Philadelphia

Started by Diomedes, October 19, 2006, 12:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 21, 2006, 03:25:00 AMI don't care what he does as long as I don't have to explain to my 9 and 6 year old daughters what he's selling.

I tried to come up with a way to reply to this crap, but couldn't.  I give up.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Geowhizzer on October 21, 2006, 09:51:38 AM
A questionthat I didn't see answered in the article:

Is it visible? I would be against having the material prominently or visibly displayed where anyone could see it. I'm not familiar with current laws about this in Philadelphia (or anywhere else for that matter).

I could see a scenario where the magazines are available for purchase, but kept behind the counter. I wouldn't be overly estatic about the idea, but I probably wouldn't come in contact with it.

Good point and I agree with you.  As long as it's not being displayed then that's fine with me.

Quote from: Diomedes on October 21, 2006, 11:25:01 AM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 21, 2006, 03:25:00 AMI don't care what he does as long as I don't have to explain to my 9 and 6 year old daughters what he's selling.

I tried to come up with a way to reply to this crap, but couldn't. I give up.

:-D  I know this pisses you off too. 

General_Failure

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 21, 2006, 03:36:53 PM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on October 21, 2006, 09:51:38 AM
A questionthat I didn't see answered in the article:

Is it visible? I would be against having the material prominently or visibly displayed where anyone could see it. I'm not familiar with current laws about this in Philadelphia (or anywhere else for that matter).

I could see a scenario where the magazines are available for purchase, but kept behind the counter. I wouldn't be overly estatic about the idea, but I probably wouldn't come in contact with it.

Good point and I agree with you.  As long as it's not being displayed then that's fine with me.

Quote from: Diomedes on October 21, 2006, 11:25:01 AM

I tried to come up with a way to reply to this crap, but couldn't. I give up.

:-D  I know this pisses you off too. 

The currect response, Dio, is "Don't worry, I'll educate them for you. No need to thank me."

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Susquehanna Birder

Nice. I'm sure his kid will now be on the first team!

Diomedes

Bush/Cheney/Republicans may not want us to see the coffins coming back from Iraq--free speech be damned they say--but plenty of Americans are finding ways to mark the daily cost of the invasion and war.  Including this Philly lady, who shrink wrapped her car, and is displaying the name of every U.S. soldier killed in Iraq. 

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/15840609.htm

Quote<snip>
"Two dead today in Basra. Three dead yesterday in Tikrit," said Beail-Farkas, a cardiac nurse at Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital in Darby. "It doesn't sound like that many, but they were adding up."

Five months ago, she decided to turn the numbers into something more tangible. If it took sacrificing her new Nissan, so be it.

Inspired by the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, she resolved to inscribe the names of all the American servicemen and women who had died in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

She calls it her "vehicle of self-expression."

Here and across the country, dozens of other grassroots memorials have sprouted, celebrating the lives of the fallen soldiers even if not celebrating the war.

From crosses in California beach sand to American flags on a South Jersey architect's office to a traveling display of combat boots, Americans are finding ways to remember.

"There hasn't been a central place for public mourning," said Mary Zerkel, director of the "Eyes Wide Open" boots memorial. "The administration hasn't even wanted to show photographs of the flag-draped coffins, so these spontaneous things are popping up."
<snip>
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteEmployees of the Inquirer and Daily News voted nearly unanimously tonight to authorize a strike. The contact between the Newspaper Guild and management expires Oct. 31. Workers at the two papers will be off the job if a deal is not struck before then.

General_Failure

Alright, my big break in scab journalism! :yay

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

Yeah, I can't wait to read stories in the Inky about Reno's opinions of TO or a human interest piece on Joselio's tonsil beater. 

QB Eagles

Quote from: General_Failure on October 27, 2006, 04:10:23 AM
Alright, my big break in scab journalism! :yay

I can't wait to read your poker column on the front page of the Inky.

PhillyPhreak54

Sad story here...

QuoteShot over A.I. jersey, he lost his life last night
By Natalie Pompilio
Inquirer Staff Writer

Kevin Johnson, who was left a quadriplegic after being shot over his Allen Iverson jersey, was removed from life support last night at Frankford Hospital, ending the life of a man who inspired and amazed Philadelphians with his ability to forgive the men responsible for his paralysis.

Johnson, 23, was shot in 2003 while waiting for a trolley on a Southwest Philadelphia corner. Five teenagers - one of whom was a rival with Johnson over a teenage girl - approached him from behind and demanded that he "give it up," referring to the jersey.

Johnson didn't. One of the youths fired a bullet into Johnson's neck.

Since the shooting, Johnson had required round-the-clock care, the bulk of it provided by his mother, Janice Jackson-Burke, at their Frankford home.

Last week, Jackson-Burke said, her son suffered irreparable brain damage after his breathing machine failed. They planned to remove him from artificial life support last night, with family and minister near.

He died at about 5:30 this morning, according to hospital spokeswoman Maria Slade.

The medical examiner will determine whether case can now be ruled a homicide, Philadelphia police said this morning.

Johnson's family decided to donate his organs. It was appropriate, they said: In life, Johnson's upbeat attitude and magnanimous spirit had helped those around him. In death, his body could do the same.

In a split second on June 24, 2003, Kevin Johnson went from being an independent, healthy man who loved playing basketball to one destined to spend the rest of his life in a hospital bed, paralyzed from his neck down, dependent on the care of others.

But he was never angry. He did not call himself unlucky or consider himself to be a victim. He forgave his attackers and encouraged his mother to do the same.

"I don't hate them... . I found it in my heart to forgive them," he said in an Inquirer interview last year.

Jackson-Burke said she was angry and sad after her son's shooting and didn't think she would be able to forgive his assailants. But she did.

"It was Kevin who pushed forgiveness," she said last year. "Then one day, I was tired of crying, and I forgave them, and I felt better."

Together, mother and son shared their story of acceptance and absolution, speaking in schools and during antiviolence events. Johnson would talk while strapped into a wheelchair that supported his head, a myriad of tubes and medical equipment around him - a visual, breathing example of the devastation that guns and violence can wreak.

Johnson went so far as to befriend one of the teens who was involved in the shooting. When the then-18-year-old was released from prison and living at a halfway house, the pair began talking on the phone and hanging out together.

Sitting in Johnson's room, they watched television or Johnson gave tips while the other played video games. They talked, covering light topics: basketball, football, wrestling.

But one topic was serious to both of them: the violence in the city.

When the two were together earlier this year, the mood in Johnson's room turned somber when Johnson disclosed that his cousin had been seriously injured in a shooting.

"There's too much," Johnson said.

The man who helped change Johnson's life nodded and agreed: "It's getting out of hand."

Condolences for Kevin Johnson's family can be sent in his name to Enon Baptist Tabernacle Church, 224 W. Coulter St., Philadelphia 19144.

Wingspan

So the eagles are signing kevin johnson?
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SD_Eagle5

I only skimmed through that article but I didn't see it mentioned that AI called the parents of the deceased victim and is paying the bill for the funeral cost. Just heard Ant and Steve talking about it.

Diomedes

Sgt PSN

Perhaps.  He was probably late for another practice, saw the kid and wanted the jersey so he could dress on the way.