The Rest of the NHL

Started by BigEd76, August 01, 2005, 02:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Report: Gretzky knew about gambling ring
Police say ex-star talked about operation on wiretaps, wife bet $500,000

NBCSports.com news services
Updated: 1:00 p.m. ET Feb. 9, 2006

"The Great One" suddenly isn't looking so great.

According to the Newark Star-Ledger on Thursday, Wayne Gretzky was caught by state wiretaps talking about the multimillion-dollar gambling ring allegedly helped run by his friend and Phoenix Coyotes assistant Rick Tocchet.

Gretzky, the NHL's all-time scoring leader and the Coyotes' coach, denied any knowledge of the ring on Tuesday.

But law enforcement sources told the Star-Ledger that the Hall of Famer spoke about the ring, and that investigators are looking into whether he placed any wagers through his wife, actress Janet Jones.

According to the newspaper, Jones waged $500,000 on sporting events during the past six weeks, including $75,000 on last week's Super Bowl.  Authorities are considering whether to issue a subpoena ordering Gretzky to testify before a state grand jury, sources told the paper.

The New Jersey State Police's organized crime bureau began an investigation in October called "Operation Slap Shot," which uncovered information that Trooper James J. Harney, an eight-year veteran, was a partner in a bookmaking ring that in a 40-day period processed more than 1,000 wagers exceeding $1.7 million on professional and collegiate sporting events.

Tocchet was identified as Harney's alleged partner and financier, and was charged with promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy.  On Wednesday, he requested and received a leave of absence from his coaching duties with the Coyotes after meeting with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

"The reality is, I'm not involved, I wasn't involved and I'm not going to be involved," Gretzky said Tuesday night.  "Am I concerned for both of them (Tocchet and Jones)?  Sure there's concern for me.  I'm more worried about them than me."

The former All-Star player who became Gretzky's top assistant on the Coyotes' coaching staff was given an indefinite leave of absence Wednesday night by commissioner Gary Bettman. Tocchet's departure came a day after he was accused of financing a nationwide gambling operation that took bets from about a half-dozen current players.

Tocchet met with Bettman and requested the leave, the NHL said. Terms of the leave include Tocchet being prohibited from communicating with NHL and team personnel for the length of his departure. Also, he'll need Bettman's consent before he can return, and the commissioner can change the terms of the leave at any time.

"We view the charges against Mr. Tocchet in the most serious terms," Bettman said in a statement. "We have pledged our full cooperation to the New Jersey State Police and the New Jersey Attorney General's Office.

"While we are conducting our own investigation, we have made clear to the law enforcement authorities in New Jersey that we will do nothing to interfere with their ongoing investigation."

The NHL hired former federal prosecutor Robert J. Cleary, who headed the Unabomber case, to investigate Tocchet.

Tocchet came to the meeting with his new attorney, Kevin Marino, who called the pending charges against his client "false and irresponsible."

In an interview with The Associated Press on Thursday, Marino criticized State Police for speaking so extensively to the media.

"I have never been involved in a case where the prosecution has engaged in such inappropriate conduct in terms of making investigators available to the press, appearing on nationally syndicated television," Marino said. "It's improper, it's unwarranted and I will not tolerate it."

"We are not going to try this case in the press and we're not going to let them either," he said.

At his Wednesday meeting with the NHL, Tocchet wasn't prepared to respond to specific questions about the allegations, the NHL said.

New Jersey authorities told the NHL on Wednesday that nothing has come to their attention that indicates the gambling activities relate in any way to league games. None of the players were identified in the complaint.

"While there is speculation as to which other NHL personnel may have been involved in this matter, we continue to await guidance in that regard from the New Jersey law enforcement authorities," Bettman said.

State police Col. Rick Fuentes said an investigation into the New Jersey-based ring discovered the processing of more than 1,000 wagers, exceeding $1.7 million, on professional and college sports, mostly football and basketball.

Pittsburgh's Mark Recchi, a former teammate of Tocchet's, forced a Philadelphia TV station to retract a story on its Web site that said he was connected to the ring. He and John LeClair, another Penguins player and past member of the Flyers, hired a lawyer to potentially sue the station and other media outlets.

"Mark Recchi and John LeClair categorically deny any wrongdoing and are outraged that their names have been associated with the Operation Slap Shot investigation," attorney Bob Del Greco said. "While each has maintained a personal and business relationship with their friend and former teammate Rick Tocchet, neither have any involvement whatsoever in any gambling operation."

Recchi and LeClair said they haven't been contacted by authorities and don't expect to be.

The NHL Players' Association posted a message on a secure Web site Wednesday advising any players who are contacted by law enforcement authorities — or even the league itself — to contact their lawyer "before talking to anyone," the Toronto Star reported.

New Jersey State Police Lt. Gerald Lewis said police investigators will interview other hockey players to get a sense of the scope of the gambling ring and to determine whether others should be charged.

Lewis would not say which players might be interviewed.

