Boxing World continued..

Started by MURP, November 04, 2004, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillymic2000

This fight is very interesting. Grant who has been a disaster in his title fights, gets a fight with Adamek?? I know they are sizing up for a fight with the Klit bros. and Grants chin can be suspect, but this surprised me a little.

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/qa-eddie-mustafa-muhammad-48326#more-48326

phattymatty

i'm actually looking forward to the foreman-cotto fight this weekend.  i thought cotto might be the best of the entire weight class like two years, before getting his brains mushed my margaritos concrete hands and then losing to manny.

phillymic2000

that is going to be a very good fight, it will be cool to see it outside at yankee stadium.

DH

What Margarito did to Cotto's career was a travesty. He was on the fast track to stardom - probably would have had a fight with Money - and all that was washed away with stone hands.

Granted, regardless of whether or not he would have beat Margarito had no bearing on his fight with Pacman, but to only have that one loss on his record would have looked much stronger than how it looks now. Think about it - if he had only lost to Manny, I'm sure Floyd would be trying to fight him instead of the posturing he is doing with Manny now.

Instead Cotto has to fight a guy who few people who arent legit boxing fans know about in a match that honestly, would not receive half the press if it were not taking place in Yankee Stadium.

I think Cotto wins a UD but I'm pulling for Yuri..

phattymatty

cotto looked pretty good last night...fast as shtein.  fight wasn't crazy exciting but a few good hits landed.  foreman's knees were just buckling...not sure i believe it was that bad.

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: phattymatty on June 06, 2010, 12:57:01 PM
cotto looked pretty good last night...fast as shtein.  fight wasn't crazy exciting but a few good hits landed.  foreman's knees were just buckling...not sure i believe it was that bad.

Man that was no act, I wouldn't be shocked if it is a pretty severe. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

DH

Mecantes handling of the whole fight was abominable..there was no good reason why he didnt call it after the second buckling, and then the towel incident was just bizaro..Who the farg cares who threw it - the guys knee was jello. At that point youre risking seriously hurting his career by continuing it even further..and telling him to walk it off was just ridiculous. And for the record, that knockdown was not caused by the shot to the body..it staggered Yuri, but his knee buckled again and boom went the dynamite.  

But Cotto looked good, even though I thought he should have. He's in an different class than my Hebrew brother.  

phattymatty

i was at a loud ass bar.  and stupid drunk.  but it was looking cartoony to me.  if that was real than yeah there's no way he should have been out there that long.  and since when can a boxer overrule his corner if he wants to keep fighting? looked to me like the mercante asked him something, foreman didn't answer anything at all, then he said he could keep going.  but yeah cotto is back in form.

DH

Torn ligaments for Yuri...Surgery planned

I really can't believe Mercante is not being held accountable at some level for this.

ice grillin you

Quote from: phattymatty on June 07, 2010, 10:55:53 AM
and since when can a boxer overrule his corner if he wants to keep fighting? 

didnt his wife actually throw the towel

and his corner wanted the fight to go on
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

phattymatty

nope was definitely a dude, not sure if it was his trainer or what though.  two guys were kinda whispering to each other (i assumed his trainer and doctor) and then one guy threw it.

and yeah i think mercante was trying to make himself a little too much of the story during that fight by getting everyone out of the ring and restarting.  like i said, foreman's knees looked like a cartoon to me, which is why i kinda didn't really believe it. 

i've always liked cotto but how cool was he throughout the whole shenanigans? never bitched...just went out and started beating him some more.

phattymatty

so yeah i looked into the rules and in NY the trainer can not stop the fight, only the referee or doctor.

phillymic2000

They said that during the fight. It was strange the way it went down. Cotto was to good for him, bum leg or not.

MURP

record during ultimate fighter...

tonight Andre Ward vs Allan Green on Showtime  10pm

phillymic2000

Andre Ward just dominated and broke down Green. I was so impressed.