Gimme your opinion

Started by Sgt PSN, August 26, 2003, 12:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

I've been playing in a fantasy league with some friends for 4 years now and we just had our draft on Saturday.  It's a cap league and we also get to play 3 wild card players every week from any position.  We keep a 25 man roster with 20 active players and 5 bench players.
Take a look at my roster and give an honest opinion of how you guys think I did.  

QB
Brady
Brunell
Griese
Carr
Boller

RB
S. Alexander
D. Staley
Antwione Smith
Pittman
D. Foster
M. Anderson
Mo Williams
T. Jones

WR
T.O
Burress
Stallworth
S. Moss
Kev. Johnson
D. Terrell

TE
Heap
McMicheal

K
Akers
B. Gramatica

Def
Philly
Houston

Sgt PSN

The only position I'm not very happy with at all is QB because I've got very unreliable depth after Brady, but I'm pretty sure that I can work a trade somewhere to try and improve my position.  Be brutally honest please.  I know my CFFFL draft sucked big time, but I think I did a fairly decent job in this draft.  Especially since there are 15 teams in my league.  I especially did well in the later rounds,

Stallworth, Moss, A. Smith, McMicheal and Kevin Johnson were all picked after round 10.  

Zanshin

You did okay.  The fact that you got both Heap and McMichael makes me wonder what the hell the other teams were doing at TE.  And I think your QB position is better than your RB position...especially since RB would be a good wildcard to start.  After Alexander, all you have are serious question marks and part-time players.  You definately should try to trade for a better 2nd RB.  You must have an aversion to RBs.  ;)

Philly_Crew

PSN, Need to know the number of starters, QB, RB, WR.  Also need to see some of the scoring.  You already know QB is weak but I think your RB may be better than you think.  Jones or Pittman will start in TB and Moe Williams is starting in Minn (until Onterrio takes over).

Zanshin

Quote from: Philly_Crew on August 26, 2003, 08:44:53 AM
PSN, Need to know the number of starters, QB, RB, WR.  Also need to see some of the scoring.  You already know QB is weak but I think your RB may be better than you think.  Jones or Pittman will start in TB and Moe Williams is starting in Minn (until Onterrio takes over).

Nah...Tampa will be the quintisential RB by committee, regardless of who walks on the field first.  Stecker and Alstott factor in there, too.  And Moe Williams would be a marginal play even on a RB bye week.

Sgt PSN

1, QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1Def and 3 Wildcards

The scoring has changed this year from the past.  Before it was primarily a QB/RB league and you could win with marginal receivers, te, k, and def.  This year the scoring will allow reveivers and tight ends to make a bigger impact.  We used to only get 1 point for every 50 yds receiving, now we get 1 for every 10 yds and I think that will be very important for me because I've definately got the best receiving corps out of everyone else.  

It's not so much that I have an aversion to runningbacks, although it definately appears that way.  But I was basically forced to take Alexander with my first pick (11th overall) and Brady with my second pick because they were the best available players at their positions when I picked in each round.  

The Jags tried moving Brunnell to the Jets, so I'm kind of concerned whether or not he'll be starting much longer in Jax.  Right now, my fingers are crossed that they can work out a trade with Atlanta and he'll be starting for at least 6 weeks or so.  

My runningbacks I'm really not that concerned with though dispite having Duce, Pittman and Jones who will all be part of a running back by committee.  It would be nice though if I could add another premier back, which I'm sure I'll do via trade.  I'm already in discussion with another guy who drafted very heavy on runningbacks, so I don't think that will be an issue at all.

I've been very successful over the last 2 or 3 years pulling off some big trades and I'm sure that I'll make one or 2 blockbuster deals this year too.  I haven't finished worse than 3d place since I've started playing, so hopefully I can keep the trend going.

I appreciate the honesty and advice though.  This is the first year that we've had 15 people in our league.  Our max has been 10 over the last few years, so everyone basically had superstars up and down the lineup.  That's why I'm kind of concerned about some of my picks, but at the same time it could just be because I'm used to seeing more big names on my roster.  I got killed in the early rounds of the draft, but I think from somewhere around round 6 and beyond, I definately had the best draft.      

Tomahawk

Brunell will probably start the first couple of games and then assumedly begrudgingly hand over the reins to Leftwich. If he hasn't been drafted, pick him up.

With those wild card roster spots, can you put QBs in?  That would be nuts!

I actually like your QBs as I think Boller could have a pretty good year.

If I were you, I'd try to bolster your RB squad.

Philly_Crew

I think I read the Dez White won the #2 with Chicago so it may be beneficial to look at waiver wire.  I disagree about Minn. running backs.  They have one of the better run blocking lines in the league and led the league in rushing last year (total all Minn RB's).  Chapman is out for the start and Moe Williams is the starter.

You may be able to use McMichael as trade bait.  He will be very good, and with 1 pt/10 yards, he should be worth alot in your league.

Good job :yay

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Tomahawk on August 26, 2003, 11:27:52 AM
Brunell will probably start the first couple of games and then assumedly begrudgingly hand over the reins to Leftwich. If he hasn't been drafted, pick him up.

I've already got Brunell genius.   ;)  I'm hoping Boller can be my sleeper pick.....last year I grabbed Maddox as a FA in week 2 before Kordell even got benched.  

I can play anyone I want with the wild card spots....3 extra qb's, 3 defenses...what ever I want.  

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Philly_Crew on August 26, 2003, 11:32:28 AM
I think I read the Dez White won the #2 with Chicago so it may be beneficial to look at waiver wire.  I disagree about Minn. running backs.  They have one of the better run blocking lines in the league and led the league in rushing last year (total all Minn RB's).  Chapman is out for the start and Moe Williams is the starter.

You may be able to use McMichael as trade bait.  He will be very good, and with 1 pt/10 yards, he should be worth alot in your league.

Good job :yay

I hope you're right about Williams.  I've been thinking about McMicheal as trade bait because I think Heap is going to be my guy for the year.  I only need a filler for him for Balt bye week.  

MURP

maybe i missed something, but what is the scoring for the QB's ?

Sgt PSN

Quote from: MURP on August 26, 2003, 11:57:31 AM
maybe i missed something, but what is the scoring for the QB's ?

No, you didn't miss it.  I forgot to put that up there.

250 pass yds=4 pts
every 25 yds over 250=2pt
Pass td=6pts
rush td=5pts
50 rush yds=2pts
every 25 yds over 50=1pt

Tomahawk

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 26, 2003, 11:44:47 AM
Quote from: Tomahawk on August 26, 2003, 11:27:52 AM

I've already got Brunell genius.   ;)  I'm hoping Boller can be my sleeper pick.....last year I grabbed Maddox as a FA in week 2 before Kordell even got benched.  

I can play anyone I want with the wild card spots....3 extra qb's, 3 defenses...what ever I want.  

I meant grab Leftwich, 'tardo.

Sgt PSN

Oh, someone else took him (Leftwhich) somewhere around the 10th round I think.  I know it was rather early in the draft because I was laughing at that pick.  Of course, if he ends up starting and puts up big numbers then I guess that makes it a good pick up.