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

It sounds like Gretsky is fully prepared to throw his wife under the bus to save his good name.

SunMo

i'd be like, "Hey, you're sweet and all, but I'm farging Wayne Gretsky bitch"
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PoopyfaceMcGee

She's hot, but he's about due for a trade-in to a younger model anyway.  This could work out for him really well.

ice grillin you

she was hot in 88

in fact she was the ultimate 80's chick...she coulda been in valley girl...better off dead...top secret or one of many 80's movies and been perfect

however she has aged horribly
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

wayne could probably farg any canadian girl he wants, and probably has. ditch the used to be hot wife and bang some eskimos.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Thems inuit chicks like to get down.

QB Eagles

Quote from: MDS on February 07, 2006, 06:12:45 PM
That would actually rule. Canadians would suffer, I like it.

It's the top CBC story tonight.

QuoteContacted by a Canadian Press Olympic reporter calling from Turin, Italy, on Thursday, Roenick had no comment other than: "Bring me home some cannoli."

Green wouldn't talk about whether he has been interviewed by investigators, telling the Boston Globe that Tocchet "is a friend of mine, but I have no comment about it. I have no comment on that situation."

Ex-Flyers John LeClair and Mark Recchi, who were initially linked to the controversy (Recchi was named in a report on a Philadelphia news website), have strongly denied involvement and demanded a retraction and apology. The hockey stars also threatened to sue if their names were not cleared by those who published the report.

"Mark Recchi and John LeClair categorically deny any wrongdoing and are outraged that their names have been associated with the Operation Slap Shot investigation," attorney Bob Del Greco said. "While each has maintained a personal and business relationship with their friend and former teammate Rick Tocchet, neither have any involvement whatsoever in any gambling operation."

The Philadelphia site, run by ABC TV affiliate WPVI, pulled the Recchi story and issued an apology.

Recchi and LeClair said they haven't been contacted by authorities and don't expect to be.

SunMo

it's already started, ha!

QuoteGoaltender Dominik Hasek suffered a leg injury in the game between the Czech Republic and Germany Wednesday at the Olympics.

Hasek, one of the NHL's top goaltenders for years, grimaced in pain as he spread his legs to stop a shot during a German power play about six minutes into the game. He didn't face another shot for the next few minutes, but left the ice when play stopped 9:25 into the period.

After consulting briefly on the bench with the Czech coaches, Hasek was taken to a locker-room to be examined by physicians. He returned to the bench area late in the period, a towel draped around his neck.

Hasek, the hero of the 1998 Olympics, has been troubled by groin injuries in recent years but has played 43 games this season.

He was replaced by Nashville Predators goaltender Tomas Vokoun, who surrendered the first goal of the game to Tino Boos late in the first period.

It has not been a memorable start to the Winter Games for Hasek. The Ottawa Senators netminder arrived in Italy Monday to find that his equipment had been lost by the airline en route to the Games. He was forced to borrow some equipment from former Buffalo Sabres goaltender coach Jim Corsi, who is working with the Italian national team.

Father Demon

St. Louis Blues FINALLY Sold

Bill And Nancy Lurie To Sell Blues, Savvis Center To Dave Checketts, Sports Capital Partners & TowerBrook Capital Partners

ST. LOUIS - Bill and Nancy Lurie, the owners of the St. Louis Blues and Savvis Center since September 1999, today announced they have agreed to sell the hockey club and arena operating lease to Dave Checketts, Sports Capital Partners (SCP) and TowerBrook Capital Partners, L.P. Terms will not be disclosed.

The sale announcement was made jointly by Bill Lurie, Checketts and Mark Sauer, the president and CEO of the Blues and Savvis Center, during a news conference at Savvis Center. The Luries said the transfer of the Blues and Savvis Center lease to Checketts, Sports Capital Partners and TowerBrook Capital Partners, L.P., will be subject to a formal closing expected in approximately two months. The sale will be subject to approval by the National Hockey League Board of Governors. The closing of the sale and Board of Governors approval are both expected.

WOO-HOOO!    :yay
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Phanatic

After 25 straight postseason appearances -- the longest streak in the four major pro team sports -- the Blues officially were eliminated from playoff contention this week and, with 51 points, are tied with Chicago for the second-worst record in the NHL.

Talk about an exercise in futility. 25 year playoff run with no championship. That's gotta be frustrating...
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

SD_Eagle5

So the Lurie's are selling the Blues.

SunMo

Quote from: Phanatic on March 24, 2006, 01:50:30 PM
After 25 straight postseason appearances -- the longest streak in the four major pro team sports -- the Blues officially were eliminated from playoff contention this week and, with 51 points, are tied with Chicago for the second-worst record in the NHL.

Talk about an exercise in futility. 25 year playoff run with no championship. That's gotta be frustrating...

almost as bad as living in a city with 4 major professional teams and not having a championship since 1982

Father Demon

My two favorite sports teams -- Eagles and Blues.

Talk about an exercise in not killing yourself......
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.