Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles Legend

Started by MDS, January 14, 2016, 05:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on December 20, 2016, 02:15:14 PM
Some of his mistakes are 100% on him.  Others I gotta at least spread the blame equally to the players.

Take Agholor's 4th and 2 jet sweep for example. 

yeah and agholor should be fired after this year...doug is basically the coaching version of agholor...but at least agholor showed a lot in college...doug has never done shtein at any coaching level other than i guess high school and im not sure how good he was there

doug pederson being as good a coach as jason garrett is laughable....im not even saying garrett is some genius but doug is not an nfl coach period...garrett had a resume before he was hired and whatever else you want to say about him really smart...doug is more rich kotite or bruce coslet with no experience...if wentz becomes a true franchise qb could he turn into a 8-8 9-7 coach...i suppose so...but why wait around for that...they should cut bait as soon as possible and not waste any years

theres maybe been three games this year where doug didnt make an egregious decision that cost them....and in about half the games hes made fireable ones

--the sproles swing pass against dallas

--the wentz sweep and sproles up the guts vs the giants

--the matthews sweep against detroit

--allowing dallas to run out the clock

--the insane amount of passing plays this year with no wr's

--not calling a time out when agholor was lined up wrong against seattle

--in preseason not knowing how many headset channels the nfl allowed for calling in plays and thinking he had to go thru frank reich to get plays in

--the two yard challenge

--putting smallwood in against dallas

im sure im forgetting a bunch but it goes on and on...kindergarten mistakes...the kind that dont really improve with experience...you either know this shtein or you dont...and this doesnt even count the insane explanations hes given for things going back to the debacle in kc last year...him not knowing rules and how things work...hes so far in over his head its not even funny

chip kelly was/is a stubborn farg...a coach like that can change...doug pederson is a moron and you dont start getting smart at age 50
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

oh lolol i forgot about this one after the minny game...explaining what half the distance to the goal means when you are on the two yard line

"It's kind of a no brainer because you get the ball at the one, half the distance from the two"

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 20, 2016, 03:03:21 PM
doug is basically the coaching version of agholor

This made me laugh.  And all in all, I agree with everything you said.  Except this....

Quotechip kelly was/is a stubborn farg...a coach like that can change...doug pederson is a moron and you dont start getting smart at age 50

I'm probably just arguing semantics here, but stubborn people don't change.  I'm pretty sure that not changing is a common theme among stubborn people.  Chip ain't changing and Pederson isn't getting a Mensa invite any time soon, but I think Pederson has a higher NFL ceiling than Chip. 

I'm not even sure why I'm defending the guy.  I kind of feel bad for him, I guess.  Not to mention that I really do want him to do well.  He seems like a likable dope who would unintentionally keep you laughing all day and doesn't have a clue as to why.     

ice grillin you

i mean you very well may be right but chip kelly could change if he wanted...its at least a possibility however small of one

dumb 50 year olds dont wake up one day and become smart

AshishPatel81

Quote from: Sgt PSN on December 20, 2016, 01:44:50 PM
Quote from: AshishPatel81 on December 19, 2016, 09:55:29 PM
Maybe, but they lost 6 games this year by one score, and of those 6, 5 of them were by less than a TD and 2 of them by a single point.

If the Eagles have a better coaching staff, even if that led to the Eagles winning 3 of those 6 games, they have 8 wins and are right in the mix for a wildcard spot.

That's assuming that a different HC/coaching staff would have them in the exact same position during all of those games.  It's ridiculous to try and figure out how a different HC would do in those very specific scenarios when chances are those exact scenarios would never present themselves if another person was calling the shots.  The games would have played out completely different from the opening kick.....maybe for the better, maybe for the worse.  Who knows? 

But what it really comes down to is you don't fire a HC after 1 season unless it was a catastrophic disaster.  Especially when your QB is tied to the HC like Wentz and Pederson are.  Firing Pederson starts setting Wentz up for a Sam Bradford situation where he's getting a different OC every year for the first few years.  Unless the 2nd coming of Bill Walsh makes himself available to the Eagles, it just doesn't make sense to fire Pederson after 1 year.  You gotta give any HC a minimum of 2 years (3 is ideal, imo) to implement his system and get the players he wants before you can really evaluate his ability.

