The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

PhillyPhreak54

The latest 30 for 30 was pretty good.

June 17, 1994

Focused on the OJ slow speed pursuit intermixed with the other shtein going on that day (Rockets/Knicks, Stanley Cup parade, Arnold Palmer, Griffey Jr. and the World Cup).

PhillyPhreak54

Almost forgot the OJ joke they aired from the off-air Royals/Mariners broadcast....since the US Open was going on one of the announcers says something like

"Did you hear OJ's score at the US Open?"

"2 under"

MDS

yea that was terrific

these 30 for 30s have been sensational. the one next week about pablo and andres escobar is supposed to be the best one yet.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: KDS on June 17, 2010, 01:13:09 PM
these 30 for 30s have been sensational. 

not really....a few have been great and the rest have ranged from boring to awful

the ice cube and fantasy baseball johnsons were outright embarrassing
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

btw the escobar doc has been in my dvr bin for at least a week...im guessing my guide messed up and if i actually play it it wont be that one

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 17, 2010, 01:20:58 PM
Quote from: KDS on June 17, 2010, 01:13:09 PM
these 30 for 30s have been sensational. 

not really....a few have been great and the rest have ranged from boring to awful

the ice cube and fantasy baseball johnsons were outright embarrassing

ice cube one was pedestrian as expected, but still fun.

i loved the fantasy baseball one. these have been great and your taste is once again proven to be as awful as your fantasy sports skills
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

kings ransom....D+
the band that wouldnt die....C
usfl....B+
muhammed and larry....A+
without bias.....B
jimmy the greek....A
the u....A+
reggie miller....A-
guru of go....D
iverson....D
run ricky run.....F
16th man.....C
straight outta LA....F
sillt little game.....F

havent seen june 17th but it sounds like a winner

avg grade thus far D+

MDS

kings ransom....C
the band that wouldnt die....B+
usfl....B
muhammed and larry....n/a
without bias.....A
jimmy the greek....B+
the u....A+
reggie miller....A-
guru of go....B
iverson....B+
run ricky run.....B
16th man.....B
straight outta LA....C-
sillt little game.....A-
june 17th, 1994....A

SunMo

i started the reggie milller one on demand but when i back to finish it, it was gone.  i liked what i had seen so far
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

I'm going to buy the whole set. I've missed quite a few but all of the ones that I have seen have been great. I have the Ice Cube one and the Reggie Miller one in the DVR bin.

ANd I have to watch them because I'm blowing Comcast up in four days.

MDS

shut up

didnt you distinctly hear igy tell you they were awful

QB Eagles

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 10, 2010, 11:24:31 PM
Rick Reilly is horrible.

after last week's hagiographic wooden article, this week's article is about how the vuvuzelas are annoying. you can always count on reilly for the fresh, original viewpoint.

PhillyPhreak54

Another enjoyable 30 for 30. Straight Outta LA was nice. I totally forgot about the bans on wearing Raider gear in the 80s-90s in school because of the supposed gang affiliations.

Al Davis looks awful.

PhillyPhreak54

I just finished watching The Two Escobars 30-for-30 and it was outstanding.

Two hours of awesome television. I was 14 years old when all of that happened and I vaguely remember the Pablo Escobar drama but recall none of the Columbian soccer team stuff. The only thing I remembered about them was Carlos Valderrama and his wacky ass afro.

I remember the US team for Tony Meola and remember when the Jets signed him to try and kick for them.

The story the filmmakers told about how the Colombian drug trade was intertwined with the soccer was great. You're robbing yourself if you don't watch that episode.

On a side note, every time they mentioned Pablo Escobar all I could think of was Lurie's infamous quote:

"How would they like it if Minnie Mouse was portrayed as [drug kingpin] Pablo Escobar and the Magic Kingdom as a drug cartel?"