Stealing TE "Dallas" Goedert in Jerry Jones' backyard was a nice touch. But getting Florida State pass rusher Josh Sweat in Round 4 might wind up being Roseman's best pick.

Cthulhu

Susquehanna Birder

I cringe when they say that Goedert is a backup to Ertz, with barely a mention of filling the vacuum made by Celek's departure. Really? Do any of these experts even watch how the TE system works in this system? Was Celek a backup for anybody? Basically they got a guy who has ridiculous hands (arguably better than Burton, based on his highlight reel) and who can block. To dismiss the pick as a mere backup is really missing the point.

ice grillin you

he's a back up because he is going to get far less snaps than ertz

and to be honest who knows if he will contribute much at all this year...i personally believe he will play a good amount but he is still a rookie...I mean id ask how is he not a back up...just because there might be some times when they are both on the field at the same time?

and yes celek was a back up TE in the nfl last year...although I suppose you could call him a second or third stringer if back up is cringe worthy

QB Eagles

Celek played in 32% of the offensive snaps in the Super Bowl.

That's because he was the backup TE btw.

MDS

what constititues a backup in the nfl? id go more with that term of a qb, ol who doesnt play unless theres injury or the starter sucks. goedert to me is the 2nd tight end.

important stuff here.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.