Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

I enjoyed it. They fit in a lot of reunions into one episode and handled them all relatively well. Dany and Jon being cheesy together was meh but Drogon the jealous dog was the star of that scene anyway.

Nikolaj catdjakdkxnehateverhisnameis does a great job acting with his facial expressions. That look he gave at the end when he realized who Bran was was great.

Poor Ned Umber.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagaholic

Pretty solid opening for the season. I thought the dragons flying through the ravines and such looked like some lame harry potter/lotr/star wars kind of shtein. And they still have silliness like in one swipe, someone cuts through about 5 turns of a rope thicker than your thumb binding someone's wrists. But other than that, a lot of good stuff.

Most intriguing to me is Cersei putting the hit out on Tyrion as well as Jamie. It was just last episode we heard Tyrion tell Bronn for about the 3rd time something like "if they ever pay you to kill me remember, I'll pay double.' It would be a totally Bronn thing to take the gold, get it doubled from the boys, and give them the crossbow to go valonqar on Cersie. Although it would also be nice to first see her have the baby (maybe twins?) leaving Jamie and Euron to argue over whose prince it is, or if Jami got his hair colored for this season. But I doubt Euron makes it to the end and probably they don't have time for that kind of arc.

Some good humor, epecially the Tyrion/Varys ball jokes, was welcome and needed to balance some of the tensions.

Kinda of liked the reprise of the pilot episode as the beginning of this season to bring it all full circle. Also thought they did a terrific job with the makeover for the opening theme. From the broken wall to the IT, very well done. Even liked the revised music that was King Roberts theme, played now for Jon and Dany's arrival at WF. The best piece in all GOT imo.

I liked Aya's coy smile back at Gendry but doubt we'll see faceless sex (Gendry: C'mon, be Melisandre again). I'd think Gendry and Jon have about equal claim to the IT, depending on how you see Robert's ligitimacy, which admittedly takes a hit as it becomes known Lyanna and Raeghar were consensual.

Wonder if young Ned becoming undead was supposed to be a foreshadow of Ned Stark coming back. Not sure how that'd work with a separated head though.

Interesting emotional scene with Sam and Dany, has to be setting something up. Dany may have to face Sam and Bran, who she doesn't know, telling her Jon is the rightful guy.

QB Eagles

Quote from: Eagaholic on April 15, 2019, 03:08:42 AM
Most intriguing to me is Cersei putting the hit out on Tyrion as well as Jamie.

I thought it was unlikely that Cersei would task someone with such a history with both Tyrion and Jaime to kill them, to the point where if I were Bronn I would expect some kind of setup by the paranoid queen.

Munson

perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Munson

-New intro was awesome. It makes sense considering they're only going to be at one or two places this season, so they had to find a way to extend it somehow. As soon as we saw Last Hearth, I was excited and then realized that's probably not good for someone...and it wasn't. Poor Ned Umber.

-Lovvvve all the call backs to the first episode in the beginning. The little kid scrambling and climbing to see the the army was a nice mix of Bran and Arya. And the return of King Robert's theme especially, one of my favorite scores from the show.

-Thought it was a good touch having the POC characters look at each other knowingly about all of the uncomfortable stares they were getting. The northerners have almost definitely never seen a non-white person so it really adds to the 'foreigner' angle.

-Jon being so happy to see Bran and Arya was nice. Bran just blurting it out and Jon looking at Sansa like uhhhh and Sansa giving him a knowing look back was good too. Loved Jon knowing after he saw Needle and Arya looks at him that she wants to see his sword.

-They threw in a cute moment for Ned Umber poking his head out around that big northerner just so they could kill him later...poor Ned Umber

-Lyanna being Lyanna and calling Jon out. Gotta love Lady Lyanna. Really hope we get to see her interact with more characters this season, and not just at meetings of lords yelling at Jon. At the very least her and Jorah talking.

-Sansa ridiculing Tyrion for trusting her sister is good too. Sansa truly has become a great player in the game. Something that worries me: Bran staring at Tyrion. Bran knows something. Is it some sort of treason Tyrion did (I still think tyrion promised cersei her kid would be Dany's heir)? Or is he seeing into Tyrion's future? Something is not good here.

-Cersei suddenly stopping and turning to Euron to invite him in was definitely something of a plan. Either it was pure hatred for Jaime leaving her and her wanting to try and get past it, or she realizes something with her pregnancy (or fake pregnancy). Either she was pregnant but lost the baby/never was pregnant, and thinks to keep up the lie she told Jaime she needs to get pregnant, or she realized she was pregnant and could secure Euron's absolute loyalty by lying and saying it's his kid. She definitely had some sort of sudden thought that caused her to think otherwise about inviting him upstairs.

