The Rest of the NHL

Started by BigEd76, August 01, 2005, 02:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The BIGSTUD

It looks like the two most undeserving teams are inching closer to championships.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Bunkley78 on June 12, 2006, 10:59:09 PM
It looks like the two most undeserving teams are inching closer to championships.

How is Carolina not "deserving?"  They were the #2 seed in the Eastern Conference (just 1 point behind #1) and have now won 15 of the 16 necessary to claim Lord Stanley's Cup.  Who would have been "deserving" to you?

The BIGSTUD

A team that actually has a fan base. Like the Oilers.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Bunkley78 on June 12, 2006, 11:12:59 PM
A team that actually has a fan base. Like the Oilers.

Hmmm... and all this time I thought that the players were the ones going for the championship.

The BIGSTUD

Seemingly, but the big picture applies here.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Bunkley78 on June 12, 2006, 11:22:50 PM
Seemingly, but the big picture applies here.

Bull.  If it was about the "big picture," the Cup would be Montreal vs. Detroit every year, since they've been 1-2 in attendance every year since 2000-2001 at least (except this year, when Tampa snuck in at 2 and Detroit at 3).

You can whine about the fans being undeserving all you want, but the better team is about to win the Cup.  And to say the team is "undeserving," because of lack of a fanbase (which has ranged from 19th to 29th in the league, and was 21st this year), is a crock.

The BIGSTUD

I'll be honest. I'm a hater, that's why I don't find them deserving. I don't like the Canes, and to me they don't deserve shtein.

The Oilers are far more deserving IMO.

BigEd76

Edmonton has won 5 times in their previous 6 finals.  Someone else can win for once...

BTW, the "undeserving" Southeast division has had every team except for Atlanta (who somehow hasn't made the playoffs yet) in the Finals in the last 10 seasons....

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Bunkley78 on June 12, 2006, 11:34:13 PM
I'll be honest. I'm a hater, that's why I don't find them deserving. I don't like the Canes, and to me they don't deserve shtein.

The Oilers are far more deserving IMO.

They deserve it so much they've lost 3 of 4 games.

The BIGSTUD

Aren't you sick of players not winning here and going to win other places? I am.

I never root for ex-Philly players. If they can't win here then I don't want them to go somewhere else and win. It just reinforces the theory that the town is cursed. If ex-Philly athletes start losing when they leave maybe they'll start winning when they actually play here instead of when they leave. We've got to reverse the curse.

BigEd76

So you're rooting for Craig MacTavish?

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Bunkley78 on June 12, 2006, 11:41:24 PM
Aren't you sick of players not winning here and going to win other places? I am.

I never root for ex-Philly players. If they can't win here then I don't want them to go somewhere else and win. It just reinforces the theory that the town is cursed. If ex-Philly athletes start losing when they leave maybe they'll start winning when they actually play here instead of when they leave. We've got to reverse the curse.

Here are the NHL teams I would hate to see carry the Cup:

Rangers
Devils
Islanders
Capitals (to a lesser extent)

That's about it- the Flyers' main rivals. Other than that, I won't lose a blink of sleep over who wins.

And yes, I would like to see Brind'Amour win the Cup.  He's still one of my favorite players, even though he's no longer a Flyer.

Father Demon

The NHL ain't the NFL.  Every team is made up of ex-otherteam players.  The same exact arguement is occuring over at a Blues board I frequent.  And a few of the names you mention are the same ones mentioned over there. 

I've almost gotten to the point where I don't root for a team, but for individual players I like.  But then again, it was a tough year to be a Blues fan.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Geowhizzer on June 13, 2006, 09:41:24 AM

Rangers
Devils
Islanders

That's about it- the Flyers' main rivals. Other than that, I won't lose a blink of sleep over who wins.

And yes, I would like to see Brind'Amour win the Cup.  He's still one of my favorite players, even though he's no longer a Flyer.

you forgot Pittsburg and Cindy Crosby
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

The BIGSTUD

Quote from: Geowhizzer on June 13, 2006, 09:41:24 AM

Rangers
Devils
Islanders

I'm tired of being jealous all the time, so I decided a year or so ago that I'll never root for ex-Philly players. I can't, I'm too jealous that they get to win with their teams and not ours.