Re: Random Gun Information Still Not Worthy of a New Thread

Started by Sgt PSN, May 24, 2011, 10:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

The point is not all gun laws are equal.

Some border on an unequivocal violation of the second amendment and the enforcement of bogus laws is always wrong.

Diomedes

You're being a pain in the ass.  You know damn well that I'm talking about basic gun laws.  Laws that say don't point guns at people, don't carry them into nightclubs, don't sell them to felons, don't shoot at people...etc.  The sentences convicts regularly receive for these offenses are as weak as your point.

I don't want to keep you from owning a gun, but if you point it at someone who cuts you off in traffic, you should go to jail for a long time.  If you can't agree with that concept, then we don't have much to say to each other on the subject.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

The fact that I own a gun should give you a small measure of comfort.  Considering my flashpoint temper, borderline depression, and penchant for alcohol abuse, on any given weekend I'm this close from taking myself out.

ice grillin you

im not saying they arent but what are the gun laws that are unconstitutional?...i dont really care that much or keep up on this topic as its a waste of time since it will never change

and how do you "border" on unequivocal
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Simple.  States rights trump federal law in these cases.   That's why you have varying possession and ownership restrictions from state to state yet gun ownership has not been completely outlawed in any of them.

If a state ever tried to outlaw them completely they'd get laughed out of court.

ice grillin you

oh i thought you were saying there were anti gun laws on the books now that were unconstitutional

PhillyPhreak54

Should you be allowed to buy an automatic rifle and armor piercing rounds?

Diomedes

My opinion is no. 

But I don't feel half as strongly about that kind of question as I do about sentencing and actual time served for gun criminals.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Quote from: phattymatty on May 25, 2011, 10:33:52 AM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 25, 2011, 08:38:58 AM
Carrying a gun, legally or otherwise should not come with a prison sentence. At least not for a first offense. If the gun is fired publicly then I think that intent should be a factor.

can't believe anyone is saying that it's not a huge deal for a gun to go off in a crowded club. intentional or not.

That's not what I'm suggesting at all.  It's a very big deal but I don't think it's worth prison time. 

his biggest problem is wearing sweatpants to the club. get some nice jeans and that shtein stays inside your belt son.

Yes. 

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 25, 2011, 08:35:16 AM
keep a pistol in your house if you want....make some exception for sport guns and the rest are illegal and should be punished hard...guns should not be allowed on any public property or allowed to be carried

i dont give a rats ass about it being in the constitution...everything in that document is always on the table for ammending

And if it gets amended, fine.  I have no problem with that.  But as it is written right now, it is open for extremely liberal interpretation and there are many who interpret it far more liberally than I do. 

Besides, my problem isn't with the law in NYC, it's the punishment in a case like this one.  When lawmakers came up with these punishments and got them passed into actual laws, they weren't thinking about a case like Burress.   

ice grillin you

well i dont think you should be able to bring a gun outside your residence or business so you can imagine how i feel about bringing it in a club or bar

Sgt PSN

In today's day and age, I actually agree.  There's no point in it since we have very well organized police departments and a much more sophisticated infrastructure.  This isn't the wild wild west.  Cops are plentiful and available at a moment's notice (unless you live in a bad neighborhood) and almost every business establishment that gets a lot of outside foot traffic has in house security.  So the need for personal protection is no where near as great as it was 200 years ago.  However, the law says it's ok and until the law changes I won't be very adamant against them.  I don't find it necessary to carry a piece but I'm not against it enough to make a stand against it.  It is what it is. 

But getting back to my original point, I think Burress would be a slightly smarter person today had he been forced to attend some intense weapons safety classes, perform an insane amount of community service and pay a hefty fine.  Not only that, but NYC wins too because they get to add his fine $$ to their budget, get free labor for a few hundred hours and don't have to spend tax $$ to house an inmate for a couple of years. 

I really think that in a case like Burress, it should have been taken into consideration that he had no prior gun convictions (or any convictions that I can remember....??) and that his negligence and stupidity didn't result in any casualties other than himself.  Not to mention that he didn't pull it out, didn't point it at anyone, wasn't even involved in a confrontation.  It just fell out of his waistband so it's not like there's any argument that could say he had intent to use it against someone. 

ice grillin you

he wasnt allowed to ccw in nyc...thats why he got what he got...complain about the heavy handedness of the sentencing guidelines of illegal ccw or complain about how difficult it is to get a cw permit in the city but thats what got him the time...not the fact that it accidentily went off...altho he did get reckless endangerment for that

Rome

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 25, 2011, 09:11:49 PMwell i dont think you should be able to bring a gun outside your residence or business

is the brick road that leads to your castle yellow by any chance?

jesus...

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on May 25, 2011, 09:38:04 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on May 25, 2011, 09:11:49 PMwell i dont think you should be able to bring a gun outside your residence or business

is the brick road that leads to your castle yellow by any chance?

jesus...

im surprised you are still here to post after all the showdowns behind the applebees corral you have survived

you must be quick on that trigger son!!