Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

QB Eagles

Munson

Overlord-It's a nazi zombies movie so obviously it's not winning any Academy Awards but holy shtein it's entertaining as hell. Very good mix of action, horror, and thriller. Definitely worth going to see if you're into the JJ Abrams/Sci Fi stuff.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

MDS

working my way through the oscar movies albeit very lazily

black panther - well done super hero movie with heavy handed political points that got my bleeding heart jewish dick all chubbed up. i cant take it seriously because when push comes to shove its a dumb comic book movie with a ludicrous michael b jordon character, magic potions and cartoonish african accents. i cant fault them for giving it an oscar nom since it did so well and we need to tell trump to go slit his wrists in every way we can. the fairest comparasion is to TDK and it wasnt not as good as that. but to be fair im not the comic book movie demo. 3/5

buster scruggs - 6 short films only slightly connected thematically. its a difficult film to judge because its not really a film...its 6 short films. as is with all coen movies its short insanely well and the cinematogrophy is gorgeous. they are dorks who hold up production for 2 days to get the wide shot just so, and it pays off. i would rank the shorts 1) tom waits goes prospecting 2) zoe kazan whoopsie 3)james franco bank robbery uh oh 4)buster 5)liam neeson cripple 6)talking in a carraige. the tom waits one i couldve watched for hours and the last one i couldnt wait to be over. overall its a mighty worthwhile watch. 4/5
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

crazy rich asians - well done romantic comedy drama thing. carried by some killer performances from constance wu and the legend michelle yeoh. really well directed for a movie and type of movie a plant could direct. obviously very cliched right down to the guy chasing the girl on the airplane to get the proposal. a big scene in the movie involves the girl throwing a game of majong, which you dont pick up unless you know the rules of majong, which uhhh i do not. regardless this is a great date night movie that could earn some handies for the dudes out there. 3.5/5

blackkklansman - awesome story and crushed directing from spike. they deviated from the real story but its still quiet unreal this basically happened. the ending gave my liberal penis a full blown panic attack. farg trump with the power of 1000 suns. 4/5

wont you be my neighbor? - did not weep like a baby like i thought i was gong to. mr rogers was my dude growing up, like he was for so many, so my expectations were through the roof. they werent met. solid doc but was not blown away. 3/5
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Munson

Speaking of nerdgasm, the new Godzilla trailer is LIT
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Rome

Quote from: Rome on May 28, 2018, 02:20:17 PM
Deadpool 2 was absolutely hilarious.  It dragged mildly for about 5 minutes in the middle, but other than that, it was fantastic. 

The end credits scene(s) were awesome too. 

A++

I watched this again yesterday with my daughter and I actually laughed harder this time.

We're thinking of going to see Once Upon A Deadpool, but we'll see.

ice grillin you

roma - for starters just gonna say this right off the bat....DO NOT WATCH THIS ON NETFLIX...it has to be seen on the big screen or dont see it at all....stunningly beautiful and superbly intimate story based on alfonso cuarons own upbringing in his home neighborhood...his camera work and vision in this movie is just incredible...and i dont think either is better than the one in children of men but there are two tracking shots in this movie one during the mexico riots of 1971 and one scene in the ocean that are just incredible...now that all said the story itself didnt really grab me...there is no there there....its super slow detailed and long which was his goal but none of the characters nor any of the plot grabbed me....this is why imo its so crucial to see it int he theater...not just because you will miss out on the beauty of it but because if like me the story doesnt hit you you still get to experience everything else at its highest degree...also for all its positives and it does have a lot rewatchability is not one of them....honestly even if you love it i cant imagine ever watching this thing twice

7/10

an innocent man - john grishams new docu series...really well done but gets to the point very quickly where you feel like you seen this story a million times...just a a different city or town....doesnt make it any less important or infuriating but i didnt feel like it needed 6 hours to tell the story that probably one episode of 48 hrs could have probably pulled off

5/10

hereditary - not so much scary as was reported when it came out but incredibly creepy and suspenseful....until the end when it just goes completely off the rails and gets stupid as farg

6.5/10

the favourite - probably my favorite movie of the year...super fun led by an awesome cast...not even close to your typical english period piece

8/10

black klansman - awful revisionist history which basically ruined the movie which wasnt that great to begin with...tried so hard to be funny but was basically corny as shtein for the whole thing...would have played much better as a drama

4/10

maggies plan - greta gerwig is soooo super likeably good in this that it makes what would normally be a typical but fun rom com into much more...its also some reasonably intelligent things to say about child bearing and rasing...i liked it a lot

7.5/10

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

minding the gap - basically a home video...this kid started filming his group of skateboarding friends and their trials and tribulations of growing up in rockford illinois...the film follows them over a five year period but covers their whole farged up lives which is pretty emotional at times...the boys to men clips at the end will get ya...definitely not a polished piece of work but it hits you...very similar feeling to mid 90's that came out a few months ago cept this is a doc and that was a movie...the one negative was that it felt at times like an episode of teen mom but overall the positives far outweigh the negatives and is definitely worth seeing

6.5/10

MDS

sorry to bother you - really unique and interesting movie that didnt completely work for me. its out there and itll either land or not land for you. silly and goofy at times then just bonkers cartoonish at the end. 2/5

searching - very cool presentation of a tried and true trope (missing girl). the script and plotting were MOW quality. john cho was very good in the lead. basically the entire movie is shown from the perspective of the computer. so its all texts, google searches, web browsers, facetime calls, etc. they took some liberities with it, but its done well. the red herrings are just nonsense as is the case with these movies. in short its a law and order episode dressed up nicely. 2.5/5

blockers - besides ike barinholtz cracking me up and the indian girl who was fine AF, this is a pointless movie. 3 parents for some reason try to stop their kids from having sex on prom night. you see gary cole's penis. one of the girls is gay but her friends dont know? is this still a thing in 2018? anyway john cena is the main guy but you cant take him seriously at all. he looks like a cartoon character. 1.5/5 

roma - lived up to the hype and then some some. a 2 hour black and white movie about 1970s mexico in 2 different languages, neither of which is english, might not be for everyone. but cuaron outdoes himself with a few long takes (the birth, the beach one) that might be better than anything he did in children of men or gravity. the first half is a tad slow emeressing yourself in this world but the 2nd half is just superb. loved the ending. 4.5/5

the favourite - didnt work for me. weird for the sake of being weird. not a huge fan of stuffy british movies set 300 years ago, and this is not that. its emma stone and rachel weisz trying to back stab and one up each other to be the queen's bottom bitch. and get this - the queen is out her damn mind. you do emma stone's boob so theres that. overall not nearly as funny as it think it is and the final shot theyre trying way too hard. 2.5/5

green book - so much funnier than i was anticipating. viggo and mahershala are really farging good together. its not an original movie by any stretch of the imagination...you can see everything coming from a mile away because this has all been done 100 times before. just done really well here. trump is a farging monster so corny movies like this where black and white come together at the end and viggo scolds his brother for saying tutsoon is a good thing. i saw this on xmas eve at one of the PFC theatres (so an overtly jewey/white liberal guilt audience) and they clapped at the end. had no idea the guy viggo is playing wound up being carmine in the sopranos. 3.5/5

if bradley beal street could talk - this was really god damn good. first off its shot insanely well. the colors and lighting are superb. its mostly about a young black couple navigating an unplanned preganancy when he is put in jail over some BS. the early scene with both families is the scene of the year. shouldve seen more of that. but overall really strong and insanely heartbreaking. havent felt this despondant after a movie since manchester by the sea. highly recommend seeing with a black audience. special shoutout to philly and temple's own coleman domingo who crushed it. 4/5

smeags

bumble-bee - meh. glad I didn't pay to see it. good for the kids I guess
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

MDS

vice - not your typical biopic. first off they make no real effort to lionize chaney, like most biopics do, because, well, you cant. hes a farging evil monster. there are a lot of gimmicks and asides thrown into the film. some work. some dont. the ones that do go on too long. bale is good. amy adams is playing amy adams. rockwell is doing an impression of will ferrell's w. steve carrell is doing michael scott as rumsfeld. extra points for the unapologetic liberal slant. overall very hit and a miss. 2.5/5

first reformed - jesus christ. first off this is shot and blocked insanely well. its a little slow but fairly gripping even though the plot revolving around a priest and global warming is kinda silly....then theres a scene toward the end that is about the dumbest thing in the history of world...then theres the actual ending which is somehow even more preposterous. with that said, ethan hawke and cedric the entertainer (yes, him!) were really strong. amanda seyfried was boner inducing. its on amazon so i recommend watching even though its just a ridiculous last 30 minutes. 1.5/5

ice grillin you

belle epoch - 1992 best foreign language film...really really funny and one of the smartest rom coms ive ever seen...treated sex in a way that almost no american filmaker ever has or could and delves into politics and religion which is something you never see in these kinds of movie...brilliant all around

8/10