Dead in 2012

Started by BigEd76, January 02, 2012, 02:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on May 02, 2012, 03:23:07 PMHe shot himself in the chest.....

I see dignity and honor in this kind of thing.  I don't know the man personally, but from what I've read I'll assume he knew what he was doing and went out on his own terms.   

Quote from: phattymatty on May 02, 2012, 03:37:07 PM
c'mon ladies. they're not canceling football.
idiots.

Nope.  But get it straight, CTE is going to change the game in a big way. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Don Ho

Quote from: hbionic on May 02, 2012, 04:46:24 PM
How so Don?

I was referring to what Sarge posted about Seau driving his SUV off the cliff.  I believe it was in Carlsbad.  He claimed he fell asleep but "reports" surfaced it was a suicide attempt.  I thought there was another incident but can't recall. 

He always came across as a real cool guy.  Always personable and friendly when out here for the Pro Bowl.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

im sure not ALL cases of lung cancer in smokers is caused by smoking either
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

rjs246

I think it's easy for us to dismiss the idea of serious changes to the league because we're football fans and the violence is part of what draws us to it. But for people who don't live and die with football, shtein like this, and the implication (right or wrong) that football was the cause, is appalling and inexcusable. When those voices become loud enough we will see drastic changes. Guaranteed.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: rjs246 on May 02, 2012, 10:18:30 PM
When those voices become loud enough we will see drastic changes. Guaranteed.

Except "those voices" belong to people who don't really care about uneducated black folk (or deck builder in this case) who get hit in the head a lot and die early in life.

rjs246

Enough with the racial shtein. Cornfed Nebraska honkies in the trenches will suffer from this shtein just like anyone else. At some point the chorus against will out-shout the hard core fans.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

hbionic

rjs, you're acting like a negative overlord again. Tone it down.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

phattymatty

by the time they have a sample size big enough to prove that there's an actual scientific connection between these guys offing themselves and football, we'll all be long gone.

how many musicians, actors, famous people kill themselves. the answer is lots. and they don't get their brains smashed on the regular.

people get farged up for various reasons and handle their shtein in different ways.

yeah it's common sense that playing football fargs you up. but this won't change anything.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: rjs246 on May 02, 2012, 10:58:47 PM
Enough with the racial shtein. Cornfed Nebraska honkies in the trenches will suffer from this shtein just like anyone else. At some point the chorus against will out-shout the hard core fans.

Freddiette makes a good point. Boxing and MMA would go away first. The NFL will probably just get away with more token efforts to improve safety. Maybe helmets that are soft on the inside AND outside, perhaps?

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: rjs246 on May 02, 2012, 10:18:30 PM
I think it's easy for us to dismiss the idea of serious changes to the league because we're football fans and the violence is part of what draws us to it. But for people who don't live and die with football, shtein like this, and the implication (right or wrong) that football was the cause, is appalling and inexcusable. When those voices become loud enough we will see drastic changes. Guaranteed.

To wit:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/19/091019fa_fact_gladwell

Quote from: phattymatty on May 03, 2012, 01:15:21 AM
by the time they have a sample size big enough to prove that there's an actual scientific connection between these guys offing themselves and football, we'll all be long gone.

how many musicians, actors, famous people kill themselves. the answer is lots. and they don't get their brains smashed on the regular.

people get farged up for various reasons and handle their shtein in different ways.

yeah it's common sense that playing football fargs you up. but this won't change anything.

Yeah, because the government and other types don't fly off the handle over sensationalized things like this - say HGH or steroids in baseball.

I think this thing with Seau certainly has the chance to cause enough of a scene that an inquiry by dopes who know or care little for the actual statistics could occur, and that it could have a dramatic impact on the sport. Am I saying seasons or the game will be canceled? No. I will say this is something the league has obviously been very worried about for a few years now, and have been left to their own devices on it. Seau was an all-star, and one of the most popular players in the sport recently, it has the potential to attract a shteinload of uninformed second-guessers with power to impose all sorts of funniness.

All that being said, probably a good time to move this stuff over to the CTE thread.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

phattymatty

pour one out for MCA

i hate emoticons but this deserves 1,000 sad faces.

RIP kid

QB Eagles

Quote from: phattymatty on May 04, 2012, 01:01:55 PM
pour one out for MCA

i hate emoticons but this deserves 1,000 sad faces.

RIP kid

For real? shtein.

QB Eagles

Yeah it's all over the place now. I guess he tried beating treatable cancer with the vegan Buddhist Steve Jobs approach.

hbionic

What the farg? No sonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!   :'(
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05