-Bronn is still such an ambiguous character morally that I truly do not know what he'll do. I want to believe his friendship with the Lannister brothers will keep him from doing it but....who knows. The "pox" line was hilarious though.

-Glad they got the Yara rescue done fast, but now it seems she'll just be heading back to the Iron Islands. I assume we'll see her again in the final battle for the throne, once the white walkers are defeated.

-Drogon the jealous child will never not be funny to me. Jon the Dragonrider! The King who Rode! Very cool moment.

-Arya and the Hound was fantastic. The Hound looking proud for Arya becoming a cold blooded killer was a nice touch, especially since we know the Hound isn't quite as heartless as he tried to pretend to be to Arya. Ayra and Gendry, definitely some tension there. "You look good", the look back, etc.

-Lord Glover is annoying. Sam finding out from Dany and Jorah was tough. Poor Sam.

-Sam telling Jon went about as expected. Jon looked absolutely exasperated at the thought.

-I wish we had time for more exposition and little scenes, because Tormund seeing where the Umbers lived would prob be a cool moment otherwise as a wildling who has probably fought the Umbers before (and definitely did in BotB). Again, poor Ned Umber. THat scene was unsettling, to say the least.

-Jaime seeing Winterfell again, this time in a much different circumstance than last, was a good touch. And of course the faces of realization he has when he sees Bran are great too. I hope the next episode starts with him going up to Bran and apologizing.

That's all I got off the top of my head after one watch and a night to sleep on it.

Eagles_Legendz

Dany annoys me so farging much as a character.   No explanation, no anything - just her never ending sense of entitlement.

Tyrion definitely going to do something to betray Dany - or already has.  That seemed to me to be what Bran's stare was implying.  I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning it after the episode.  It'll be funny when Tyrion takes a heel turn and Jaime dies a hero given where they started.

Best scene was John Bradley's acting as Sam after finding out about his family.  I generally dgaf about Sam but that scene landed for me because of his acting.

I was encouraged to see the White Walker symbols again.  Leads credence to me feeling like they'll have some point or intrigue beyond being mindless killing machines this year.

Eagaholic

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on April 15, 2019, 08:20:19 PM
Dany annoys me so farging much as a character.   No explanation, no anything - just her never ending sense of entitlement.

Tyrion definitely going to do something to betray Dany - or already has.  That seemed to me to be what Bran's stare was implying.  I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning it after the episode.  It'll be funny when Tyrion takes a heel turn and Jaime dies a hero given where they started.

Best scene was John Bradley's acting as Sam after finding out about his family.  I generally dgaf about Sam but that scene landed for me because of his acting.

I was encouraged to see the White Walker symbols again.  Leads credence to me feeling like they'll have some point or intrigue beyond being mindless killing machines this year.
That's one thing that stood out to me - how for Dany it is still all about the Thronez. She understands what's coming but still won't sublimate her ambitions for the the only cause that matters. The Sam scene made me worry for him. Always assumed he'd make it to the end, based on that's what companions named Sam do along side the unlikely fantasy hero. But we've seen it before when GOT builds up emotional investment in a character before offing them (for example the extra Davos/Shireen scenes before she was burnt).

Munson

Good point on the Sam scene...the actor really sold the pain and hurt well

Eagaholic

That's why they call him Samwell.

Also, unlike Sansa and Aya who aren't going to get pushed around anymore

Rome

I felt legit sad for Sam.  I'm pretty sure anyone else would have cut her empty blond head clean off.  The rest of it varied between stupid and hilariously funny (pox!).

Munson

Yeah the pox line was hilarious. As was the blue eyes line

Eagles_Legendz

I really liked that episode

Munson

Yeah that shtein was awesome.

I am ready for next week. But also not because I'm not ready to lose some of these characters.

Eagaholic

Very good episode. I like that Jon disclosed his identity to Dany in this ep. It sets up so many more possibilities for next week. I still doubt we'll see a Nisa Nisa ending but with her knowing Jon is king it could be legit pulled off for the most dramatic moment of the series with nothing else even close.

Munson

I feel like they shied away too much from magical swords to introduce lightbringer now.

But if we get anything close to a dues ex machina next week, it's gonna be Lady Mel returning from Volantis with some fire manges