Fletcher Cox, Philadelphia Eagle

Started by Diomedes, April 26, 2012, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Quote from: Rome on January 30, 2016, 09:20:26 AM
The cap increases by $10M this year and next year.  Cox has absolutely no incentive to take a hometown discount either.  He's finally made the Pro Bowl (not that that makes a difference because it's a joke but it's still a wedge the agents use for comparison).  He's usually on the "best of" DT lists every year.  It's a perfect storm for him right now. 

If his agent doesn't bend the Eagles over and drill them in the ass, then shame on him.

And by the way... he considers himself a defensive end.  So there's that.

I already said how I feel.  I'm happy he got paid an obscene amount of dough for playing a kid's game that has the likely potential of making him a drooling cripple before he turns 50.

ice grillin you

correct me if im wrong but if dallas paid someone this much money I feel like youd call it the worst signing in pro sports history
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

What makes you say that?  Cox is a franchise player.  They drafted him and the money is in line, or at least, it will be when the cap expands and other guys start signing mega-deals. 

I'll criticize the hell out of deals they make for players who don't deserve the money but Cox is by far the best player on the team, so there's nothing to criticize here.

Sorry, big fella...

ice grillin you

so fletch is worthy of being the highest paid non qb in the history of football?

Rome

I really don't think he is.  J.J. Watt comes to mind.  Gronk, Sherman, Kuechley are all better at different positions, but it's really irrelevant.  He got the deal and the Eagles see him as the cornerstone of the franchise.  I'm just glad it worked out for all concerned.

PhillyPhreak54

Igy looking for an argument today eh?

Diomedes

He gets like that once in a while.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

I don't know why it's me considering I predicted the deal pretty closely and actually under-estimated it.   Meh...

ice grillin you

I was way closer to predicting it than you....it was a given he was getting more than suh who got 60

to think he would get five less than that is pretty silly

General_Failure

IGY's got picks. He's got the best picks. They're huge. Extravagant. Luxurious. Look at this lightweight Rome, what a chump.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

PhillyPhreak54

Andrew Brandt

"While Eagles-Cox deal appears strong - $36.3M in first 2 yrs - that is only true guarantee. As most NFL deals, it's 2 years then "we'll see"

ice grillin you

no its 63 million guaranteed

and because of his age and the cap hit the eagles would get by cutting him hes going to make a lot more than that...even in year 3 its a 20 mil cap hit for cutting him and year four is still 12 mil....so hes almost assured of being in philly thru 2019 and even then he will only be 28

ice grillin you

also eagles had the most money in the nfl committed to players BEFORE this deal...they now easily have the least 2017 monetary flexibility in the league

which isn't to say this was a terrible deal....its just how it is for them right now

Rome

Well, considering I hit the number dead on in terms of $17M per year and then said 60-70 million guaranteed might be low-balling it, I'd say I was pretty close.