2011 Point & Laugh at the skins thread

Started by SD, January 12, 2011, 04:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

NEW YORK -- Washington taterskins owner Daniel Snyder has sued Washington City Paper over a column he says defamed him and had anti-Semitic references.

Snyder filed the lawsuit against the weekly paper and its parent company, Atalaya Capital management LP, in New York State Supreme Court on Wednesday. The suit seeks at least $1 million in damages for each of the two causes of action, plus punitive damages.

The cover story entitled "The Crazy taterskins Fan's Guide to Dan Snyder," has an altered photo of the owner with horns and a beard drawn in pen. The suit claims the weekly newspaper used "lies, half-truths, innuendo and anti-Semitic imagery to smear, malign, defame and slander" Snyder.

The suit also says the newspaper reported Snyder engaged in criminal conduct by "forging names."

Telephone calls to the paper Wednesday night were not immediately returned, but publisher Amy Austin, in a letter to readers posted earlier Wednesday said, "We believe we have the facts right."

In a post on the City Paper's website Wednesday, managing editor Mike Madden asserted the image "is meant to resemble the type of scribbling that teenagers everywhere have been using to deface photos for years," he wrote. "The image of Snyder doesn't look like an 'anti-Semitic caricature' -- it looks like a devil."

Snyder will contribute any monetary damages received to groups that assist the homeless, the lawsuit said."

lololol...the owner of a team called the taterskinS and with this as their emblem

is actually pulling the anti semetic card

and i love the desperate PR grab by saying he will donate any funds won in the suit to the homeless
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

By unkindly focusing only on the negative aspect of your ownership, the author, Dave McKenna, is suggesting that you are an avaricious, imperious, conscienceless plutocrat with callous contempt for the fans; a man whose Napoleonic, pouter-pigeon swagger conceals a doofus-like understanding of the game and whose pernicious, autocratic meddling has consigned the team to perpetual mediocrity and its players and coaches to a perennial state of harrowing anxiety, all of this starting virtually from the moment you arrived and continuing to this very minute.

Gene

Personally I found these "snips" out of todays Washington Post amusing.......

QuoteMemo to Dan Snyder: Thank you for your stewardship of the taterskins

By Gene Weingarten
Thursday, February 3, 2011; 12:00 AM

To: Daniel Snyder, owner, Washington taterskins

I just want you to know you have my full support in this matter, as I support everything you have done during your stewardship of the taterskins. You rock. I wish you good health and long life and hope you run the franchise for many, many years to come. I say this with utmost sincerity as a lifelong fan of the New York Giants.

.......The point I want to make - and I think I can speak not only for myself but for all Giants fans - is that you have been very, very good to us, and we appreciate it. It's not easy being an ardent supporter of a football team. In this sport, the cliche is mostly true: On any given Sunday, any team can defeat any other team. Such is the nature of this game, which is so often influenced by injuries and so often subject to the effects of intangibles like momentum. This keeps the devoted fan in a constant state of stress. You can't take any win for granted.

But thanks to you, twice a season we can. Nothing is certain, of course, but when a taterskins game approaches, we at least know that we will be facing a team in spiritual disarray, whose players have been assembled largely by whim and impulse and ego, coached by a person as insecure as a teenage girl at a prom, with a nose zit.

It helps. It helps a lot.

After another losing season in which your recently acquired $78 million over-the-hill quarterback got benched and your corpulent $100 million defensive lineman simply refused to play, it is heartening to see you focusing your resources on trying to punish a newspaper.

Yes, it may be a dreadfully arrogant and stupid thing to do. But the point is, you seem to want to do it. And believe me, what makes you happy makes me happy.

Sgt PSN

Since Gene is the only Giant fan I know of who can string together complete sentences, I have to assume he wrote that.  Well done, sir.

ice grillin you

lol...gene weingarten is a well known columist...he won this little award you might have heard of called the pulitzer....twice

Sgt PSN

I didn't even notice there was an author's name.....I jumped straight to the bold font.  But now I have to wonder if Gene the :CF member/Giants fan is also Gene Weingarten.

BTW....I had no idea who Gene Weingarten was before now.  I think I've heard of that Pulitzer thing though.  Those are hard to get, right? 

PoopyfaceMcGee

Yes, a two-time Pulitzer winner is hanging out with us here on :CF. That's the ticket.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 03, 2011, 03:34:05 PM
Those are hard to get, right?  

i dont wanna discourage the lil guy this early in his career so ill just say anyone can win it

weingarten discovered dave barry and gave him his start

MDS

i just want to be an interchangeable beat writer for insert random team here

todd aint be no woodstein and bernberg
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: FastFreddie on February 03, 2011, 03:52:59 PM
Yes, a two-time Pulitzer winner is hanging out with us here on :CF. That's the ticket.

I'm a believer in balance and that in it's own way, the universe delivers a lot of the balance in our lives. 

For every Dio, we get a Butcher's Bill
For every GF, we get a Munson
For every IGY, we get a stillupfront

So the only way to explain Todd's presence on this board is that there must also be a writer of the highest caliber on board to help maintain that universal balance. 

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 03, 2011, 04:03:51 PM
Quote from: FastFreddie on February 03, 2011, 03:52:59 PM

I'm a believer in balance and that in it's own way, the universe delivers a lot of the balance in our lives. 

For every Dio, we get a Butcher's Bill
For every GF, we get a Munson
For every IGY, we get a stillupfront

So the only way to explain Todd's presence on this board is that there must also be a writer of the highest caliber on board to help maintain that universal balance. 

Fan Since '64
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

Sgt PSN

Also, there is no opposite to balance out PG.  But that's because you're small enough that you don't tip the scales in any direction. 

PhillyGirl

nice timing in that comment....I just hit a weight this morning that hasn't been seen since I was a senior in HS.

Running rules.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen