Random Eagles Information Still Not Worthy of a New Thread

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, March 24, 2011, 11:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk

Quote from: Zanshin on May 22, 2018, 04:49:45 PM
Not a fan of the move without a solid plan in place.

He was good enough, and sometimes borderline great, but he really did miss a lot. Last year seems to have been his best season, but I think every player in the NFL had their best year too.

QB Eagles

Quote from: Don Ho on May 22, 2018, 10:58:36 PM
FA OLBs available:

:puke :puke :puke

Tamba Hali  OLB 34 KC TBD -
Aldon Smith OLB 28 OAK TBD -
Willie Young OLB 32 CHI TBD -
Koa Misi OLB 31 MIA TBD -
Elvis Dumervil OLB 34 SF TBD -
Ahmad Brooks OLB 34 GB TBD -
Connor Barwin OLB 31 LA TBD -
Shea McClellin OLB 28 NE TBD -
Keenan Robinson OLB 28 NYG TBD -
Erik Walden OLB 32 TEN TBD -
Jonathan Casillas OLB 30 NYG TBD -
Arthur Moats OLB 30 PIT TBD -
Dwight Freeney OLB 38 DET TBD -
James Harrison OLB 40 NE TBD 

Oh good, Aldon Smith is available.

General_Failure

With all this space, they can afford Barwin, Freeney, and Harrison. 2008 is gonna be a great season, I can feel it.

The man. The myth. The legend.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Don Ho on May 22, 2018, 10:58:36 PM
FA OLBs available:

:puke :puke :puke

Tamba Hali  OLB 34 KC TBD -
Aldon Smith OLB 28 OAK TBD -
Willie Young OLB 32 CHI TBD -
Koa Misi OLB 31 MIA TBD -
Elvis Dumervil OLB 34 SF TBD -
Ahmad Brooks OLB 34 GB TBD -
Connor Barwin OLB 31 LA TBD -
Shea McClellin OLB 28 NE TBD -
Keenan Robinson OLB 28 NYG TBD -
Erik Walden OLB 32 TEN TBD -
Jonathan Casillas OLB 30 NYG TBD -
Arthur Moats OLB 30 PIT TBD -
Dwight Freeney OLB 38 DET TBD -
James Harrison OLB 40 NE TBD

at least half of those arent even linebackers

it was a beyond stupid move....if you wanna save money at least release him before free agency so you can spend the savings on something....theres literally no reason to release him when the football offseason is essentially over and you are a super bowl contender

yes i realize a back up qb is potentially more important than a rotational linebacker but you refuse to trade foles for a second round pick yet release a good linebacker who has just as much and probably more of a chance of being needed next season...those are completely mixed signals
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

I disagree with the move too, but they only had $150,000 in cap space, which is last in the league. They'll need some flexibility in case they need to add someone. Plus you never know who's going to shake free come June 1st cuts. They're supposedly high on Corey Nelson.

Rome

I didn't realize they were that tight up against the cap. 

And Kendricks was a pouting bitch when he wasn't playing, and the way the Eagles play their LB's, that situation wasn't getting better with Hicks coming back. 

In Howie We Trust. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: AO1 on May 23, 2018, 08:09:23 AM
They'll need some flexibility in case they need to add someone.

yeah like a linebacker

the june first cut thing is a misnomer...you dont have to wait until june first anymore...you cut the player in march and designate it as a june first cut for cap purposes..like i said the offseason is essentially over at least as far as real money is concerened

i suppose a training camp cut in august is possible but you dont need to cut kendricks to get someone then...and anyway why the hell would you cut a good player at a position of need whos been in the system for years on the chance you might want a player in august who couldnt make another teams roster?

phattymatty

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 23, 2018, 08:50:12 AM
Quote from: AO1 on May 23, 2018, 08:09:23 AM
They'll need some flexibility in case they need to add someone.

yeah like a linebacker

the june first cut thing is a misnomer...you dont have to wait until june first anymore...you cut the player in march and designate it as a june first cut for cap purposes..like i said the offseason is essentially over at least as far as real money is concerened

Thanks for the explanation PG Eye Roll it was more of a reference to summer cuts once OTA's and Veterans shake out. Nelson might be alright but this reminds me of a Reid type move where they just throw some special teamer at LB and call it a day. The birds use a lot of 2 LB sets so they don't need a traditional WIL/MIKE/SAM.

My concern is at DT. If Jernigan misses the season - which is a definite possibility - they have old ass Ngata who can take up space as a starter. They can move Bennett/Graham inside on passing downs. Vaeao will probably be fine in the Beau Allen rotation roll but their D was so effective last season because they were able to dominate the interior of the line.

ice grillin you

actually i know who is shaking free on june 1.....no one

QB Eagles

Designating someone as a post June 1st cut in March helps the player find a new landing spot, but doesn't help the team, which still can't spend the associated money until June 2.

I guess the plan was to potentially use him in draft day trades, but other teams didn't want the contract. This was the backup plan, to give them the full $6M in the summer so Howie doesn't have to just stand there with his dick in his hand if a guy they like shakes free.

Money wise this is defensible, the downside is purely at LB, where this seems highly questionable for a thin position group. The timing is weird too. Maybe Kendricks showed up with an attitude or intending not to participate and it was the last straw, or maybe they just preferred to do it when they could talk to him in person.

Rome

I wonder if it occurred to Howie to send Foles to Cleveland for the 35, then use the 1 & 2 to move up to get a LB?   I don't know how far that would have gotten them but mid first would have put them in Tremaine Edmunds & Leighton Vander Esch territory.  Derwin James was there too. 

ice grillin you

SD

Quote from: Rome on May 23, 2018, 12:19:42 PM
I wonder if it occurred to Howie to send Foles to Cleveland for the 35, then use the 1 & 2 to move up to get a LB?   I don't know how far that would have gotten them but mid first would have put them in Tremaine Edmunds & Leighton Vander Esch territory.  Derwin James was there too.

If Foles just had a solid post season and didn't win the SB I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. The guy doesn't deserve to get shipped to Cleveland (unless the Birds were blown away by their offer) after what he did. Plus he's good insurance if Wentz has a setback.

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 23, 2018, 12:25:48 PM
Quote from: QB Eagles on May 23, 2018, 09:54:02 AM
Money wise this is defensible

not really

I agree with QB and he articulated my point better than I did. You can't go into the season with $150,000 in cap space. Cutting Kendricks comes with very little dead cap space. I would have held onto him but money wise I don't now how else they'd clear space. I'm sure Howie exhausted every restructure he could to clear space.

Rome

FTR I wouldn't have done it either.  I was just wondering if Howie thought of it or if Douglas had someone in mind that could have prompted them to make the move.