The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

so let me get this straight:  a pathetic excuse for human life who spends his time calling sports radio shows was hung up on by a still sadder human shteinstain who "makes" his living talking to these people...and along comes you to tell us all about it on our fan messageboard?

I hate people
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Brian Startare did that once on WIP.

Eagles were playing the Seahawks one week and a caller asks about a guy on their team. Startare goes on a huge rant about fake callers and names and hangs up on the guy....except the guy was right and Startare never admitted he was wrong

ice grillin you

Just this morning, the other shoe dropped and ESPN officially cut ties with the man known as Bocephus with this statement today:

"We have decided to part ways with Hank Williams, Jr. We appreciate his contributions over the past years.  The success of Monday Night Football has always been about the games and that will continue."

Diomedes

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 06, 2011, 09:42:57 AM
sports is life

nope.  it's a corporate produced entertainment product

like a sit com
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Sgt PSN

MDS

yankees game 5 on a thursday--9.7 mil
phillies game 5 on a friday--8.3 mil

highest rated mlb game on cable not involving the yankees, sox or mcgwire
nearly 30% of philly watching

farg em all
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Don Ho

The Dotted Line is on ESPN now.  The ESPN film about agents.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

SD

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20111023_Player_whining_insults_fans.html

QuoteI'm constantly amused by the perception pro athletes have of the fan's role. Most jocks want and need unmitigated love from their fans without regard to their own responsibilities. To that end, they refuse to acknowledge the hard truth that sports, just like a movie or a Broadway show or an opera, is paid entertainment.

All right, sports is a little different. We live day-to-day with these guys, and have a much more personal stake in the outcome of an event. But ultimately, what fans pay for is performance. And if we don't get that performance, it is not our primary job to urge it from players who already are being paid to give it. Do players really not get the financial and emotional commitment fans already have expended?

In Rollins' world, if the fans were not so quiet during Game 2 at Citizens Bank Park, the Phillies may have come back to beat the Cardinals. But Rollins doesn't consider that the crowd was jacked until Cliff Lee (who, by the way, will make $25 million next year because of, in no small part, wonderful ticket sales) shockingly gave up a 4-0 lead. Fans were stunned silent by that development.

Summoning phony - "Don't worry about it, boys, we'll get 'em" - excitement is simply not to be expected of fans in the Northeast Corridor, and especially not in Philadelphia. Hey, fellas, after losing a 4-0 lead with a stud on the mound, how about you give us something to cheer about?

Kelce and Mathis have been here about half an hour, and they lecture on the way Eagles fans should act? The Eagles haven't won an NFL championship since 1960, and 12 years have gone by in the Andy Reid regime without a title. Within that dirty dozen, the Birds have lost three NFC title games as the favorite. And this year, with the front office chirping that it was "all-in" after a free-agent spending spree that prompted one backup quarterback to call them the Dream Team, they got off to a 1-4 start mainly because of coaching misjudgment and player error. And a man can't hold up a sign to express his displeasure?

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20111023_Player_whining_insults_fans.html#ixzz1bcEovos5
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

PhillyPhreak54

I missed The Real Rocky on ESPN tonight...hopefully it will be on again soon.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 25, 2011, 10:19:45 PM
I missed The Real Rocky on ESPN tonight...hopefully it will be on again soon.

Damn, I forgot to program my dvr to record it.  I just did a search on directv for future broadcasts and there aren't any right now. 

Also, I finally got around to watching the Bartman story about a week ago....been sitting in my dvr for a while now.  Overall it was really good but did they really need to devote about 25 minutes to the BoSox?  Hell, they spent the first 17 minutes talking about Bill Buckner before they even got to Bartman.  Then another 7 or 8 minutes again towards the end.

Everything in between was really good though.  I had no idea that one of the security guards ended up taking him to her house to hide out after the game.  I've always felt bad for the guy but even more so after seeing how he was treated in the stadium by the fans around him.  It's also pretty farged up that his friends basically ditched him too.   

ice grillin you

espn classic will show it approximately 400 times over the next two years

that channel has basically become a 30 for 30 loop since espn began running them

SunMo

i only know the broad strokes of the story, but i caught the part when they showed the fight footage with Ali and the knockdown.  Ali claimed that Wepner stepped on his foot and Wepner denied it.  Then they showed a black and white picture of Wepner stepping on his foot lol.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.