ice grillin you

thats why i dont watch the nfl anymore

its as bad as ufc now
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

A new study shows that hits to the head, not concussions, cause CTE

QuoteThe researchers in the new study looked at the brains of four teenage athletes who had sustained closed-head impact injuries anywhere from one to 128 days before death and found the results particularly alarming. Two were 18 and two 17; two died by suicide. One died suddenly 10 days after the second of two sports-related head injuries, the fourth succumbed after sustaining three sports-related concussions (26 days, 6 days and the day before death.) The last concussion came during a football game in which the player absorbed a hard tackle and landed on his helmet. Analysis of their brains showed a range of post-traumatic pathology that included one case of early-stage CTE and two cases with abnormal accumulation of tau protein, a CTE marker typically found in small blood vessels in the brain.

"You get hit the first time and a minute later you get hit again. We learned that from blasts because those happen in milliseconds. In football, it happens in minutes, tens of minutes or over a day or week. But the cumulative effect, when the brain is not fully healed, particularly in younger people, is really, really damaging," Goldstein said, "and that's the problem. You won't see it by focusing on concussion. In fact it's guaranteed that you won't see it.

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

Thought this had already been established, but OK. Either way, there is a shelf life on the game of football as we know it. Get your fill now because it won't be long before its current form is done away with.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

It's already dying.  Millions of mothers across the country are shrinking the talent base every year.

"No baby, sorry.  Play basketball or soccer."
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Zanshin

Quote from: rjs246 on January 19, 2018, 12:28:20 PM
Thought this had already been established, but OK. Either way, there is a shelf life on the game of football as we know it. Get your fill now because it won't be long before its current form is done away with.

I don't understand why more people don't grasp this inevitability. If I owned a team, I wouldn't be able to sell it fast enough while the getting is good.

MDS

Quote from: Diomedes on January 19, 2018, 12:45:59 PM
It's already dying.  Millions of well-to-do white mothers across the country are shrinking the talent base every year.

"No baby, sorry.  Play basketball or soccer."
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

Quote from: rjs246 on January 19, 2018, 12:28:20 PM

nope

participation will continue to go down, in some ways it will be dramatic, but there will be always be enough people to fill out high school teams, college teams and nfl teams. will the product suck more? maybe. but it will exist.

and the qb will still continue to get the most Hoyda out of anyone so no shortage of pretty white rich kids will be lining up for that.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Tomahawk

QB Eagles

If repeated sub-concussive head hits are the issue, soccer is going down along with football.

Diomedes

Sure, football will continue in our lives, but it's dying.   Literally every year, less talent is going into football, and more is going into other sports.  And despite what Todd thinks, plenty of poor black mothers are making the same call.  I've spoken to a few about it and heard from they own mouths.

F'n Ed Reed said he won't let his kids play.  Trust me, people hear that kind of thing.

Boxing was once king of all sports.  These things change.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD

Football isn't going anywhere you freaks

ice grillin you

Quote from: Diomedes on January 19, 2018, 03:13:25 PM
Boxing was once king of all sports.  These things change.

so was horse racing

boxing isnt as popular anymore because theres so many more options not because of the physical damage it does and theres more talented boxers now than there has ever been

even today in its diminished popularity there are few sporting events more popular than a huge fight
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

boxing also killed itself by putting big fights on ppv and having its most popular star (tyson) be a legit lunatic and not in a fun way

mexicans love boxing almost as much as soccer

Sgt PSN

Boxing's biggest detriment has probably been the lack of great heavyweights since the Tyson/Holyfield era.  A legit boxing fan will watch lightweights or middleweights or any other weight class, but casual fans are mostly in or out based on the heavies.