TV/Internet/Phone options

Started by Zanshin, February 12, 2008, 03:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

Anyone here have Verizon Fios?  I'm thinking of getting it for TV/Phone/Internet

Right now I have US Cable and Vonage, and I've been having some quality problems with both.  The cost would be abou the same to switch to fiber optic, and the quality looks better...but I was wondering if anyone had any real world experience.

The only real down side looks to be the need for a box on each TV I use, which sucks a little.  That said, it'll be that way for everything soon.

Is there a way to share a box between two TVs to not have the incremental charge on a TV I don't often use?

ice grillin you

if the cost of an extra box on one tv is hitting you that hard perhaps you should go with these thruout the house

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyGirl

I can't wait until FIOS is available here.

I farging hate comcast.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Wingspan

FIOS fiber cable is being laid in my neighborhood now. I'll be going with them pretty much instantaneously.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PoopyfaceMcGee

If you don't live in the Philadelphia market and don't have season tickets for the Eagles, you should have DirecTV. just for the Ticket.

Zanshin

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 12, 2008, 03:17:30 PM
if the cost of an extra box on one tv is hitting you that hard perhaps you should go with these thruout the house

Because it won't work in the basement where I need it, and I won't get the channels I need.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Zanshin on February 12, 2008, 03:11:55 PM
Is there a way to share a box between two TVs to not have the incremental charge on a TV I don't often use?

Try these

I use them with my dish but they should work with cable too.  Basically, I've got a reciever on my living room tv and the cable from the dish runs directly to that.  I got a splice and ran one cable to the receiver and the 2nd cable back to my bedroom tv.  Then I set up one cone near the reciever and one cone in my bedroom.  

Whatever channel is on the reciever out in the living room is the same channel I see on my bedroom tv.  When I go to bed at night I can use the remote and point it at the cone in my bedroom and it will relay the signal out to the cone in the living room which will relay the signal to my reciever and change the channel.  Easy as pie.  No batteries required because the cones will plug into an outlet.  

You can pick them up for about $50 a pair.  

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=2940973&type=product&id=1051384443429

I can't personally vouch for this brand but it looks pretty decent.  You can get them just about anywhere too....Wal Mart, Best Buy, etc.  

Zanshin

Quote from: FastFreddie on February 12, 2008, 03:31:23 PM
If you don't live in the Philadelphia market and don't have season tickets for the Eagles, you should have DirecTV. just for the Ticket.

I have DirectTV and sunday ticket as well.  I only have Sunday Ticket, and I only use the dish on Sundays during the season.  That said, I'm not all that interested in using the dish for everything.

Zanshin

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 12, 2008, 03:32:18 PM
Quote from: Zanshin on February 12, 2008, 03:11:55 PM

Try these

I use them with my dish but they should work with cable too.  Basically, I've got a reciever on my living room tv and the cable from the dish runs directly to that.  I got a splice and ran one cable to the receiver and the 2nd cable back to my bedroom tv.  Then I set up one cone near the reciever and one cone in my bedroom.  

Whatever channel is on the reciever out in the living room is the same channel I see on my bedroom tv.  When I go to bed at night I can use the remote and point it at the cone in my bedroom and it will relay the signal out to the cone in the living room which will relay the signal to my reciever and change the channel.  Easy as pie.  No batteries required because the cones will plug into an outlet.  

You can pick them up for about $50 a pair.  

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=2940973&type=product&id=1051384443429

I can't personally vouch for this brand but it looks pretty decent.  You can get them just about anywhere too....Wal Mart, Best Buy, etc.  

That helps.  Thanks.

ice grillin you

i still will never understand why if you live outside of philly csn philly isnt on the comcast cable sports tier package...but csn balt/dc....chi....ect...all are

other than that and i know im pretty much alone in this i have never had a single problem with comcast
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

I hate Comcast too. I thought when I moved from PA I'd be seeing the last of them. However they have taken over here in Houston, much to my chagrin.

And I can't have DTV because my apartment doesn't face S or SW. farging bullshtein.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Zanshin on February 12, 2008, 03:33:17 PM

I have DirectTV and sunday ticket as well.  I only have Sunday Ticket, and I only use the dish on Sundays during the season.  That said, I'm not all that interested in using the dish for everything.

That would be the most cost-effective solution, though.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Zanshin on February 12, 2008, 03:33:17 PM

I have DirectTV and sunday ticket as well.  I only have Sunday Ticket, and I only use the dish on Sundays during the season.  That said, I'm not all that interested in using the dish for everything.

Why not use the dish?  Is it a preference thing or because you can save a few extra bucks buy bundling everything together (phone/net/cable) by using Verizon/ATT/etc?  

Now that DTV has so many HD channels there really isn't a difference.  The only problem with the dish is that if it's not installed properly(securely) then you'll have a bad signal during inclimate weather......or if it's stuck on a tripod like mine.  But if it's installed right, you'll get reception in just about anything short of a hurricane or tornado.  

mussa

comcast is the worst. i have prob 10 channels that do not work and the sound likes to just stop every now and then just to piss me off. i'm going to go basic cable w/ internet here in a month or two and ditch the extra channels and HD channels. i just don't watch enough tv.

if you need a house phone though i would suggest vonage. its dirt cheap and its got the best features around
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 12, 2008, 03:35:42 PM
i still will never understand why if you live outside of philly csn philly isnt on the comcast cable sports tier package...but csn balt/dc....chi....ect...all are

Are you talking about cable programming or DTV?   DTV has CSN Bodymore but not Philly and I've never understood why.  I've even emailed them several times inquiring about it but never get a response.