10 questions facing the defense

Started by SD_Eagle5, July 25, 2007, 06:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

An FYI on Considine;

I saw a pic of him in the Inky and on CSN and he definitely looks like he bulked up.

Diomedes

Well that's nice.  Really, it can't hurt.  But I'm not exactly hopeful.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD_Eagle5

Bulking up fom 195 isn't hard to do - especially when your playing weight is usually closer to 210

SunMo

QuoteConsidine is a Johnson favorite because of his deep understanding of the defense and knack for being in the right place at the right time. Fans are down on Considine because he got trampled a few times in rush defense, but Johnson hasn't wavered in his support, saying he'd be "shocked" if Considine doesn't become an outstanding player.

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

I don't believe the hype. Dude showed absolutely nothing last year. Zip. Now we're supposed to believe he is going to make a complete 180, and go from completely invisible, to a dominant force? I've heard that before. I'm not so worried. I think Reagor and Scott were upgrades by themselves, so if Bunkley is a dud, it's not like there is an abyss behind him.

best answer in the thread...should bunkley be improved sure...but this notion that hes gonna flip a switch and become some force is pretty far fetched...imo there a bigger chance he does what he did last year than there is he becomes a stud...

however i totally agree that they have some nice options to fall back on...DT is much like LB...i dont think bunkley or spikes have to be the savoir that people think hope or say they will be...they just have to be better than their respective positions were last year...and that isnt hard to do...

kearse has been just ok for about five years now...long before he wrecked his knee...you gotta say its up in the air as to how well he can play this year

i dont get the howard being cut talk...kearse gets cut before howard...tho obviously there is a miniscule chance of either

im tired of the trent cole needs to be in a rotation crap...based on talent hes either good enough to be a full time starter or hes a back up...what does derrick burgess have that cole doesnt?...or any other full time defensive end that doesnt play in a rotation....btw hes good enough to be a full time starter
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Dillen

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 26, 2007, 12:06:06 PM
..what does derrick burgess have that cole doesnt?
Being able to play in the dumbest farging defensive "scheme" in the entire NFL. Oakland lets him go after the QB every single play, regardless of the situation.

Diomedes

Cole made more than a few stops against the run last year...he's fine as a full time starter.

I like Scott.  I think he's going to stand out in this group.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Good comparison on Burgess and Cole in the sense that all Burgess needed was a shot to play and he blossomed. Oh, and he had to keep all ligaments and tendons intact too.

But Killa, as much as I like him, needs to prove he can withstand a full season. I give him a pass on 2005 because he showed a lot as a 5th round pick from Brent Celek U. on a zesty team...and rookies always hit the wall. But last year he faded too. He also needs more than a speed rush and a bull rush...he has to learn to set guys up better to get more pressure.

But a lot of the DE issues go back to Kearse not being there. He's the guy who makes the pass rush go because of the attention he gets. If he's out there, regardless of what he's doing, he's being paid attention to.

If, if, if Bunkley can add what he is supposed to add, that is one helluva DL simply because Bunkley would draw attention too.

ice grillin you

But Killa, as much as I like him, needs to prove he can withstand a full season

see this is what i dont get...define withstand?...what is so special about trent cole vs other players...hes bigger than some (burgess for example) is in as good a shape as any and stronger than most...so what do you mean by withstand

if you mean he has to prove he can play at a high level for the whole season then fine...which as i said means you wanna know if hes good enough to be an nfl starter...but this withstand stuff as if hes out of shape or the size of a safety doesnt fly imo
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 26, 2007, 12:29:38 PM
But Killa, as much as I like him, needs to prove he can withstand a full season

see this is what i dont get...define withstand?...what is so special about trent cole vs other players...hes bigger than some (burgess for example) is in as good a shape as any and stronger than most...so what do you mean by withstand

if you mean he has to prove he can play at a high level for the whole season then fine...which as i said means you wanna know if hes good enough to be an nfl starter...but this withstand stuff as if hes out of shape or the size of a safety doesnt fly imo

Take out withstand and replace it with consistent. That's what I'm taking about. He has to be able to get to the QB late in the season, something he hasn't shown he can do yet. I think he can do it, but he's got to show it.

Diomedes

There's no better way to see if he can do it than to play him full time.

Munson

IGY its not a question of whether he's good enough to be a starter or not. The point is that he is MUCH more dangerous coming in on fresh legs on 3rd down. If they can keep him in that sort of rotation all year, he'll notch double digit sacks.

Being fresh goes a long way in the NFL.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

rjs246

Quote from: Munson on July 26, 2007, 01:02:41 PM
IGY its not a question of whether he's good enough to be a starter or not. The point is that he is MUCH more dangerous coming in on fresh legs on 3rd down. If they can keep him in that sort of rotation all year, he'll notch double digit sacks.

Being fresh goes a long way in the NFL.

Clown.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

Battle to Internet Death:  Clown vs. Douche