Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

I was reading an article the other day where the author espoused the virtues of 1-3.  I'm sorry but no.  Even the scene between Anakin & Obi-Wan on the volcano planet looks ridiculous today and that was the best part of all three movies.  My daughter had it on the other day and was laughing at how "lame" (her word) the CGI was.  And she's right.  All of them are just lame and have aged even worse.   

QB Eagles

People hate Episode I because of all the kid shtein, Jar Jar, and the boring political plot (and don't get me wrong, it's a bad movie), but I found Episode II to be the worst by far. I don't think I've ever checked my watch so often during a movie. The dialogue was infantile even by George Lucas standards. I was rooting for the Dark Side to destroy everything on the screen.

With the franchise in Disney's hands now, I expect nothing but predictable, safe, Star-Wars-by-the-numbers episodes, expertly crafted for mass consumption. Very high floor, but a definite ceiling. I expect the Anthology shtein to have higher highs and lower lows.

smeags

ok, I guess its time for the annual star wars movie ranking.

1a - empire strikes back
1b - rogue one
2- new hope
3- return of the jedi
4- revenge of the sith
5- force awakens
6- clones
7- phantom menace
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

SD

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
R1
SITH
TFA
AOTC
TPM

Rogue one was fantastic but it has low rewatch value imo.

ice grillin you

the rest range from mildly entertaining to unwatchable to never seen before but they are all worthless
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

The movie started 45 minutes late because of projection problems.  Then about 2 hours in they lost sound.  The movie kept running for another 15 minutes without sound.  Then the fat retarded manager came in and announced that they would rewind it back and re-run it.  There was almost a full blown riot so they managed to re-run it with sound about 30 minutes back.

The movie itself was really good.  There's a lot of belly laughs, terrific action and awesome CGI stuff.  Mark Hamill was incredible, though.  Stole the film outright.  Lots of twists and turns and blind alleys to keep you guessing.   IMO it was a bit long and some of the ancillary characters weren't necessary. 

Overall it was very satisfying.  First impression is it wasn't as good as Rogue One but it was better than most of the other films in the series. 

I'll say B+.

Also - Carrie Fisher looked farging awful.  I feel bad for her because she was clearly deathly ill while making the movie. 

SD

On par with online reviews I'm seeing

Most say the first half is pretty meh then it gets good. Something big happens that everyone's wowing about. Glad I didn't read any spoilers. I already know I'm going to be disappointed.

Rome

The moment they're talking about was pretty awesome. 

Adam Driver is a great actor but my daughter hates the character.  She actually called him an emo bitch after the movie when my wife wasn't around. 

She said, why can't Rey just kill that emo bitch?

Warmed my heart, actually. 

smeags

Quote from: AntiRome on December 15, 2017, 07:25:13 AM
She actually called him an emo bitch after the movie when my wife wasn't around. 

so kilo doesn't die, thanks for  that spoiler, you sith blowing fleshpop.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

Quote from: AntiRome on December 15, 2017, 01:23:06 AM
There's a lot of belly laughs, Mark Hamill was incredible, though.

without having seen it i can unequivocally give a big fat NO to both these things

no star wars has ever had a belly laugh for anyone over the age of eight....im not saying this is a terrible thing but even in the good ones the laughs are for kids not comedy for adults....you wanna see those go see the disaster artist...its friggin hilarious

and mark hamill is half a hack who would never steal a movie
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 15, 2017, 08:26:17 AM
Quote from: AntiRome on December 15, 2017, 01:23:06 AM
There's a lot of belly laughs, Mark Hamill was incredible, though.

without having seen it i can unequivocally give a big fat NO to both these things

no star wars has ever had a belly laugh for anyone over the age of eight....im not saying this is a terrible thing but even in the good ones the laughs are for kids not comedy for adults....you wanna see those go see the disaster artist...its friggin hilarious

and mark hamill is half a hack who would never steal a movie

I agree no SW movie has ever been a 'belly of laughs'. But the Solo one liners in the originals were good adult comedy. He does subtle things like rolling his eyes and flipping his fingers up that are genuine and resonate with adults more than they would with children. His cockiness with Leia, interactions with Chewie, treating Luke like his little brother, catching up with Lando, and disdain for the droids are comedic. I never saw the need for 'comic relief' in SW movies. A joke here and there is one thing but from the prequels on they're all forced. The originals had funny moments because they were worked in with the plot, not forced in to make the movie more fun. Rogue one did a decent job of at least trying to limit the forced jokes. Of course this is just my opinion and observation from growing up with the movies.

Rome

Rome

Quote from: smeags on December 15, 2017, 07:52:55 AM
Quote from: AntiRome on December 15, 2017, 07:25:13 AM
She actually called him an emo bitch after the movie when my wife wasn't around. 

so kilo doesn't die, thanks for  that spoiler, you sith blowing fleshpop.

No one ever really dies. 

Remember I said that, jackhole.

General_Failure

Guffaws as far as the eye can see!

The man. The myth. The legend.

SD

Quote from: General_Failure on December 15, 2017, 08:52:50 AM
Guffaws as far as the eye can see!

Propps on the 80's Flyers reference

Too much info Rome, I'm staying out of this thread until I see the movie.