Boxing World continued..

Started by MURP, November 04, 2004, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: phillymic2000 on September 29, 2005, 10:54:36 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on September 29, 2005, 08:08:31 AM
Quote from: MURP on September 28, 2005, 09:11:06 PM
there have been some great fights over the last few years, just not in the heavyweight division. 

Agreed, but heavyweight bouts are what put the sport on the map. They're still the biggest draws and the biggest money-makers and we haven't seen a decent title bout in years.

What? the John Ruiz / Andrew Golota fight was everything a fan could want  :puke On a good note though, Brewster beat Luan last night via a 9th round TKO, that was a very good test for Brewster. Wlad got by the Nigerian Nightmare by holding like a dance partner. So that lines up a rematch with Brewster for the younger Klit bro. Larry "the legend" :-D Donald fights Nicoli Valeuv (sp ???) the "beast from the east" 7 ft 1 inch 320 pounds undefeated (protected fighter) prospect this weekend in an eliminator bout to face John Suckuiz for his belt. Big Bro klit is fighting I think in November against Rahman. James Toney fights an interesting fight against the "southern Disaster" Dominick Guinn, and on that undercard the last and sometimes forgotten chump, I mean champ Chris Byrd fights Darvyll Williams, if both Byrd and Toney win, look for that fight to come off in the new year. So exciting ehhh maybe not, but at least there is some fights going off in the near future in the Heavy's.

So you obviously agreed with Letterman, I thought Wlad fought really well.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

phillymic2000

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on October 01, 2005, 12:23:50 PM
Quote from: phillymic2000 on September 29, 2005, 10:54:36 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on September 29, 2005, 08:08:31 AM
Quote from: MURP on September 28, 2005, 09:11:06 PM
there have been some great fights over the last few years, just not in the heavyweight division. 

Agreed, but heavyweight bouts are what put the sport on the map. They're still the biggest draws and the biggest money-makers and we haven't seen a decent title bout in years.

What? the John Ruiz / Andrew Golota fight was everything a fan could want  :puke On a good note though, Brewster beat Luan last night via a 9th round TKO, that was a very good test for Brewster. Wlad got by the Nigerian Nightmare by holding like a dance partner. So that lines up a rematch with Brewster for the younger Klit bro. Larry "the legend" :-D Donald fights Nicoli Valeuv (sp ???) the "beast from the east" 7 ft 1 inch 320 pounds undefeated (protected fighter) prospect this weekend in an eliminator bout to face John Suckuiz for his belt. Big Bro klit is fighting I think in November against Rahman. James Toney fights an interesting fight against the "southern Disaster" Dominick Guinn, and on that undercard the last and sometimes forgotten chump, I mean champ Chris Byrd fights Darvyll Williams, if both Byrd and Toney win, look for that fight to come off in the new year. So exciting ehhh maybe not, but at least there is some fights going off in the near future in the Heavy's.

So you obviously agreed with Letterman, I thought Wlad fought really well.

He did fight well, good game plan outside of the constant and excessive holding. He used his jab well, and peppered the nigerian with it.

SD_Eagle5

Tarver beats Jones on a unanimous decision. Fight in a nutshell: Tarver swings, Jones dances and shakes his head - doesn't throw a punch. Jones throws a couple of combos looks decent. Dances, shakes his head. (Rinse, repeat) Maybe the worst fight ever fought with the exception of the 11th when Tarver landed a solid right followed by an uppercut that had Jones looking like he was going down (still can't believe he didn't fall) Tarver was clearly winded and couldn't follow up. Jones needs to hang em up.

MDS

Quote from: SD_Eagle on October 02, 2005, 12:09:31 AM
Tarver beats Jones on a unanimous decision. Fight in a nutshell: Tarver swings, Jones dances and shakes his head - doesn't throw a punch. Jones throws a couple of combos looks decent. Dances, shakes his head. (Rinse, repeat) Maybe the worst fight ever fought with the exception of the 11th when Tarver landed a solid right followed by an uppercut that had Jones looking like he was going down (still can't believe he didn't fall) Tarver was clearly winded and couldn't follow up. Jones needs to hang em up.

