2011 Point & Laugh at the skins thread

Started by SD, January 12, 2011, 04:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6014818

QuoteDan Snyder said Tuesday that he's matured as an owner, acknowledged he has made personnel mistakes and said that although he pays the players, ultimately the Washington taterskins are "the fans' team."

Snyder was speaking at a summit for owners of Washington-area sports teams, hosted by The Washington Post.
Snyder, who bought the team at age 34 and is now 46, said he has learned to put his trust in the right people.

lol

Sgt PSN

Damn, I knew Snyder was young but I didn't realize that he was THAT young.  Dude bought one of the more prominant NFL franchises when he was 34.  I'm 34 right now and I can barely buy a car. 

General_Failure

That'll teach you to bang sluts and drink cheap booze instead of sending sluts to spring break for money.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PoopyfaceMcGee

The skins now have 3 defensive players in the Pro Bowl.  Their defense was ranked #31 in the NFL.

ice grillin you

taterskins owner Dan Snyder seeks dismissal of City Paper writer

By Paul Farhi
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 1, 2011; 9:47 PM

There's no question taterskins owner Dan Snyder had a few problems with a cover story about him in Washington's City Paper in November.

At the moment, in fact, Snyder is fighting mad.

Snyder has objected to the article that detailed some of his controversial actions as team owner and other reports about him in the weekly publication, and has threatened legal action against the newspaper. He also is seeking the dismissal of the article's author, staff writer Dave McKenna.

Snyder took his complaints about the Nov. 19 article to Creative Loafing Inc., the Tampa-based company that owns City Paper and five other "alternative" papers around the country, and to CLI's parent, Atalaya Capital Management, a New York-based hedge fund. Atalaya bought CLI for $5 million in a bankruptcy proceeding in August 2009.

In a letter sent to City Paper's owners after the article's publication, taterskins chief operating officer David Donovan alleged that Snyder had been defamed by the publication and that legal action was an option. To date, however, no lawsuit has been filed.

The article, entitled "The Cranky taterskins Fan's Guide to Dan Snyder," detailed dozens of Snyder's actions as team owner and businessman. It recounted such episodes as the controversy surrounding the removal of trees on land adjacent to Snyder's home near the Potomac River and his raising of parking and ticket prices at FedEx Field, the taterskins' home.

The article was accompanied by a clearly doctored photo of Snyder with horns and facial hair. It drew hundreds of comments on City Paper's Web site, almost all of them praising McKenna and condemning Snyder.

McKenna has written critically about Snyder's ownership of the team for years, and has broken a number of stories that have painted Snyder in unflattering terms. McKenna has also freelanced music reviews and other stories to The Post's Style section for several years.

He had no comment when contacted Tuesday; he referred calls to Amy Austin, City Paper's publisher.

Austin, in an interview, stood by McKenna's work, calling his Nov. 19 story "very, very solid. . . . If there was something to correct, we would have corrected it." She added, "Dave is a stellar reporter. He provides original and well-reported content for us every week."

Austin said she couldn't comment on Snyder's objections because the team owner hasn't spoken with anyone at her publication. She referred questions to Marty Petty, chief executive of Creative Loafing. Petty did not return calls seeking comment.

Snyder has never sued a media organization for something aired or printed, according to Patty Glaser, one of his lawyers. But Glaser said Tuesday that a lawsuit is being prepared. Defending such a suit can be an expensive proposition for a media organization.

"We have been pushed in this direction, in our view," said Glaser, a well-known litigator based in Los Angeles who represented Conan O'Brien in his negotiations to leave NBC last year. "It's something we tried to avoid. We feel they have published untruths" about Snyder. She declined to describe Snyder's objections or to detail factual errors allegedly published by City Paper.

According to several people with direct knowledge of the situation, Snyder's attorneys contacted The Post last week and asked the newspaper to preserve e-mails between Post sports blogger Dan Steinberg and McKenna.

The attorneys said they intend to explore whether there was any agreement between McKenna and Steinberg to cross-promote McKenna's pieces on Snyder. Steinberg routinely links to sports content across the Web.

McKenna and Steinberg are former neighbors and longtime friends, a fact disclosed by Steinberg when he linked to McKenna's City Paper article on Steinberg's D.C. Sports Bog blog in November. At the time, Steinberg called McKenna's article "an encyclopedic takedown of Snyder's decade of taterskins ownership, with just about all the horror stories gathered in one place."

McKenna, in turn, occasionally mentions Steinberg's work in his City Paper columns and blog postings, referring to him as "the Great Dan Steinberg."

Steinberg declined to comment Tuesday, as did The Post.

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Snyder makes a strong case for a revised and updated version of the Guide to be published.  Let's hope Mckenna and City Paper don't shy away from the challenge.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

snyder is the gift that keeps on giving

i hope he never goes anywhere
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Seabiscuit36

For a guy who was so successful at a young age, its crazy how stupid he is handling this shtein. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on February 02, 2011, 01:27:28 PM
For a guy who was so successful at a young age, its crazy how stupid he is handling this shtein. 

This must be sarcasm.  I catch a waft of sarcasm.

He's done nothing but provide ammo to people who point at him as an example of a filthy rich person who got just plain lucky.  Not much to the guy, by all accounts.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

PoopyfaceMcGee

From Snyder's Wikipedia article... It all makes sense now.

QuoteIn an initial public offering for SNC in September 1996, Daniel Snyder became the youngest ever CEO of a New York Stock Exchange listed company at the age of 32.

He expanded the company aggressively through a string of acquisitions, and in April 2000, Snyder Communications was sold to the French advertising and marketing services group Havas in an all-stock transaction valued at in excess of US$2 billion, the largest transaction in the history of the advertising/market industry.

MDS

be real you googled "havas" and that came up

creep
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PoopyfaceMcGee

When I google "Havas" all that comes up are message board posts from a guy with screen name "T_Oro" on unrequitedgaylove.com.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 02, 2011, 01:33:15 PM
btw here is the fan guide for those who havent seen it...its pure gold

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/40063/the-cranky-taterskins-fans-guide-to-dan-snyder/

What exactly is Snyder trying to sue for?  Because the author of the article said mean things about him?  Boo hoo.  Most of the stuff had an accompanying link taking you to the real source, so all this guy really did was take all the bad things other people say about Snyder and put all that information in one place.....because it's good to have all that information in one place.