Boxing World continued..

Started by MURP, November 04, 2004, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henchmanUK

Damn. Hopefully Hatton-Mayweather now.
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

phillymic2000

Hatton wants to fight in Manchester outside infront of 60k fans. Mayweather wants to fight in MSG. Should be interesting to see where it gets done at.

Drunkmasterflex

I was disappointed the fight got stopped but he was getting beat pretty damn good.  I was hoping he would let his hands fly a little more. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

henchmanUK

Was a story in a Brit paper this morning saying Hatton is Showtime, but Mayweather and Miguel Cotto are HBO and that might cause problems with a Hatton-Mayweather fight.  :boo
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

Drunkmasterflex

As great as it would be for Hatton and Mayweather to fight I think Cotto and Mayweather would be a better fight.  Hatton is an amazing fighter but I don't know that he could compete with Mayweather.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

phillymic2000

Quote from: Double J on June 27, 2005, 05:01:17 PM
As great as it would be for Hatton and Mayweather to fight I think Cotto and Mayweather would be a better fight.  Hatton is an amazing fighter but I don't know that he could compete with Mayweather.

As dominating as Mayweather was the other night, Hatton is the man in the division UNTIL he is defeated. He beat the Man (Kostya Tyszu) So he is the man. No other fight is right at this time then Hatton / Mayweather.

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: phillymic2000 on June 27, 2005, 08:17:28 PM
Quote from: Double J on June 27, 2005, 05:01:17 PM

As dominating as Mayweather was the other night, Hatton is the man in the division UNTIL he is defeated. He beat the Man (Kostya Tyszu) So he is the man. No other fight is right at this time then Hatton / Mayweather.

Yeah I guess you are right, I just don't know if he really matches up that well.

phillymic2000

Well, this didn't take long:

QuoteTyson ready to fight on

By Grantlee Kieza
June 30, 2005

FORMER world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson is set to fight again in a multi-million-dollar tournament that could see a third bout with arch foe Evander Holyfield.

Despite a humiliating loss to mediocre Irish giant Kevin McBride in Washington on June 11, Tyson, 39, still believes he has the punching power to remain a major attraction in heavyweight boxing in a series of four-round fights.

His trainer Jeff Fenech will fly to Phoenix, Arizona, today to continue negotiations for a tournament featuring Tyson in a series of abbreviated bouts against the likes of Holyfield and another former heavyweight champ Riddick Bowe.

It would be boxing's equivalent of cricket's limited overs format or the new Twenty20 game.

Fenech says there has already been interest in the tournament from promoters in Las Vegas and Dubai.

"Mike does not want to go out of boxing as a loser against Kevin McBride," Fenech said.

"He is one of the greatest heavyweight champions of all time and is still explosive for four rounds.

"He doesn't want to compete in 10- round fights because after 20 years as a big-name fighter it is hard to keep backing up in the gym.

"But physically he remains rock solid and very strong and believes he can still thrill fans with the style that made him the youngest ever heavyweight champ in 1986."

Advertisement:
Against McBride, Tyson lost two points for a head-butt, tried to break the Irishman's arm in a clinch and locked his teeth around McBride's nipple. But he was still ahead on points when Fenech retired him in his corner after round six.

"I cannot do this any more," Tyson said immediately after the loss.

"I am not going to lie to myself and I am not going to embarrass this sport. This is a great sport. This is a sport that has taken men with pretty humble lives and humble beginnings and put them in the position to rub shoulders with royalty."

The fight, Tyson's first since a knockout loss to Englishman Danny Williams a year earlier, drew a crowd of 15,472 to Washington's MCI Centre - proof that Tyson remains one of the biggest names in the sport.

The Daily Telegraph

Ready for side show Mike, maybe he can fight the "king of 4 rounders" Butterbean :-D

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

henchmanUK

phillymic2000

Saturday night a young Heavy named Samuel Peter fought Terrell Sykes. Peter is 24-0 (21ko's) He sent Sykes out with a well timed right, and them used a combo of head and body shots to end it. Sykes is not a top tier fighter, but many are saying that Peter is. He haas not been tested with a top 20 fighter yet, but the WBC has him ranked 4th. His skills are a question, but his power is not. This guy is fun to watch and hopefully will get a title shot soon, or step up with another top contender. His camp is tryingto get Vitali in the ring. He is only 24 years old, the youngest Heavy in Boxingrec.com's to 50 heavy's. The average age of the top 20 heavy's is a little over 30 years old.

MURP

link

QuoteTitle holders Vitali Klitschko and Chris Byrd haven't fought this year. Klitschko, with two fights in 18 months, has lost the juice he once had as the division leader. He's been injured and ducking a tough fight with mandatory Hasim Rahman in favor of trying to dump pollution on the public in the form of a heinous match with Oleg Maskaev.

:-D

phillymic2000

Quote from: MURP on July 07, 2005, 11:47:04 AM
link

QuoteTitle holders Vitali Klitschko and Chris Byrd haven't fought this year. Klitschko, with two fights in 18 months, has lost the juice he once had as the division leader. He's been injured and ducking a tough fight with mandatory Hasim Rahman in favor of trying to dump pollution on the public in the form of a heinous match with Oleg Maskaev.

:-D

they are trying to sell this fight because when they were amatures Makaev KO'd Vitali in 1 round. this fight is brutual, Maskaev is not even in the top 20.

Byrd is screwed cause DK can't get a couple of million of $$$ for one of his fights.

phillymic2000

Tomorrow night The EXECUTIONER takes on Taylor for the undisputed Middleweight crown, I can't wait :crazy there are also some really good under cards, Vernon Forrest makes his return to the ring, Wayne McCullough takes on Oscar Larious for his super bantam title, and also a superflyweight title match with two guys I've never seen before.

Diomedes

I just watched a great fight on ESPN2.  Johnny Nolasco vs. Jason Litzau.  Ended in a 2-3 decision for Litzau, the now 13-0 undefeated youngster.  He was dropped in the fight, but came back to make a very very close decision.  I thought it was a draw.  I really did. 

Damned great fight, though.   Hats off to both fighters.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger