07-08 Philadelphia Flyers Off-Season Thread

Started by rjs246, May 19, 2008, 08:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Great season. Disappointing end and I hate to lose to the goddamned Penguins, but all things considered I'l farging thrilled with this season.

There are plenty of people around here with more insight into hockey than I possess. What do the Flyers need to do this offseason to do this offseason to improve. Gagne coming back would be an obvious lift. Free agents. Draft. What?
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

i wouldnt mind gagne retiring...its a complete waste for him to come back for ten games then get hurt again...when you get that many concussions in one year its virtually impossible to come back long term...id rather have his money and spot available for a healthy free agent or trade possibility
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

Rumor is, and ill say this is a rumor from someone who usually has good info from team sources that Gagne was not showing or experiencing any more concussion symptoms a week after he stopped playing.  The Flyers decided to shut him down for the year to avoid any chances. 

As far as next year, the Flyers are in better postion to get back than the Pens.  The pens have 14 freeagents, only 9 signed thru next year. 

The Flyers need to resign Carter, sign Umberger even if they sign low, someone will match, and they will get compensated with draft picks based on how much he's offered. 

Prospal is gone, he said in the montreal series that he wants to play in the south so he can golf year round(Vinny the Vadge). 

Smith is gone, he's a warrior but was absolutely horrible this year.  He'll probably have shoulder surgery in the next 2 weeks, and that severely limited his play over the final 2 months, but overall he was not good. 

Hatcher could be back, he's got one more year and has said he wants to come back to finish out his contract.  At the same time, his knees are shot, and he played like every game was his last.  If he retires they are in a good position, if he stays, its still not a bad place to be so he can mentor Parent. 

Randy Jones, i like jones as a 3rd pairing guy with Kukkonen, i dont think he'll get any huge offers and will probably resign here. 

Gagne, i want gagne back, he's your 2nd best defensive forward next to the gawd, and if he's healthy a 40-50 goal scorer.  I wanted him traded, but honestly, he's not worth much with having applesauce for brains, and hisi contract isnt huge. 

What they need

Another Dman, Parent came up and played well for the most part.  He's still very young, but can skate very well, and has a great outlet pass. 

I'd like for them to look at John Michael Lies from the Avs, he might cost too much, but he'd be a great 2nd pairing with Parent. 

Goalie for the Future.  Biron is going into his last year, and the Flyers have no young goalies in the system. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 19, 2008, 08:30:41 AM
Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on May 19, 2008, 08:24:03 AM
An entire new group of league referees that dont all hate the Flyers.
Aint gonna happen.  This team played through the most bullshtein calls i've ever seen in a season. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 19, 2008, 08:41:28 AM
yeah i dont know how they won any games
being a damn good young team, but seriously, they dont have any superstars so they suck

ice grillin you

i think it would level the playing field if the flyers were given three pts for each win...yes theyd still have to battle the conspiracy but at least theyd get an extra point since their wins come that much harder than the rest of the league

not gonna happen but it would work

rjs246

Fascinating.

After watching the playoffs, the lack of superstars is a very serious concern for me. It's great for them to have a deep team full of of 20+ goal scorers, but I don't see a single player who they can count on to take over a game or to realistically expect 95+ points out of. Wave after wave of above average talent can wear down certain teams, but they need someone truly elite to raise their expectations beyond the conference finals level.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 19, 2008, 08:46:17 AM
i think it would level the playing field if the flyers were given three pts for each win...yes theyd still have to battle the conspiracy but at least theyd get an extra point since their wins come that much harder than the rest of the league

not gonna happen but it would work
seriously, go farg yourself

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: rjs246 on May 19, 2008, 08:50:26 AM
Fascinating.

After watching the playoffs, the lack of superstars is a very serious concern for me. It's great for them to have a deep team full of of 20+ goal scorers, but I don't see a single player who they can count on to take over a game or to realistically expect 95+ points out of. Wave after wave of above average talent can wear down certain teams, but they need someone truly elite to raise their expectations beyond the conference finals level.
it does suck, tough to draft superstars when you dont tank seasons, and when you do finish last, you still get farged and dont get the 1st overall, and get stuck with JVR

Rome

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 19, 2008, 08:10:50 AM
i wouldnt mind gagne retiring...its a complete waste for him to come back for ten games then get hurt again...when you get that many concussions in one year its virtually impossible to come back long term...id rather have his money and spot available for a healthy free agent or trade possibility

I completely agree with this.  As much as I like Gagne guys with concussion histories are never the same once they have a certain number of them occur.

If he's healthy and completely symptom  free, then sure, I'd love to see him back, but it just never seems to work out that way with those guys.

ice grillin you

i think he will be "healthy" and def will be symptom free...but i also think the second hes comes back his clock starts ticking down to his next concussion...it could happen in the first preseason game or it could happen 40 games into the season but it will happen

PoopyfaceMcGee

It's amazing to me how well they competed with a very shaky defense, a streaky and averagish goalie, and an intermittent offense that lacks continuity.

Significant help at any area would greatly improve the team.

Sgt PSN

My favorite part of the hockey season is the offseason.  All I can say is, it's about damn time.