The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

in philly:

nba finals 01- 37.5
super bowl 05- 56.0
world series 08- 36.3
world seires 09- 41.0

hopefully that first number puts to bed the "flyers are more popular than the sixers" talk that has been thought around here. when the sixers have a good squad and are winning, as you can see, they can draw close to what the phils can do. obviously the differences in tv and media between 01 and now are astounding and its impossible to compare, but its a nice frame of reference.

im sure banner and co. can sleep easy and night, too.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Munson

Yeah, the sixers will draw in more fair weather band wagoners when they're doing good.....but that doesn't make them more popular at all times. As Ed pointed out in the other thread, no one cares about the sixers.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

as has been stated by me ad nauseum the flyers have an incredibly solid stepford base of fans...and they should be commended...but anyone that thinks that there are more flyer fans than sixers is an idiot
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

where is sdeagle when you need him?

Sgt PSN

QB Eagles

Quote from: MDS on November 06, 2009, 02:22:03 AMopefully that first number puts to bed the "flyers are more popular than the sixers" talk that has been thought around here. when the sixers have a good squad and are winning, as you can see, they can draw close to what the phils can do. obviously the differences in tv and media between 01 and now are astounding and its impossible to compare, but its a nice frame of reference.

It's been said a million times but it depends on how you are defining popularity. Last year, when both teams were lower-end playoff teams, more people went to Flyers games throughout the season and postseason, and more people watched the Flyers on TV throughout the season and postseason. The Flyers generated more interest and more money. A larger number of people "care" about the Sixers, but it's a very low level of caring ... not enough to actually watch many games.

There have been times when the Sixers were more popular and that can happen again in the future. The Sixers need more than wins to be more popular, they need a personality, an unquestioned superstar. They were huge in those early Iverson years because of his personality, Brown's personality, and Croce's personality. Hockey is not a personality-driven game like basketball. If both teams have big personalities, the Sixers will draw more passion. Without superstars, a Flyers team will outdraw an equally talented Sixers team in ratings and attendance, whether both are in the bottom of the standings or both are winning the Finals.

MDS

lol this again

if the sixers ever give the public a reason to care again they are about as popular as the phils. the flyers couldnt sniff half of it. next.

ice grillin you

if both teams are in or win the finals the sixers would definitely have bigger tv ratings than the flyers...shtein as the lil guy posted the sixers finals outdrew the phillies last year and would have this year if not for the yankee factor...that is actually amazing to me and no chance the flyers would top those numbers

flyers will always be more popular when the teams suck because of the stepford factor

MDS

yup

i think if 01 finals happened now it would be a little lower, given the changes in media. also the 01 team with iverson and playing LA was a perfect storm of popularity. that team was pure philly and AI was a gawd and we ate it up.

problem with the nba is its gotten more ghetto and the old white doods arent getting on the bandwagon no matter what. in turn the young coloreds arent joining up for lilly white baseball. thing is neilsen ratings pay no attention to the latter demo.

QB Eagles

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 06, 2009, 04:07:22 PMflyers will always be more popular when the teams suck because of the stepford factor

well both teams made the playoffs last year and the flyers were more popular.

so i guess what we're saying is that if the sixers get into the NBA Finals theyll be more popular because they have a bigger potential bandwagon, but the other 95% of the seasons the flyers are more popular

ice grillin you

yeah because the flyers have a set in fanbase that never changes no matter what

not even the eagles have that....they were blacked out as recently as the 90's

The BIGSTUD

I think it depends on the makeup of the team. That 01 Sixers team was so damn likable. This Phillies team might be the most likable in Philly history and we are starting a new era of baseball here in town. The Phillies own the city right now, and the Eagles would have to win the SB to get it back.

The only problem with baseball is that even though everyone is jumping on the bandwagon, it doesn't have the street cred angle that NFL and NBA athletes have.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

Sgt PSN

flyers have more diehards than the sixers.

the sixers have more fans in general than the flyers.

basketball is more popular than hockey. 

next.

Seabiscuit36

sixers have more blacks

Flyers have more haters

Phillies bring the city together

Eagles choke
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons