Golf

Started by stalker, January 29, 2009, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Holy shtein, Dude...

NO

:-D

Munson

Hey DH, I'm trying to get some starter clubs myself so I've been looking around, and SportsAuthority has some okay looking new sets in the 100-200 dollar range. Nothing fancy at all but I think they'd still be better than those two you posted. There's one on there for $109 but the reviews said they break easily.

What do the golfers here think of something like this? It's nothing too fancy but I'm just starting out.

And can someone here tell me what the differences are between stiff flex and mid flex and all that?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Rome

Flex pertains to clubhead speed.  Most low handicappers have a higher clubhead speed and don't need the artificial rubber band effect you get from more flexible clubs.  For instance, if you hit a five iron say 150-170 yards then a regular flex would be ideal.  If you you crank it out further then a stiff flex would be better.  It all depends on how far you consistently hit a given iron.

Regular flex (80-90 MPH clubhead speed usually) should be fine for any beginner. 

And try as I might I see I have to remind someone else of this.  DON'T BUY shtein CLUBS.  If you're going to take up the game and be in any way serious about, invest in a good set of clubs.  I'm not saying spend 1,000 dollars on a Scotty Cameron putter or anything.  Just go to a local used golf store and get a nice set of clubs that you can grow into as a player.

DH

Thanks for the heads up Munson..

How about these? Are these considered shtein clubs? Recommended by a buddy..

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10943204&ab=TopNav_Golf_MensClubs_CompleteSets&cp=4413989.4414118

Sgt PSN

That looks like a decent set. The one Munson posted doesn't look bad either.  Guess it's just a matter of what you can afford when deciding what to buy. Pretty sure $200 isn't going to break the bank.

A couple other thing you want to pick up before heading out on the course for the first time:

Glove
Towel
Cleaning brush
Divot tool
Beer
Shoes*

*I never understood why golfers needed traction until I finally bought a pair.

Munson

Played my first real round of 18 today...shot 132 :-D
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Sgt PSN

I'm pretty sure I shot in the 130's my first time out too.  Maybe even the 140's.  You'll get down to the 110 range fairly quickly.  From then on the only way you'll likely see any serious improvement is if you either take lessons or play a couple times a week.  The first time you get below 100 will leave you with a 3 day rager. 

DH

I shot my first 9 this afternoon and came to one conclusion..

if mosquitos are attracted to all courses like the one I was on today, I'm OUT.

Holy shtein, I'm bit the hell up.

Sgt PSN

Golf courses have water hazards.  Mosquitoes like hanging around water.  Therefore, golf courses have mosquitoes.  Please mail your driver to me.  I broke mine. 

PhillyPhreak54

So what did you shoot? Did you like it?

SD

Tell the golf course you're not happy with the course because of the amount of mosquitos around the pond. Suggest they throw some fish in the pond that eat larva (Mosquito fish work well). They're cheap and very effective.

Sgt PSN

Farg that.  Send me your driver and stop playing.  The mosquitoes will never go away.  In fact, they only get worse the more you play. 

SunMo

played at my favorite course Saturday.  had a really nice round, hit more good shots than usual and I knew I was on the way to break 100 which is my goal right now.  then the 18th hole comes and i somehow shoot a farging 10 on it.  finished with a 102.  disappointing to say the least.

on the bright side, i had a 320 straight drive on one hole and another hole i chipped out of the sand and hit the flag.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

DH

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 10, 2011, 10:29:55 PM
So what did you shoot? Did you like it?

we stopped keeping count after a few holes because I had a lot of questions for the guys I was playing with, so it was more of a free 9 hole lesson than an actual game. I did shoot a one over par on the first hole of my life which I guess was kinda cool..

I liked it a lot though. Im off all week so I plan on hitting the range a few times and hope to get back out there again too. well see long this lasts, but I'm definitely on board.

reese125

I can give you some helpful tips without even seeing your swing in action.

tell me what youre doing the most of (slice, hook, getting the ball up in the air, etc.) and I can get you in line for starts. Its probably a mix of all the above so you have to cure one at a time. I can tell you that before you do anything you have to have your stance correct for each club you select and your grip on the club set. Do you have an inter-locking grip or baseball bat grip? If its the latter, switch up immediately. The rest will follow, but as you know its going to take a while.