The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

why do you want to watch it...its the worst broadcast in the world

and its clearly a contract issue between them and ei. and again you could have given me 60 bucks and gotten mlbtv but NOOOOOOO someone is being a stubborn gus
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

I think it's funny that DirecTV keeps advertising their EI package and making the claim that you can watch the home/away feed for every game, when that's obviously not the case.  Next time I see that commercial, I'll have to check the fine print to see if they say anything about CSN Philly not being included. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 10, 2013, 09:52:27 PM
Again no CSN Philly.

This annoys me.

why?

you should be sending EI extra money for not having the worst booth of all time on tv that much
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

PhillyPhreak54

Like I said I choose the visiting feeds most of the time. The only time I go home team is when they're playing Florida or Washington. However when other teams feeds aren't available then I'm farged. I missed most of the Pirates series because of this.

And the annoyance also comes from these satellite and cable companies being dickheads. Corporations can farg themselves.

ice grillin you

Perhaps it was the wildy popular John Clayton TV commercial, or the fact that Adam Schefter has more than 2.2 million followers on Twitter, but ESPN has decided to give its NFL information gurus their own show.

ESPN will announce today that NFL Insiders will make its debut on Aug. 5. The one-hour daily show will be hosted by Suzy Kolber.

Schefter and Chris Mortensen will be the main players with aid from Clayton, Ed Werder, Bill Polian, and other contributors such as former GMs Phil Savage and Billy Devaney.

It won't feature former players or coaches.

"We have one rule: If you played in the league, you're not going to be on the show," said producer Seth Markman.

Indeed, ESPN figures there are plenty of Xs and Os shows on the various networks. It wants a program strictly dedicated to information about the NFL. Who is doing what and why?

"I think the time has come for this kind of show," Markman said. "It's going to be different from anything else currently on TV. The thirst for information about the NFL is at an all-time high. If I walk down the street with Adam or Mort, people come up to them all the time. They ask, 'Where is this free agent going? Who is this team going to draft?'

"It balances our schedule to have a show like this. I think the audience will be there."

Markman said ESPN's NFL insiders won't sit on scoops so they can break them on the show. They still will be posted and tweeted immediately. However, he said he doesn't expect them to stop reporting while the show is being aired.

"These guys never stop working," Markman said. "A great scenario for us would be if they could break stories during the show. They could hold up their iPhones and say, 'I just got this.'"

SD

That's a great idea for a show. A lot of people like myself are more interested in stuff like this in the offseason. It would have been smart to start the show a few weeks before free agency. I don't watch espn but I'd consider giving this a try. Schefter is the best source for breaking nfl news.

ice grillin you

an hour seems excessive....most days their "inside info" wont fill a half hour

but ill definitely give it a try

SD

I missed the hour part, that is way too excessive. An hour show prior to the beginning of and during free agency and the draft would have worked but now that that's all over 30 minutes is more than enough time.

ice grillin you

ESPN is laying off a portion of its staff today, a network spokesman confirms to us. How many? ESPN won't say. A tipster told us earlier today that it would be more than 400 staffers. A source at ESPN said that number is a little high, but it appears to be in the hundreds.

Here's the statement from ESPN:

We are implementing changes across the company to enhance our continued growth while smartly managing costs. While difficult, we are confident that it will make us more competitive, innovative and productive.

So where in the world did this come from? ESPN is monstrously profitable and we hadn't heard a word about this until this morning. Well, ESPN has been gobbling up live rights to events left and right, and those rights are really expensive. We've heard they needed to reduce costs as a result. Also: ESPN's parent company Disney is apparently asking all divisions to cut costs.

This is ESPN's first major staff reduction since 2009.

We heard the technology group is getting hit pretty hard: at least 40 layoffs are coming there. A source told us that some employees who get a pink slip today can continue working through the end of the week if they'd like. ESPN has 7,000 employees.

UPDATE, 11:54 a.m.: A laid-off ESPN employee writes us:

I was laid off from ESPN today after 9 and a half years. Completely out of the blue, no warning at all. I was told it was 10% across the board, which would be roughly 400. I was told the reason was they needed to make their profit margin and they chose to do that via layoff of staff.

UPDATE, 12:10 p.m.: More from the laid-off staffer:

btw.....we were told that the layoffs ARE tied to the profit margin that ESPN needs to meet and the fact they haven't met that number. Your comments about them buying all of these live rights and now needed to reduce overhead costs is dead on.

Additionally, this staffer got the following:
gets to keep key cards and access until Friday
will continue to get paid through the end of July
a severance package, which appears to be 2 weeks for every year worked

UPDATE, 12:20 p.m.: A reader writes that ESPN's "Denver Office in the Denver Tech Center was shut down yesterday. All 20 staff members were let go." A second source told us the same thing about the Denver office.

UPDATE, 12:25 p.m.: Those Guys Have All The Fun co-author Jim Miller hears that the number of layoffs is between 300 and 400.

hbionic

:CF prayer for Feva?

...and we pray  :evil
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

MDS

republican greed strikes again

espn spends gobbles of money and buys up the rights to eons of leagues. needs to continue making 500 million dollar profit. now only projected to make 450. what to do? hey, lets fire people so we get the 50 mil back

humanity is disgusting
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Munson

Because the better the profit margin is, the bigger the bonus the CEO and board members will get.

Can't have them making a few hundred K less this year, that would be preposterous.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Rome

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MDS on May 21, 2013, 01:24:11 PM
republican greed strikes again

espn spends gobbles of money and buys up the rights to eons of leagues. needs to continue making 500 million dollar profit. now only projected to make 450. what to do? hey, lets fire people so we get the 50 mil back

humanity is disgusting

Yep.

Awful