The "I Miss Sassy" Sports Thread

Started by Rome, February 06, 2008, 10:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 07, 2008, 12:16:26 AM
What are you? a gay?

nope. just not a hick from texas who isnt aware there is an entire world outside of his stupid state. and also jewish.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phattymatty

i do think soccer is fairly gay, and i hate how they flop like little pansies, but i've been watching it a lot lately since my neighborhood bar is a big soccer bar.  they show dozens of premiership and other foreign league games and the place gets packed with wasted foreigners.  it's a good time.

ice grillin you

this thread vaults romey into the top 5 worst posters...with a bullett
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MDS on February 07, 2008, 09:25:19 AM
What are you? a gay?

nope. just not a hick from texas who isnt aware there is an entire world outside of his stupid state. and also jewish.

Soccer is big down here. I'm not from Texas.

You're still gay for thinking world cup is king all. All 4 major sports playoffs + March Madness + College World Series + NCAA Bowl Season are all above and beyond farging soccer.

Wingspan

I don't give a turd about soccer...but the World Cup is about as great a sporting even as you can muster up.

Half the world stops everything for the world cup. I have a neighbor that had world cup parties at their house last time around...at 3 am on a tuesday. And they loaded their house with people.

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Rome

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 07, 2008, 09:42:24 AM
What are you? a gay?

You're still gay for thinking world cup is king all. All 4 major sports playoffs + March Madness + College World Series + NCAA Bowl Season are all above and beyond farging soccer.

People in every country on Earth watch the World Cup, Jay.  Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and it's not even close.

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 07, 2008, 09:42:24 AM
What are you? a gay?

lol

Anyone who'd rather watch the nhl or nba playoffs, college world series or fargfest of meaningless bowl games over a once every four years elite athletic competition where people are playing for pride of their countries is an idiot.

the fact that just about everyone in the world cares about this silly soccer tournament, not just a few million people from america, is what makes it so good. also that its not every year, that there is an enormous amount of build up and hype around it, all the different cultures and languages coming together to just play a sport. its great and transcends any yearly sporting event in america. not even close.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

hbionic

Quote from: MDS on February 07, 2008, 06:06:36 PM
lol

Anyone who'd rather watch the nhl or nba playoffs, college world series or fargfest of meaningless bowl games over a once every four years elite athletic competition where people are playing for pride of their countries is an idiot.

the fact that just about everyone in the world cares about this silly soccer tournament, not just a few million people from america, is what makes it so good. also that its not every year, that there is an enormous amount of build up and hype around it, all the different cultures and languages coming together to just play a sport. its great and transcends any yearly sporting event in america. not even close.

MDS, that just may have been your shining moment on this board. Great post. Gold claps, all around.

One of the greatest stories was 8 years ago when the South Koreans made it to the final 4. Those fans are nucking futs! And the occasional pan of the camera to South Korean hotties, is the bacon on top!

Now, hopefully, Mexico can put together a team and advance past the sweet 16.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

MDS

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Munson

Soccer could be more popular then God and it still would be gay.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

Quote from: Munson on February 08, 2008, 01:53:09 AM
Soccer could be more popular then God and it still would be gay.

i wish we saw soccer as much as god
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Soccer has one huge problem to solve before Americans buy in.  It's not the low scoring, and it's not the lack of breaks for commercials.

It's the flopping, mincing, nancyboy culture of feigning injury to draw the foul.  Americans will never tolerate that kind of cheap weak melodrama in sport.  It does happen some in the NBA...but not nearly to the degree it happens in soccer.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

I hate it when I agree with Dio but I do so whole heartedly in this instance.  Watch a Premiership match.  There's more half-assed diving going on than at a Sandals Resort in Jamaica.

Another problem is the officiating although less so than the diving bit.  The referee seems to pull the yellow card way too quickly for some teams yet never pulls it for the other.   Lots of favoritism going on over there but that sort of thing happens way too frequently in the NHL too.

Whatever, though.  Soccer when it's played at its highest level with its best players in really interesting to watch.   Unfortunately the MLS would be like a third rate minor league in Europe and elsewhere so until the quality of talent increases, there's no point in watching that mess.

Munson

Exactly.

Bunch of a farging Hoydas, the lot of them.

Play some football or some Rugby. Soccer in America is for the Hoydas that couldn't take the pads and the hitting in football, but were too bored to run cross country and needed a sphere to kick around while they ran.

Soccer for recreational purposes/playing with some friends isn't too bad.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds