Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

You're better off getting a power inverter for your car, and just using your regular laptop plug.  The power inverter I got from Amazon was only $20...it gives you two regular plug outlets.  Works great.

Zanshin

ice grillin you

thats looks to be what i got...a different model but same thing...at least it seems so
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

mussa

Quote from: phattymatty on May 20, 2007, 02:39:18 PM
speaking of laptops, what do i need to hook my laptop into my tv?  i realized that with all the free movies i've been watching there is no reason to be watching it on a small screen.

im getting a DVI to HDMI cord. 50 bucks at radioshack, but i think seabiscuit or someone posted a link to a website with better prices in the tv assistance thread, so im gonna check that out. wireless mouse, wireless keyboard and your set.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Sgt PSN

Quote from: mussa on May 20, 2007, 08:45:04 PM
speaking of laptops, what do i need to hook my laptop into my tv?  i realized that with all the free movies i've been watching there is no reason to be watching it on a small screen.

im getting a DVI to HDMI cord. 50 bucks at radioshack, but i think seabiscuit or someone posted a link to a website with better prices in the tv assistance thread, so im gonna check that out. wireless mouse, wireless keyboard and your set.

mussa, would that work with a desktop as well or just a lap top?   Assuming of course, the desktop pc is within range for the wireless mouse and keyboard.  Basically, all you're doing is turning your tv into a big monitor, right? 

mussa

yes sir. the reason i said dvi to hdmi is because we have the same tv. our tv doesn't have a dvi input, and some others do, so it depends on your tv and what other devices you have, like DVD player, PS3 or whatever. the only other thing that could effect it is, your graphics card on your desktop. it should prob be pretty decent to handle the resolution of the tv. im not real sure about that though...
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 20, 2007, 08:59:18 PM
Quote from: mussa on May 20, 2007, 08:45:04 PM

mussa, would that work with a desktop as well or just a lap top?   Assuming of course, the desktop pc is within range for the wireless mouse and keyboard.  Basically, all you're doing is turning your tv into a big monitor, right? 
VGA is the best route if your Video card doesnt support DVI or HDMI.  Sarge checkout www.monoprice.com for cheap wires by the way. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

mussa

Just ordered a DVI to HDMI and saved 20 bucks. Hopefully everything will go well once plugged in to my laptop.

mussa

Got the cord today and just hooked it up. Works pretty well. the only thing is the TV I can only set to automatic, so it shrinks the screen slightly

ice grillin you

no one cares but i got my lighter socket johnson

its an invertor and its not big at all

Seabiscuit36

Power inverters are awsome.  Especially if your traveling or tailgating
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

explain to me why they are awesome...or more awesome than just pluging in your radio directly to your lighter socket

Seabiscuit36

If your traveling, you can power up laptops/ipods/any thing with the proper wattage.  For tailgating, we've used them for keeping the crock pot going. 

ice grillin you

the laptop part i get thats why i got one

i was more talking about the tailgating aspect...lets say your crockpot had the adaptor at the end of its cord that would go right into the lighter of your car...you would need no inverter correct...in other words all an inverter does is allow you to plug regular cords into your car...or is there other advantages of it

i wasnt sure if it saved your battery more than if you directly plugged something in

Seabiscuit36

i've never seen a crockpot offer a lighter socket adapter, but if it did, and somehow converted the dc/ac or whatever it is, then yes no need for an invertor.