Boxing World continued..

Started by MURP, November 04, 2004, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSD

Quote from: PhillyGirl on May 04, 2005, 08:35:30 PM
Quote from: CSD on May 04, 2005, 08:33:10 PM
Are any of you still watching The Contender? I love that show.

MURP and I still watch it.  :yay

Who do you think will win it?

I think Alfonso Gomez is the favorite right now.

MURP

I think the Latin Snake will win.   They make it seem like the injured dude, Basnte or whatever his name is, will beat Jesse this week.  should be interesting.

CSD

I think Jesse talks a lot of crap so I wouldn't mind seeing his ass get beat. :-D

CSD

After getting his ass beat almost the entire fight, Jesse landed a beautiful punch to knock out Anthony. Again, an awesome fight to close the show.

We're now down to the final four.

MURP

that was a good one!   Never saw that knock out coming, but im glad he did get the snot smashed outta him.  Now we dont have to hear him talk about his kids anymore.  ;)

CSD

Quote from: MURP on May 09, 2005, 04:14:40 PM
that was a good one!   Never saw that knock out coming, but im glad he did get the snot smashed outta him.  Now we dont have to hear him talk about his kids anymore.  ;)

LOL, that's the same exact positive that I took from Anthony losing.  :-D

"Wahhh! I'm doing this for my kids!!! Wahhh!"  :-D

Drunkmasterflex

Did anybody see this fight?

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=2056077

Is it really as good as this dude hypes it up to be? There is a replay tonight at 11pm but I don't want to stay up for it and it hasn't been put On Demand yet.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Don Ho

Quote from: MURP on May 09, 2005, 04:14:40 PM

Awesome brawl!  I wanted to see Jesse the dickhead go down.  Sugar Ray had a good point during the credits regarding Jesse just waiting for the right moment as Bosante? is more like a street brawler and leaves himself wide open.  He was tagging Jesse good though.  If he could have lasted one more minute.  I dread having to listen to Jesse for another week.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

MURP

I think Jesse's cornerman gave him the knockout idea before round 5.  He was yelling "you need a knockout!!!!"   Jesse was getting his ass kicked the whole time and should have just used the uppercut like that before the final round if he knew Tony was open for it the entire time.

Don Ho

Quote from: MURP on May 10, 2005, 10:47:40 PM
I think Jesse's cornerman gave him the knockout idea before round 5.  He was yelling "you need a knockout!!!!"   Jesse was getting his ass kicked the whole time and should have just used the uppercut like that before the final round if he knew Tony was open for it the entire time.

Was the whole Najai incident a big story in Philadelphia?  What a bummer.  He sure appeared to be a recluse on the show and was dealing with a lot of issues.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

MURP

yeah it made front page of the Philly Daily News when he killed himself. 

dpierce

Quote from: MURP on May 10, 2005, 10:47:40 PM
I think Jesse's cornerman gave him the knockout idea before round 5. He was yelling "you need a knockout!!!!" Jesse was getting his ass kicked the whole time and should have just used the uppercut like that before the final round if he knew Tony was open for it the entire time.

I just watched the fight again, and I'm not so sure Jesse just got lucky by throwing that uppercut. He tried using it in the first round, but Anthony caught Jesse with solid jabs before the uppercut could connect. Jesse got lucky by landing that first one in the fifth, but I think it may have been part of his corner's strategy.

As for Anthony, his style reminds me of Joe Frazier or Marvin Hagler; he cuts off the ring, he likes to crowd his opponents, he throws a lot of power punches and dishes out a lot of punishment. His defense, however, is porous. He takes a lot of shots and leaves himself open for uppercuts. A good counterpuncher would dismantle him.
Crier of the week: Terrorists of all backgrounds. Tantrums are selfish acts by children; extortion and murder disguised as fervor for a cause are both selfish and just plain evil. "We're gonna blow up things and kill people until we get our way!" There's a convincing argument, huh?

dpierce

Link

Just heard on Fox Sports Radio: James Toney tested positive for the steroid nandrolone and will likely be stripped of his newly-won WBA Heavyweight championship.
Crier of the week: Terrorists of all backgrounds. Tantrums are selfish acts by children; extortion and murder disguised as fervor for a cause are both selfish and just plain evil. "We're gonna blow up things and kill people until we get our way!" There's a convincing argument, huh?

CSD

Quote from: dpierce on May 11, 2005, 03:09:50 PM
Just heard on Fox Sports Radio: James Toney tested positive for steroids and will likely be stripped of his newly won title.

Impossible! A flabby guy on steroids? That can't be right.

[/sarcasm]

dpierce

Quote from: CSD on May 11, 2005, 03:13:17 PM
Quote from: dpierce on May 11, 2005, 03:09:50 PM
Just heard on Fox Sports Radio: James Toney tested positive for steroids and will likely be stripped of his newly won title.

Impossible! A flabby guy on steroids? That can't be right. [/sarcasm]

Ask Jim Miller. ;)