Boxing World continued..

Started by MURP, November 04, 2004, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reese125

just saw this the other night as well...solid documentary

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: phillymic2000 on August 28, 2009, 09:13:48 PM
I watched the Diaz vs. Malignaggi fight last night and it was EVERYTHING wrong with boxing. A gig Booooooooo to Golden Boy for promoting a joke. the ring was smaller then usual, all but one of the judges were local, the ref only warned Paulie during the fight. Paulie out boxed and frustrated the baby bull Diaz all fargin night. One judge called it 118-110. As much as his rant will probably hurt Paulie in future fights, it needed to be said. What a fargin joke!!

That was the best shtein I ever heard a boxer say.  I am not a fan of his by any stretch of the imagination, but he should have won that fight.  If Diaz would have won by a small margin you could understand, but the closest score was 3 points. 

As far as Assault in the Ring if you haven't seen it check it out, unreal.   Its a little off topic but they have another documentary right now call "Breaking the Huddle" it is about desegregation of southern college football, also amazing. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Don Ho

We had our first "big" fight in Hawaii in over 25 years on Saturday night.  Brian Viloria vs. Jesus Iribe.  IBF Light Flyweight Championship.  Granted not the greatest card but only 3100 tickets distributed for an 8500 seat venue.  We used to always sell out the arena for fights when I was a kid.  Seemed like there was descent card every month. On the flip side as it is across the country, MMA consistently sells out.  My 87 year old father could fight my 2 year old nephew in an MAA event and it would sell out. 

It's all BJ Penn's fault!
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

phillymic2000

Just watched Assault in the Ring, holy crap what a great documentary. They really uncovered all the issues, except that scumbag Panama Jones. He is probably the main criminal, yet he can continue to make money and a life in the sport. Well done.

PhillyPhreak54

Agreed...great story. I watched it earlier in the week.

Can Panama rock any more jewelry?

And does any other sport have more hangers-on than boxing? All the people kissing Panama's ass during the Judah fight were terrible.

ANd what was up with dude in the fur coat?

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

phillymic2000

You could see mayweather was the bigger/better fighter in the first minute. Whoever might have thought this would have been a close fight, is smokin crack.

Feva

Pretty much as expected... Floyd won an easy decision over Marquez, knocking him down in the 2nd and hitting him at will all night.  Everybody knows it's physically impossible to knock out a mexican, but if you could... Floyd would have.

Lifestyle, Flashy...
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Sgt PSN

Quote from: EagleFeva on September 20, 2009, 12:37:01 AM
Everybody knows it's physically impossible to knock out a mexican

too bad the same rules don't apply to knocking them up. 

phillymic2000

Quote from: EagleFeva on September 20, 2009, 12:37:01 AM
Pretty much as expected... Floyd won an easy decision over Marquez, knocking him down in the 2nd and hitting him at will all night.  Everybody knows it's physically impossible to knock out a mexican, but if you could... Floyd would have.

Lifestyle, Flashy...

Floyd needs to face Pac Man, i know there is still a 6 to 10 lb. difference, but if Floyd is legit and shows up at the weigh in at a catch weight of around 142. it could be a hell of a fight. Pac is insane, and floyd showed his sugar ray robinson side with his defensive skills in this past fight.

In other fight news, Vitali is stepping up to fight an up and coming young heavy Chris Arreola (on HBO 9/26), this fight should be entertaining if Chris can get on the inside and bang. If Vitali can keep him outside and pick him apart it will be an easy night. BUT Arreola has shown he can bang, and the Klit bros. have shown weaker chins in their career. Arreola has been pounding his opponets lately with McCline going out in 4 rds last (Wlad ko'd him in 10 in 2002).

In the undercard Cedric Boswell (30-1) will face a unknown  6′7 Russian Alexander Ustinov (17-0), Boswell has been impressive against unknowns since his 10th rd. ko to McCline in 2003, with his biggest win  ::) being against Clif Couser. Anywho it should be a good night for some possible exciting ko's!

Drunkmasterflex

The heavyweight division is an absolute travesty.  Ricardo Mayorga now wants to get into MMA. 

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

phillymic2000

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on September 21, 2009, 07:17:55 PM
The heavyweight division is an absolute travesty.  Ricardo Mayorga now wants to get into MMA. 

LOL, that guy might do ok, he can't last after a few rounds anyway.

The heavy's are bad, but there are some up and coming young guns that may pan out.

Drunkmasterflex

Arreola looks decent only his conditioning is absolutely piss poor.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on September 21, 2009, 07:17:55 PM
The heavyweight division is an absolute travesty.

it has been for quite a few years now.  i don't follow boxing as close as other sports, but i can't really think of the last time there's been a deep pool of heavyweights.  pre-douglas tyson is probably the last truly great heavyweight to step in the ring.  and even then, there wasn't really any serious competition for him.  most of the other heavyweights since then like lewis or holyfield have been pretty damn good fighters but none of them will go down as an all time great. 

the heavyweights had appeal because of their power and knockout ability.  but years and years of mostly mediocre heavyweight fights, especially title fights, has turned a lot of people away from it.  i'd much rather watch a middleweight-type fight between 2 guys who are not only quick, agile and technically sound fighters, but there are a few guys out there who will knock people the farg out. 

i could watch guys like pacquiao, mayweather, roy jones jr or a younger de la hoya all day long. 

ice grillin you

rjj and bhop....should be amazing but i cant feel anything but sorrow about it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous