Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: rjs246 on April 08, 2013, 09:20:39 AM
Part of what I like is that it's more or less easy to follow what's going on even if you don't know every character or know what the hell their motivations are. If it's important eventually it will be made plain. But in the meantime, reading a post like Munson's makes my head hurt because I have no idea what the farg he's talking about.

Basically.

Karstark is the older guy with Robb.  Jaime killed his son and he wanted him executed.  He told Robb last episode that he thinks marrying Talisa will lose him the war.

Bolton is like Robb's #2.  He is who had people out looking for Jaime.

They haven't gotten very in depth with either.

Last night was like the 2nd half of the premiere.  I liked both episodes but most reviewers said the first two were slower.  The pace is about to pickup rather quickly from here on out.

SD

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on April 08, 2013, 09:50:31 AM
Quote from: rjs246 on April 08, 2013, 09:20:39 AM
Part of what I like is that it's more or less easy to follow what's going on even if you don't know every character or know what the hell their motivations are. If it's important eventually it will be made plain. But in the meantime, reading a post like Munson's makes my head hurt because I have no idea what the farg he's talking about.

Basically.

Karstark is the older guy with Robb.  Jaime killed his son and he wanted him executed.  He told Robb last episode that he thinks marrying Talisa will lose him the war.

Bolton is like Robb's #2.  He is who had people out looking for Jaime.

They haven't gotten very in depth with either.

Last night was like the 2nd half of the premiere.  I liked both episodes but most reviewers said the first two were slower.  The pace is about to pickup rather quickly from here on out.

Thanks for the character explanation.

Unlike a show like say the Walking Dead where you can mute the entire show and still know what's going on, with GOT I find myself listening to closely to their dialect.

Maybe I missed it last week but how did Theon get himself locked up and tortured? Last I remember seeing him was in last seasons finale when he was giving that speech and then he gets knocked out. I thought the people who knocked him out were his sisters men.

And I was zesty last night trying to follow along, but who took down Winterfell?

Eagles_Legendz

They have completely changed the Winterfell storyline.  If I hadn't read the books I'd have no clue wtf was going on with Theon.  I think you're purposely supposed to be somewhat disoriented about what's happening to Theon and by who.  Same with Winterfell.  It was more straightforward in the books but probably a spoiler to give away in the show.

BTW - if you want to keep track of characters in an entire non-spoiler way, HBO updates this and it's really good & useful.

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/season3/

SD

That makes sense. I avoid spoilers but I'm assuming at some point Robb Stark and his army are going to square off against the House Frey because Robb didn't live up to his marriage agreement. I'm taking what his #2 said as foreshadowing.

You don't have to confirm this because it would be a spoiler, this is just how I think it's going to play out.

Munson

Quote from: rjs246 on April 08, 2013, 09:10:32 AM
Quote from: Munson on April 07, 2013, 10:13:41 PM
Bolton
Karstark 

I've watched every episode of this show and I have no idea who the hell these characters are.

Bolton is a bit easier to remember because he might be the only dudeguyman on the show with short hair. He's the one who's always talking to Robb, the guy that brought in the messages while Robb was with his wife.

Karstark is the older dude with the long white hair that Robb was talking to on the horse.

From what I can gather of the Theon/Winterfell story, last season they had Winterfell surrounded (which we assumed was Roose Bolton's bastich and his men), and then as SD said the last thing we saw was Theon getting knocked out and carried off, and Winterfell was burnt to the ground, presumably by the Ironmen. But now Bolton is saying Theon was already gone when his bastich got there, which has to be a lie because we heard the men outside the walls last season. And the giveaway is that Theon was on the flaying contraption thing getting tortured, which is House Bolton's sigil. So I don't get why Bolton is lying about having Theon, unless he just wanted a chance to torture him.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Who is the Ironmen and what is their beef with the Starks?

Eagaholic

Quote from: SD on April 08, 2013, 01:58:52 PM
Who is the Ironmen and what is their beef with the Starks?

Also, you probably remember from last season the scenes from the Iron Islands where Theon went back to, to try and get his father (Balon) to join his navy with Robb's army. And also where Theon was hitting on his sister before she let him know who she was at Castle Pyke.

Where did that clip come from E_L? From the site you put up that link to? It look like a great resource, haven't had a chance to really check it out.

I also found it hard keeping the characters straight but watching the episodes a second time really brought everything together and filled in a lot of pieces.

Eagles_Legendz

It was with the DVDs.  There are actual a lot of awesome videos like that which HBO released about Robert's Rebellion, the Night's Watch, Wildlings, Taegaryen history etc.  The interesting thing is they often have videos about the same events narrated from different houses - it keeps with the theme the books have which is perspective is important for events and sometimes for good & evil (example: not a spoiler but you would get a different version of what happened when King's Landing fell and Aerys was murdered if talking to say Ned versus Jaime).

I wouldn't recommend just YouTube searching for various videos because you might spoil yourself accidentally so if I get a minute I'll try link a few like that one here since they're well done.  If you watch on YouTube avoid the comments obviously.  People post tons of shtein which hasn't happened yet in there.

Munson

^^^^Those are pretty awesome. I will never understand how people can invent entire worlds and histories like that.

perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Munson

No idea what the hell is going on at this point.

I can't tell if the stuff with Podrick was just supposed to be funny or if they were setting it up that he's been betraying Tyrion or something. Definitely didn't see Tyrion being named master of coin/Littlefinger trying to marry Lysa Tully and get the Vale into the war. No idea who's helping Theon...I think it's supposed to be Roose Bolton's bastich but that would make no sense since we all assume he's the one that captured Theon in the first place. So I doubt he's actually "helping" him. Looks like the fire lady chick is trying to ditch Stannis, unless he sacrifices his daughter or something. And the Brotherhood is taking Arya and the Hound somewhere.

And then the end of the episode, you finally start to like Jaime, and then that happens. Very abruptly. Ouch.

Eagles_Legendz

They are wasting a lot of time on Theon's storyline.  You're supposed to be disoriented by it, but I think what they're doing with it is dumb.

Pod's scene I think was supposed to be just random comedic stuff.

Munson

That's what I thought at first, because I was definitely getting a good laugh out of it, but then I remembered this is Game of Thrones and I just assume the worst haha.

I really am confused with Theon's story line at this point. I can't tell if he's about to get the axe or what.

Also, almost forgot about what was going on North of the wall because of how much other shtein went down that episode. Looks like shtein's about to go down up there.

Munson