I didn't mean it that way. I was just using it as a barometer. What I meant was, if the Eagles had a better coaching staff, if these are teams they are barely losing to with awful coaching, I don't think it's a reach to say if they went into those games well coached, they could pull some of those out.

I think Doug Pederson is directly responsible for 2 of the losses at least. Dallas and Giants. In Dallas like ice said, he did the stupid pass to push the FG back, declined not to kick the FG, which makes it a 2 possession game with 5 minutes left or so.

The Giants game they had to play catch up all game long with his idiotic decisions to go for 4th down, and when he went for them he kept running Wentz to the edge like he had Michael Vick speed. It was just awful.

I'm not just focusing in on Pederson either, Schwartz has been bad. Guy refuses to blitz in a game unless he gets massively drilled through the media the week before, shows very little creativity or diversity on defense. All his defensive units have regressed this season and with no major injuries to blame. I'm starting to think he was unemployed last year for a reason.

I don't think the Eagles are a playoff team with a better coaching staff, but I can say this confidently and that's with a better coaching staff, the Eagles certainly would not have been officially eliminated from playoff contention already, and would have more wins than they do now.

ice grillin you

you can make make an argument that putting vaitai in at all when he clearly wasnt ready and then not helping him for most of the game cost them the wash game

then you had three games in a row with double digit penalties and two of those games being close losses...now obviously all those penalties are not on the coach but when its that bad his nice guy persona that made no one accountable much less worried definitely contributed to a laissez faire attitude...i will say that is correctable as dealing with a locker room is definitely something you feel out as you gain experience in the league

Rome

They're 0-6 in games decided by 7 points or less.   Coaching matters in games like that.   It's no substitute for talent on the field, however.  Give Wentz the weapons that were here before (Pimp, Shady and Maclin) and I have no doubt this is a playoff team. 

AshishPatel81

I agree, but I don't think they will ever be a Superbowl contender until they get real coaches in here. Even in this watered down NFL. I know it's a cliche, but the NFL isn't like the NBA, in the NFL playoffs anybody can be anybody. Those chances increase dramatically when you have a legit coaching staff that goes in there and throws something the other staff isn't prepared for. I have no confidence Pederson or Schwartz would be capable of doing that.

ice grillin you

I could make the playoffs in the NFL...and probably even win a game

ice grillin you

mike lombardi

Quote"My beloved 76ers once hired a guy by the name of Roy Rubin from Long Island University. Poor Roy. He finished 4-47 before the Sixers canned him. 4-47! Years later, Fred Carter said 'Letting Rubin coach was like letting a teenager run a big corporation.'

Hey Fred, meet the Eagles' head coach, Doug Pederson! Now, everybody knows Pederson isn't a head coach. He might be less qualified to coach a team than anyone I've ever seen in my 30-plus years in the NFL.

PhillyPhreak54

Hot take society coming through

Off the top of my head Rich Kotite, Ray Handley, Chris Palmer, Rod Marinelli, Pat Shurmur, Rod Chudzinski, Lane Kiffin....all in the argument to be worse choices than Doug.

I'm sure there's more.

Pederson is a boring choice. He's had bad moments but he's not the worst ever

Sgt PSN

Doesn't matter if he is among the worst coaching hires all time or if he's just some boring, middle of the pack guy who will eventually be forgotten. Win football games or gtfo.  This is a make or break year for him as far as I'm concerned.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 04, 2017, 12:41:36 PM
Hot take society coming through

Off the top of my head Rich Kotite, Ray Handley, Chris Palmer, Rod Marinelli, Pat Shurmur, Rod Chudzinski, Lane Kiffin....all in the argument to be worse choices than Doug.

I'm sure there's more.

Pederson is a boring choice. He's had bad moments but he's not the worst ever

none of those coaches were in high school five minutes before they were hired

PhillyPhreak54

ice grillin you

nm