The Rest of the NHL

Started by BigEd76, August 01, 2005, 02:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

Sean Avery was suspended indefinitely for referring to Elisha Cuthbert as sloppy seconds

ice grillin you

melrose FTW....

Q&A with Barry Melrose

To help put closure on my Tampa Bay conundrum, I phoned former Lightning coach and future ESPN analyst Barry Melrose, who is still in Florida and will remain there for the winter. Barry begins his ESPN duties on Jan. 1. He will be with me on the "SportsCenter" set as we break down the Red Wings-Blackhawks outdoor game from Wrigley Field.

Question from Bucci: Since you were fired by the Lightning, I have been rooting for them to lose every game. I have admitted this and am now looking to move on, wishing nothing but good things for the organization, especially Oren Koules. Have you been rooting for the Lightning to lose?

Answer from Melrose: Yes. I hope they never win another game. I think when people say that they don't care, they are lying to you. One of the reasons ESPN wanted me back on the air is to tell the truth, and yeah, I hope they never win another game.

Q: Once you become an analyst again, will you be able to put that aside?

A: Oh, yes. Time heals everything. Like in Los Angeles, where I was also fired, they have Luc Robitaille working there, so I certainly want him to do well there. Time will heal that in Tampa Bay, too. I'm glad Oren Koules gave me the chance and just wish we could have seen it through for longer.

Q: Take us through your emotional roller coaster. Did you cry at any point after you were fired?

A: I don't cry, so that's out of the question. I've been in hockey a long time. I saw people talking who shouldn't be talking and people together who shouldn't be together, and the battles I was having about playing time and playing people. I sensed it coming, but not after 16 games, and we [were] four points out of first place. I did everything I told them I was going to do. If you look at them now, they are doing everything I told them to do. They brought up young guys that play hard, and the old guys who can't play are out of the lineup. They still aren't tough enough. I've been vindicated in everything I said I was going to do. I was angry. My son says I'm an angry man most of the time in my life. But now, I'm looking at getting back to ESPN and talking about all 30 teams.

Q: So, what do the Lightning need to do if you were given total control?

A: Youth, size, skating ability and toughness. I always told them I wanted two lines that could score and two lines that would be hard to play against. You have to be able to skate in today's game, and they need good guys in that dressing room. It wasn't my type of team when I was there. I like physical teams and I just didn't have that. There was no hitting. We were the easiest team to play against and I just can't stand that. I like fighting and the energy it brings to a team.

Q: What about coming back to ESPN?

A: I was sad leaving ESPN and still have a headache from the going-away party they threw for me. And the NHL lost a lot of memorabilia sales from ESPN people buying Lightning gear. That's how ESPN is. They are passionate and loyal. I can't wait to come back. I love sitting in the studio and watching hockey and then coming upstairs and telling Scott Van Pelt and Neil Everett how to pronounce the players' names.

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

BigEd76

Already out until mid-January with a back injury, Joe Sakic broke 3 fingers in a snowblower accident and is out until March

ice grillin you

imma go easy on you bitches....

tonight is the first saturday in 13 years the maple leafs havent played

ice grillin you

forsberg wants to come back again for the playoffs...this guy needs to go away

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PoopyfaceMcGee

BigEd76

More proof that fans voting for all-star games should be shot:

EAST = Crosby, Malkin (PIT), Kovalev, Markov, Komisarek, Price (MON)
WEST = Kane, Toews, Campbell (CHI), Getzlaf, S.Niedermayer, Giguere (ANA)

12 starters.....4 teams (none of which are in 1st place)

Rome

People actually watch the NHL All Star Game?

Christ.  I'm a hockey fan and even I refuse to watch that charade.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: BigEd76 on January 03, 2009, 04:05:16 PM
More proof that fans voting for all-star games should be shot:

EAST = Crosby, Malkin (PIT), Kovalev, Markov, Komisarek, Price (MON)
WEST = Kane, Toews, Campbell (CHI), Getzlaf, S.Niedermayer, Giguere (ANA)

12 starters.....4 teams (none of which are in 1st place)
my buddies brother does work for the NHL in advertising, he was on a conference call when the head guy from the NHL PR office said that some Frog had hacked into the voting and voted for Habs players to the point they were the top 8 spots
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

pens got embarrassed today by florida....hard to believe they would miss the playoffs if the season ended today

Seabiscuit36

ice grillin you

can you imagine being known as the guy who got beat up by sydney crosby

Geowhizzer

That looked like a middle school girl fight.

SD_Eagle5

Probably the funniest fight in NHL history:
Semin fight (hilarious)