Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

I'm halfway through the fourth book (of five published so far.)

Last night, I watched the first two episodes of season one with my wife, who has not read any of the books.

My favorite character is Sandor Clegane, the Hound.

By way of starting off some discussion:  what did Eddard promise Lyanna as she died?

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagles_Legendz

I read the books prior to the series.  I think one of the areas the show suffers by necessity is developing past characters.  Rhaegar is one of the main characters in the books even though he's dead.  Lyanna/Dayne etc are given a lot of time through internal thoughts and you can't get much of that on a TV show - without spoiling anything coming up I'm curious to see how Jaime is handled this season.  He's easily my favorite character in the books and NCW does a very good job playing him, but a lot of Jaime's best stuff happens internally when he becomes a POV character so it'll be interesting to see if they can translate that to the screen.

Kind of disappointed Dominic West turned down the role of Mance.  Would've been funny seeing McNulty out there and I picture someone like him more as Mance than Ciarian Hinds.

To answer the question without spoilers [spoiler](since there aren't any for it really), I think Ned promised to take care of her child with Rhaegar (Jon). [/spoiler]

This thread should probably avoid stuff which happens after book2.

Munson

Uhh...that answer kind of spoiled something for me haha. Though I already had my suspicions [spoiler]that he was someone elses kid...the black hair made me think he was Robert's kid that Ned took. My girl who has read all 5 books said something similar to what you just said. The dragon has 3 heads, etc [/spoiler]

I'm refusing to read ahead of the TV series so that I can be as surprised as possible while watching. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure one or two major things have been spoiled for me by some drunk jackasses that realized I was dressed as Robb Stark for Halloween this year. Yeah, adults dressing up on halloween blah blah blah gay. I had fun with it.

In the preview, you can see The Hound fighting someone with a flaming sword...I can't imagine he's too comfortable with that. I started to like him last season when it was apparent he pretty much hated the Lannisters. I'll definitely dig his story line now that he's on his own.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagles_Legendz

[spoiler]It isn't confirmed in the books at all so no spoiler.  He could be Ned's kid.  It's just a theory that makes sense considering what is known about Ned's honor & Rhaegar and Lyanna and Lyanna being guarded by 3 kingsguard.  I'll black it out but I didn't spoil anything so you're good on that front.[/spoiler]

Munson

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on February 24, 2013, 11:58:57 AM
[spoiler]It isn't confirmed in the books at all so no spoiler.  He could be Ned's kid.  It's just a theory that makes sense considering what is known about Ned's honor & Rhaegar and Lyanna and Lyanna being guarded by 3 kingsguard.  I'll black it out but I didn't spoil anything so you're good on that front.[/spoiler]

haha thank you. The theory definitely makes sense. I also like my theory because of the dark hair and the "seed is strong" stuff, but yours makes more sense to the overall story. I just don't know how they'd confirm it at this point since everyone who knew about it is dead at this point (After 2 books). I'm sure someone else will pop up.

Edit-I guess it's not true that everyone's dead, since one of Ned's companions survived the fight at the tower, but I forget who that was. I'm assuming he'll show up later in the series
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagles_Legendz

Howland Reed.
[spoiler]She was also found in a pool of blood and it never said how she died.[/spoiler]

Munson

As in Jojen and Meera's father? Hmm..interesting.

I'm excited to see their addition this season, though I don't know how they're going to do it. They missed a lottt of development on those two from Clash of Kings. And they live south of Winterfell, and Bran is supposed to be heading north to The Wall, yet someone they're going to meet up. Guess that gives us a hint of where Bran really ends up going.

Diomedes

Worrying about spoilers be damned.  There is way too much to keep track of.  If you don't want anything spoiled, don't read any of my postings.

I'm convinced that Jon Snow is a Stark.  Everyone who sees him remarks upon the likeness to the Stark family.  If he is not Ned's son--and I don't think he is--but Lyanna's instead, then the promise Ned made was what?  To besmirch his own honor by a.) lying that he b.) cheated on Catelyn and to c.) protect the child from Robert?  This makes perfect sense, but it raises some questions.  For one, Jon is burned, whereas Dany is impervious to fire.  Perhaps you have to be full blood to not be affected by fire?  Was Lyanna killed, or did she die in child birth?  Was she raped, or did she love Rhaegar and bed him willingly? 

I've been told there are no answers to these questions through the five published books, so this is just fanboy talk for now.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Munson

Another story I'm looking forward to finding out more about is Barristan Selmy. I imagine he's going to pop up again, and not be very happy with Joffery or the Lannisters.

Nerd question...Since Jaime is a part of the Kingsguard, that means he can't get married or have kids..does that also means he surrenders all other titles, like being heir to Casterly Rock? That would mean Tyrion would get it if Tywin died, no?

Diomedes

Keep reading, all those questions are answered, some of them quite directly.

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: Diomedes on February 24, 2013, 01:38:14 PM
Worrying about spoilers be damned.  There is way too much to keep track of.  If you don't want anything spoiled, don't read any of my postings.

I'm convinced that Jon Snow is a Stark.  Everyone who sees him remarks upon the likeness to the Stark family.  If he is not Ned's son--and I don't think he is--but Lyanna's instead, then the promise Ned made was what?  To besmirch his own honor by a.) lying that he b.) cheated on Catelyn and to c.) protect the child from Robert?  This makes perfect sense, but it raises some questions.  For one, Jon is burned, whereas Dany is impervious to fire.  Perhaps you have to be full blood to not be affected by fire?  Was Lyanna killed, or did she die in child birth?  Was she raped, or did she love Rhaegar and bed him willingly? 

I've been told there are no answers to these questions through the five published books, so this is just fanboy talk for now.

Not all Targaryens are impervious to fire.  It would surprise me based on what we know of Rhaegar if he kidnapped or raped her.  Seemed like she went willingly and likely died in childbirth and Ned was protecting the child from Robert.  I don't see 3 kingsguard guarding Lyanna alone, but Rhaegar's kid I buy.

Diomedes

If Lyanna ran off with Rhaegar willingly, why the war? 

How was Rhaegar's marriage to the Dornish woman--I forgot her name--arranged again?  He had snubbed Tywin's offer of Cersei, and agreed to take whatshername why?  And wasn't she at the tournament at Harrenhal when Rhaegar gave Lyanna the blue rose? 

Diomedes

Also...Dany and Jon Snow are gonna hump.  I just know it.  He's Ice, she's Fire. 

Munson

Quote from: Diomedes on February 24, 2013, 03:34:25 PM
If Lyanna ran off with Rhaegar willingly, why the war? 

How was Rhaegar's marriage to the Dornish woman--I forgot her name--arranged again?  He had snubbed Tywin's offer of Cersei, and agreed to take whatshername why?  And wasn't she at the tournament at Harrenhal when Rhaegar gave Lyanna the blue rose?

I would assume that Robert and the Starks didn't know she went willingly, until Ned found her and she admitted to doing so, if that was indeed the case.

Wasn't the marriage arranged to finally bring the Dorneish into the kingdom, since they technically never bent the knee and actually succeeded in fighting off the Targaryens? I know that's how the were eventually made part of the kingdom, I just don't remember if that was Rhaegar's or anothers

Diomedes