The "what the farg is wrong with this world" thread

Started by PhillyGirl, March 07, 2010, 12:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Meh...wouldn't have stopped them.  They faced a lot of people with guns shooting at them pretty well for a long while.  Some ragtag home defenders weren't going to pose a threat to the Nazi organization.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

I believe in the right to own a gun. I don't want that taken away.

However - the gun laws need to be tightened up and enforced more harshly than they are now.

Get caught carrying a stolen weapon - severe jail sentence
Get caught making a straw purchase - severe jail sentence
Get caught carrying as a convicted felon - back to jail for a long time
Minor gets caught with a weapon - juvenile hall and a hefty fine for the parents

I do not believe that assault rifles and armor piercing bullets need to be allowed thought.

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

Quote from: Diomedes on January 21, 2012, 10:23:11 PM
Meh...wouldn't have stopped them.  They faced a lot of people with guns shooting at them pretty well for a long while.  Some ragtag home defenders weren't going to pose a threat to the Nazi organization.

That's crap.  Put a gun in someone's hand and show them how to defend themselves and would-be tyrants give pause.  That's why the first thing tyrants go after is the armament of its sheep/citizenry.

Diomedes

Yeah...Jacob with his shotgun is going to stand up to the SS.  Put a gun in every Jewish house and you'd still have had the holocaust. 

An armed citizenry is no match for a trained, equipped army.  You can horde guns in your house and think you'll have a chance when the Seal team shows up at your picket fence if Red Dawn fantasies are your thing, but the fact of the matter is that our guns are not what's keeping the government from becoming a fascist state. 

Every time I suggest that people serve much greater times in jail for gun crimes, you jack the discussion with this "pry it from my cold dead hands" shtein.   You know damn well I'm not advocating for the government to take all our guns away, but that doesn't somehow stop you from putting on the "I'm a liberal with a gun and you can't take it away" act.  It's tiresome.

Possess a gun illegally: 7 years
Carry a gun illegally: 10 years
Menace/threaten someone with a gun:  15 years no parole.
Shoot a gun at someone and miss:  25 years no parole.
Shoot someone with a gun but they live: 35 years no parole
Maim someone with a gun:  50 years
Kill someone with a gun: 75 years minimum
Sell a gun illegally:  25 years
Be Rome in f'n Florida: 200 years and your guns get taken away.

I'll be starting a Super PAC soon, I look forward to your donations.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: SD on January 21, 2012, 07:28:48 PM
Quote from: MDS on January 21, 2012, 07:25:49 PM
or we could just get rid of guns because they do no good

I think guns should be banned and wars and protection should be done with swords.

I like where you're heading with this. I need to take some classing to improve my skills with bladed weaponry.

Rome

Ham-fisted sarcasm aside I actually agree with a lot of what Dio posted mostly because humans are more sheep than wolf.

I still think that a well-armed citizenry gives a somewhat rational government pause, but with the Nazis you were dealing with abject irrationality.  Plus an overwhelming number of ordinary citizens were all too happy to stuff Jews into ovens because that was the mindset of those people at the time. 

But honestly, are the Germans of the 1930's all that different than the holy-roller tea bagging freaks of today's America?

One thing I don't agree with is the draconian sentencing guidelines you're suggesting, Dio.  25 years for "illegally" selling a gun?  Really?  That's idiotic.  Sorry.

Diomedes

I'm fine with sending backroom gun dealers to prison for serving as the quartermasters of the criminal armory.  You don't think we should put guys in jail who sell stolen guns to felons?  25 years is too long for that?  How about 15, no parole?  Even such a lenient sentence as that would be an improvement over what these scumbags face today.

Rome

I have no problem imposing tough prison sentences on people who break the law, especially if a law is reasonable.  All I'm saying is if you allow lawmakers the opportunity to strip us of our civil liberties they will invariably and happily do so.  It's an historical certainty.

The scenario that concerns me is what if I sell a gun privately that I purchased thru the system and the idiot who purchases it goes and robs a bank with it.  Am I supposed to go to jail for 50 years because someone else took what I sold them and used it in a criminal enterprise?  Is a legitimate gun merchant supposed to go to prison because he sells a gun to someone with a fake ID (or even worse, someone with no criminal record and purchases it above board) who goes on to kill the President?

If someone breaks a legitimate law by using a gun (robbery, attempted murder, stalking, etc.) then yeah, put his ass in the hole forever.  But there's concerns I have regarding the peripheral issues surrounding guns that preclude me from agreeing to your suggested solutions, dude.  That's all.

Diomedes

Quote from: Rome on January 22, 2012, 09:26:07 AMThe scenario that concerns me is what if I sell a gun privately that I purchased thru the system and the idiot who purchases it goes and robs a bank with it.  Am I supposed to go to jail for 50 years because someone else took what I sold them and used it in a criminal enterprise?

I would never ever support the idea that a person who made a legal sale of a firearm could be held accountable for a crime committed with that weapon.  I think you know that.  I don't know who on earth would support such a claim.

Quote from: Rome on January 22, 2012, 09:26:07 AMIs a legitimate gun merchant supposed to go to prison because he sells a gun to someone with a fake ID (or even worse, someone with no criminal record and purchases it above board) who goes on to kill the President?

No, of course not.  The person buying the gun with fraudulent documentation would obviously be the criminal in this situation, and I would support jailing him on that alone for, oh, I don't know, let's say ten years.  farg him...buy it legally or get off our playground.

I can appreciate your distrust of the unintended consequences of employing draconian sentences for gun crimes, but I'm having a hard time imagining scenarios in which it would be difficult to identify who the criminal is and who should be in jail.

PhillyPhreak54

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

PhillyPhreak54

The more I hear about this Trayvon Martin case the angrier I get.

The local yokel PD along with that icehole Zimmerman who shot the kid should all be prosecuted to the fullest extent. And any attorney who defends this farging icehole should be shamed into retirement.

Has anyone listened to the 911 calls?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL72w4xiTVU&feature=youtu.be

he says "farging coons" at 2:21

http://axiomamnesia.com/2012/03/16/trayvon-martin-911-calls-audio/

Sgt PSN

Yeah, this should pretty much be the easiest manslaughter/murder case ever tried and Florida comes through yet again to make a total mockery of our judicial system.