Five Duquesne Basektball Players Shot

Started by PhillyPhreak54, September 17, 2006, 08:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

ESPN.com

QuoteFive Duquesne basketball players were shot on campus early Sunday, leaving at least one critically injured, after some of them tried to calm a man who apparently had been disruptive at a dance, officials said.

Police searched for the gunman, and the downtown school stepped up its round-the-clock police protection with armed university police officers guarding dormitories and other buildings.

Two players had been walking near a dormitory when they encountered a man who apparently had been disruptive at a student union dance, authorities said. The players attempted to pacify him and walked away but were shot. Players who rushed to their aid were also shot.

In critical condition was forward Sam Ashaolu of Toronto, a transfer from Lake Region State College and a cousin of former Houston Rockets star Hakeem Olajuwon.

Ashaolu was shot in the head, a Duquesne source told ESPN.com's Andy Katz. His parents were traveling to Pittsburgh on Sunday to be with their son.

In serious condition was Stuard Baldonado of Colombia, a transfer from Miami Dade College who was considered the school's best recruit.

Baldonado was shot in the elbow and the bullet entered his body, the Duquesne source told Katz.

Also hospitalized was Kojo Mensah, a guard from New York City who averaged nearly 17 points last season at Siena College before transferring. He was believed shot in the shoulder, but his condition was not released.

Treated and released were Shawn James of New York City, the nation's leading shot blocker last season at Northeastern University before transferring to Duquesne; and Aaron Jackson of Hartford, Conn., a guard who is one of only two returning players from Duquesne's 3-24 team last season.

MDS

I wonder if one of them was the player who said "farg you" to me when I sarcastically cheered their 12 point first half effort against Temple last year.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

QB Eagles

Every time there's a shooting like this, it seems like the Pittsburgh cops have to mount a manhunt. They seem incapable of ever stopping a suspect at the scene of the crime. It's a relatively low-crime city, but the police sure like to keep it interesting for us residents.