The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

for some reason, even though they are moving to comcast soon, the astros get the prime fssw spot in the valley.

the rangers are bumped to fssw+ which doesnt have an hd channel
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

QuoteNBC and Fox have dynamic Week One NFL ratings, ESPN down

Week One of the NFL season is in the books, and NBC and Fox executives must be thrilled with their ratings. CBS and ESPN execs on the other hand are probably a little disappointed.

NBC's Steelers-Broncos game on Sunday Night Football picked up an 18.0 overnight rating, the highest overnight ever for the network. The previous high was a 17.7, which was drawn by the Vikings-Saints season opener in 2010. That game was a rematch of the NFC Title game just seven months earlier. The game was also the highest rated NFL primetime game since a Broncos-49ers game in December 1997.

Things are also well over on Fox, where the afternoon national window headlined by a 49ers-Packers matchup drew a 17.2 overnight. This isn't the best mark all-time for Fox, but it *is* their best Week One rating of all-time.

However, CBS and ESPN both saw declines in ratings. CBS's decline was minimal, a drop of 2% from last year to a 10.4 overnight in their 1 PM timeslot. ESPN's early Monday Night Football game between the Ravens and Bengals drew a 10.9 overnight, which was down 36% from the 2011 opener of Patriots-Dolphins, and 39% from 2010's Ravens-Jets opener. The early game was still the most watched show on cable, and the second most watched show on all of TV on Monday, behind The Voice on NBC. The late game between the Chargers and Raiders drew a respectable 10.4 overnight, down just 6% from last year's Raiders-Broncos matchup.

What do these ratings tell us? The early Monday night game didn't have a huge market like Boston or New York to pull from like in the prior two years and developed into a blowout, and ratings took a hit as a result. Peyton Manning's return drew the casual fan into the Sunday night game, and despite the lack of Tim Tebow, Denver area fans turned in to watch their team in droves. Also, the casual fan was attracted to the 49ers-Packers matchup, a battle between two of the top NFC teams that delivered on excitement in spades. Given CBS was televising tennis, it was an opportunity for Fox to cater to an America hungry for the NFL to return.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Stephen A is defending himself against this "despicable" article on theonion.

Can't even make this shtein up... "I don't even have a 9-year-old son."

EDIT: Now deadspin has picked up on it: http://t.co/mBk68pUR

ice grillin you

NFL Said to Have Deal With Time Warner for NFL Network, RedZone
By Scott Soshnick - Sep 21, 2012 10:40 AM ET

The National Football League reached agreement with Time Warner (TWC) Cable Inc. to carry the league-owned NFL Network and RedZone Channel, a person with direct knowledge of the situation said.

The multiyear accord may be announced later today, according to the person, who was granted anonymity because the contract hasn't been signed. New York-based Time Warner, the second-largest U.S. cable company with about 12 million subscribers, had been the only major cable provider without the NFL Network. It isn't known when the channels will appear on Time Warner systems, the person said.

The agreement comes about a month after the most-watched U.S. sports league reached agreement with Cablevision Systems Inc. to carry the two channels.

NFL Network airs 13 primetime regular-season games. RedZone is a game-day network that shows touchdowns and important plays inside the 20-yard line. NFL Network will carry the Cleveland Browns at the Baltimore Ravens on Sept. 27.

Time Warner spokeswoman Maureen Huff declined to comment. NFL spokesmen Brian McCarthy and Dan Masonson didn't immediately return e-mails and phone calls seeking comment on whether an agreement had been reached.

PoopyfaceMcGee

In related news, I might switch to cable before next season.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444180004578016652376246198.html?mod=WSJ_Sports_threeup

Announcer ratings by the WSJ. Phils duo of TMac and Wheels are ranked 9th most biased. Hawk Harrelson and Steve Stone are the top crew (duh) and the Nats and Marlins iceholes are ahead of Phils.

Mets and Vin Scully are the least.

ice grillin you

yeah i read that yesterday...seems like their criteria is how many times they say 'we' when referring to the home team

steve stone is awesome and not  biased at all....in fact he got fired by the cubs for being to critical....he gets unfairly lumped in with hawk

also hawk is a huge homer but he does it in an endearing way

Geowhizzer

If my endearing you mean annoying as hell, I'm inclined to agree with you.

The whole "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD... YES!" schtick is played out.

MDS

best news from the new mlb tv deal:

the blackouts have been lifted. as of 2014, when fox doesnt give you a game you want you can now watch it on EI or mlbtv. hip hip hoofargingray.

PhillyPhreak54

Amen.

30 for 30 new season tonight...

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

phattymatty

the comparison to LA is dumb but DC actually is a zesty sports town.

ice grillin you

Veteran reporter Andrea Kremer has joined NFL Network full-time.  Kremer has been synonymous with the NFL for her work with ESPN and most recently as a sideline reporter for NBC's Sunday Night Football.  In 2011, she left the SNF sidelines replaced by Michele Tafoya and had been serving as a correspondent for HBO's Real Sports.  Kremer will focus on player safety issues and report on other major stories as announced by NFL Net.