The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Not sure it seems lateral as one shift a week and filling in.

He was an ok host.

ice grillin you

he isnt terrible just terribly boring...maybe he has a promise of more on air time down the road...i guess he could be a really good producer too and they offered more money
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah he was kinda boring...but better than some of the fill ins they'd use.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 28, 2013, 07:37:24 PM
Yeah he was kinda boring...but better than some of the fill ins they'd use.

i dont really hear a lot of the fill ins cause i only listen at work for the most part

ice grillin you

not sure if anyone saw this yesterday on espn but its fantastic.....just have a hanky handy

http://t.co/0j618jfVZA

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah I read the article but haven't seen the video yet. Awesome story

PhillyPhreak54

Olbermann is going back to ESPN.

Reportedly a two year deal that gives him a nightly one hour show on espn2.

ESPN doing this to help the sure to be surge of FS1 stealing ESPN viewers.

MDS

nothing will get the young eye balls quite like a 60 year old man who was last relevant in the sports world 15 years ago
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 16, 2013, 11:26:05 PM
Olbermann is going back to ESPN.

Reportedly a two year deal that gives him a nightly one hour show on espn2.

ESPN doing this to help the sure to be surge of FS1 stealing ESPN viewers.

fox sports (like fox news) going for the blondes....espn going for the brains

QB Eagles

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 17, 2013, 07:10:28 AM
espn going for the brains

I might believe this to be the case if they said his show was replacing First Take.

ice grillin you

first take is money....dirty filthy money....but if you dont take it seriously its quite entertaining

MDS

espn has been dumbing down its shows for years.

sure they have stuff like otl, 30x30 to offset it, but what their research has told them is no one wants to see hilites anymore. so to fill the time between games they go for very loud, very colorful controversy. tim tebow, lebron james, johnny manziel, whatever. pick an issue, pick a person, pick a side and yell about it.

the embrace debate, have an opinion culture of the network is evident everywhere. the late sportscenter (the only one i watch) is still pretty good because they really only have to go over and show what happened that day. the rest of the network outside of game coverage and a few choice programs is lowest common denominator trash. they know the type of person who is at home at 11am on a thursday and they go for that dude.

fs1 will not be the intellectual happy hour. its fox. it looks like theyre going to make a conscious effort to not be loud and argumentative like espn. based on early ads it looks like theyre going more for fun and entertainment....whatever the farg that is. like jokes and skits and goofing around with jocks. yeah its lame.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

the only thing thats really dumbed down is sportscenter and thats because its on 24/7 now....they oversatured the network with it and it hurt its quality

everything else on espn is mostly great....obviously with four networks or whatever they have some of it going to be garbage but you can say that about any single network station as well.....espn hits waaaaaaay more than it misses

Sgt PSN

Things I watch on ESPN:

Live sporting events, press conferences, etc (sans The Decision)
The Sports Reporters
OTL
30 For 30
IX For Nine (completely unoriginal name, but whatever.  It's still pretty good shtein)
Classic rebroadcasts

Will sometimes watch:

SportsCenter
PTI

Avoid like the plague:

First Take
Dan Lebetard
Around The Horn
Any other program not already mentioned

Geowhizzer

Things I watch on ESPN:

1.  Actual games (where there's no other option).

Things I avoid:

Everything else.

Probably helps that I have two children that encroach on TV time, but I haven't watched any "original" ESPN programming in at least three years.