Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

I've had my iPod for about 8 months now and was recently prompted by iTunes to upgrade to their newer version......which I did.  But then iTunes wouldn't open.  So I uninstalled iTunes, went to Apple's website and downloaded iTunes again.  Then when I tried to install it, it said that it couldn't remove the older version of Quicktime installed on my computer.  So I attempted to uninstall Quicktime but was greeted with an error message and the uninstall was terminated. 

So here I sit with a $400 iPod with no iTunes and Apple tech support wants to charge me money to tell me how to fix my problem since my iPod is over 90 days old. 

Any suggestions?

BigEd76

Geowhizzer

Buy a new one.  And send the old one to me.

Father Demon

Did you delete your cookies, history, and cache?

Them Indians think that is always the answer, so it must be good.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: BigEd76 on November 03, 2006, 09:05:11 PM
What was the Quicktime message?

"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

This would lead one to think that Quicktime is not installed on my computer, but all the icons are still there.  I went to Add/Remove programs to remove it but nothing happens.  Then I went to my start menu/programs/Quicktime/uninstall and that's when I get that message. 

BigEd76

When in doubt, check Google...

click me

if that doesn't provide anything, add the word "QuickTime" to the search, like this

Phanatic

Maybe find another version of Quicktime and reinstall it. What's the worst that can happen...  :paranoid
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

mussa

apple has the worst service plan. its 90 days for computers too. the thing is though i havn't had one problem since OSX came out a few years ago. trash your PC and buy a mac marine :win
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

NGM

Something else to keep in mind, the new version of iTunes deletes any music it thinks is "pirated" and will remove those songs from your iPod whether you have it set to manual or not.
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

Wingspan

Quote from: NGM on November 05, 2006, 05:34:13 PM
Something else to keep in mind, the new version of iTunes deletes any music it thinks is "pirated" and will remove those songs from your iPod whether you have it set to manual or not.

no it doesnt.

about 1/4 of my music is not legal and that hasnt happened at all.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Susquehanna Birder

Sgt PSN

Quote from: mussa on November 05, 2006, 04:23:09 PM
apple has the worst service plan. its 90 days for computers too. the thing is though i havn't had one problem since OSX came out a few years ago. trash your PC and buy a mac marine :win

Yeah, I'm extremely disappointed with that.  If there's something wrong with the iPod itself, fine.  But it's their software that they prompted me to download that's farging up. 

If I hadn't just bought a new PC back in Feb, I probably would by a Mac.  :-\

Susquehanna Birder

FWIW, I just downloaded the latest and installed it (after doing a system restore checkpoint). No problems.

Yeti

Move to the woods.  Abandon all technology. 
"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

NGM

Quote from: Wingspan on November 05, 2006, 06:10:57 PM
Quote from: NGM on November 05, 2006, 05:34:13 PM

no it doesnt.

about 1/4 of my music is not legal and that hasnt happened at all.

Huh, a good buddy of mine had it happen to him.  Maybe it was something else entirely but he knows much more about this shtein than I do.
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.