We knew that 2 years ago. This is why I didnt bother with the fight. I knew Tarver would win, but I'm surprised it went to decision.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: MDS on October 02, 2005, 01:08:58 AM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on October 02, 2005, 12:09:31 AM

We knew that 2 years ago. This is why I didnt bother with the fight. I knew Tarver would win, but I'm surprised it went to decision.

I didn't think Jones would last past the 5th round.

MURP

sounded like a boring fight.  im not gonna even bother with the replay. 

phillymic2000

On the other netwrok, showtime, the undercard Williamson / Byrd  :puke Horrible, the crowd booed after every round, I fell asleep from rounds 4-5, and that never happens. THe crowd booed the decision, and Byrd later when shown on the big screen during the Toney fight. Byrd got the W, but oh brother did he look horrible. THe Toney Guinn fight was excellent. Toney at 235 (heaviest he's been) looked sharp and never winded. Guin tried to lean on him against the ropes and Toney took him to school, just picked him apart. Guinn landed big shots here and there and was active the whole fight, but toney just dismantled and picked him apart.

Also Larry the Legend lost to Valveu over seas to set up a Ruiz / Valveu title fight.

phillymic2000

Hopefully Ruiz will be retired after this fight. I really hope this guy can keep enough distance himself and that clinching prick Ruiz to knock his A$$ out.

QuoteNEWS FLASH
Ruiz-Valuev in Berlin!
On December 17, the city of Berlin will become the capital of the world of boxing. Nikolai "The Russian Giant" Valuev will fight world champion John Ruiz for the WBA heavyweight crown and the biggest names in boxing will be ringside at the Max-Schmeling-Arena. Next to promoters Don King and Wilfried Sauerland will be Muahmmed Ali at ringside. Ali, who is already in Berlin on invitation of the German Assembly of the United Nations who will honor him with the Otto Hahn Peace Award, will witness if the tallest boxer in history can become world champion and the first Russian heavyweight world champion ever. But not only that: Ali will support his daughter Laila who will defend her belt against the Russian Angelika Torskaja. "We are very proud to present such a top-class event - not only with the WBA heavyweight championship but also with Laila Ali, the best female boxer of the world. This will be the boxing highlight of the year," stated Wilfried Sauerland, who continued "due to his outstanding constitution Nikolai Valuev is an aspiring world champion and I am sure that he will beat Ruiz." Vaulev returns to Berlin from his hometown St. Petersburg early November in order to train at the Max-Schmeling-Gym for his world title fight. Tickets, which will go on sale on October 28, start from EURO 22,50 up to EURO 460,00 for a ringside seat, and will be available at the Max-Schmeling-Arena Box Office, by calling +49-30-44 30 44 30, or by visiting www.boxen.com/Ticketservice

MURP

Ruiz will fight until the age 74. 

phillymic2000

Quote from: MURP on October 27, 2005, 03:27:25 PM
Ruiz will fight until the age 74. 
:crazy Please God NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

phillymic2000

If the heavyweight division could get any stranger ???

from fightnews.com:

QuoteVitali Klitschko retires!
By Enrico "Erik" Crociati
All of the rumors and expectations regarding the future of WBC heavyweight champ Vitali Klitschko took a sudden turnaround today, when Vitali officially announced his retirement from boxing. After undergoing knee surgery in Inglewood, California, from Dr. Neal Elattrache, Klitschko stated to a German wire agency that he was done with pro boxing. The surgical procedure was successful but Klitschko would need a six-month rest without training before considering an eventual return, thus forcing the decision to call it a career. Klitschko said he prefers to leave at his peak and let his successors challenge for his crown. Dr. Vitali Klitschko, who earned a Ph.D. from Kiev University, hinted at the possibility to start a political career now. His boxing career ends with a pro record of 35 wins and 2 losses over an eight-year span, where he won the European, WBO and WBC titles. (special thanks to Alessandro Ferrarini for the info)

My feeling is that Rahman called him up and said, "you know who I am? I'm Rick James Beotch".

Feva

QuoteDr. Vitali Klitschko
He's a farging doctor?!?!  :o
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

MURP

Feva

"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews