Date of Birth  1973-05-10
Age  31
Reach  82"
Stance  Orthodox
Height  6' 6
Trainer  Goody Petronelli
Manager  Self

His two toughest opponets have been Axel Schulz and DaVarrel Williamson

Axel Shulz is best known for taking Foreman the distance and he knocked McBride out in 9rds.

Williamson is best known for getting knocked the farg out by Wlad klit in the first round!! He ko'd McBride in 5rds.

I am only worried if Tyson is not taking this seriously, if he is training well, McBride cannot withstand his power shots. McBride is a slow plodder, that fits Tyson pretty good.

MURP

i saw on a muted TV Tyson standing next to that guy... lol.   

phillymic2000

I took a long lunch today and went over to the United Center for the press conference, it was free and open to the public :yay. Don King is Hilarious, he is part Polish, Australian, Mexican & has roots in Indy. Of course these are all from where the fighters were. He even found a way to honor the pope for crying out loud!! Fireworks, smoke filled ring entrance, great show!!! Fighters were way to nice to each other.

phillymic2000

The man still has the fan base ;D

QuoteBREAKING NEWS
Tyson tixs Score 1st Round KO!
Fans buy nearly 6,000 tickets in first three hours!
Boxing fans flooded the box office on Friday purchasing nearly 6,000 tickets, totaling over $650,000, in the first three hours of sales for the CAPITOL PUNISHMENT fight card set for Saturday, June 11 at MCI Center featuring two-time heavyweight champion Mike Tyson and the sensational female champion "She Bee Stingin'" Laila Ali.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marty Wynn, co-promoter and CEO of Raging Promotions stated, "We knew that DC fight fans would turn out for a world-class boxing card. We are proud we can bring these champions to the area." Wynn continued, "We thank the fans for their incredible support today and putting us on a fast track to a sold-out event and hottest ticket in town."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tyson (50-5, 44 KOs) will take on Kevin McBride (32-4-1, 27 KOs) while the boxing's most popular female attraction, Ali (20-0, 17 KOs), daughter of the "Greatest" Muhammad Ali, will defend her WIBA light heavyweight title against Erin "Tough" Toughill in the co-main event. The bouts will be broadcast live on Showtime Pay-Per-View starting at 9:00 PM ET.
Co-promoter Darryl Stuckey of The Stuckey Group, remarked: "As a businessman, I'm overwhelmed with our first day sales to this point. I knew this event would be big, but selling more than $650,000 worth of tickets in the first three hours is phenomenal." Washington Sports and Entertainment Chairman Abe Pollin stated, "We're thrilled to host this event and bring boxing back to MCI Center. Ticket sales are brisk and the Tyson-McBride fight is proving to be one of the most anticipated events in Washington in years."
Tickets went on sale Friday at noon. Total seating capacity for the event at MCI Center will be approximately 17,500. Tickets, priced at $700, $450, $250, $100 and $50, are available for purchase at the MCI Center Box Office (601 F St. NW, Washington, D.C.) and at all TicketMaster outlets, including online at www.TicketMaster.com or by calling 202-397-7328, 212-307-7171, 201-507-8900, 631-888-9000, 914-454-3388. Please remember that TicketMaster purchases are subject to convenience charges.

Now if he could only capitalize off of this!

MURP

wonder if they are really his "fans" or are just buying them because they want to be there the next time he does something "crazy".  ;)

phillymic2000

Quote from: MURP on April 15, 2005, 07:21:12 PM
wonder if they are really his "fans" or are just buying them because they want to be there the next time he does something "crazy".  ;)

How rude :-D These are his die-hard fans, or they are irish peeps, looking for the 6'6 McBride to take his head off :paranoid I remember a whole bunch of irish came out for the last irishman to face him, good ol' Peter McNeely, a bum that lad was.

phillymic2000

For some of you not so old school boxing fans, ESPN Classic is showing some good fights this week,

From Fightnews.com:

QuoteESPN to show rare classics!
Special programming leads into April 23 ESPN Pay-Per-View
Each night this week from 9PM to 11PM ET, ESPN Classic will air seldom-seen classic boxing matches as part of Classic Fight Nights, a week-long programming lead-in to the ESPN Pay-Per-View boxing event on Saturday, April 23.
The Classic Fight Nights lineup includes:
Monday 4/18
9PM "Sugar" Ray Leonard vs. Tommy Hearns I (9/16/81)
(re-airs 4/19 at 12 a.m., 4/20 at 10PM and 4/21 at 1 a.m.)
10PM Roberto Duran vs. Ken Buchanan (6/26/72)
Tuesday 4/19
9PM Evander Holyfield vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi (7/12/86)
(re-airs on 4/20 at 12 a.m., 4/22 at 10PM and 4/23 at 1 a.m.)
10PM Pernell Whitaker vs. James "Buddy" McGirt (3/6/93)
(re-air 4/20 at 1am, 4/21 at 10pm and 4/22 at 1am)
Wednesday 4/20
9PM Aaron Pryor vs. Alexis Arguello II (9/9/83)
(re-air 4/21 at 12am)
10PM "Sugar" Ray Leonard vs. Tommy Hearns I (re-air)
Thursday 4/21
9PM Evander Holyfield vs. Michael Moorer (422/94)
(re-air at 12am on 4/22)
10PM Pernell Whitaker vs. James "Buddy" McGirt (re-air)
Friday 4/22
9PM Evander Holyfield vs. Michael Dokes (3/11/89)
(re-air at 12am on 4/23)
10PM Evander Holyfield vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi (re-air)

ESPN Classic will also air following fights on Saturday, April 23 leading into the 9PM ET ESPN Pay-Per-View event:
6PM Evander Holyfield vs. Michael Dokes (re-air)
7PM Evander Holyfield vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi (re-air)
8PM "Sugar" Ray Leonard vs. Tommy Hearns I (re-air)
The event marks the first of two events this year distributed by ESPN Pay-Per-View and promoted by Main Events. The ESPN.com Webcast will mark the first time that such a high-profile night of boxing will be carried live online

phillymic2000

Alright tomorrow night Toney and ruiz will hug, slug and probably throw some bombs here and there.

Tonight on ESPN2 at 11:30pmEST Samuel Peter fights Gilbert Martinez. Peter is a young heavy that has called out all the other guys in the division, he is 22-0 (19ko's) He is tough, but really has not been challenged yet. One of their common opponets is Jeremey Williams, Martinez was KO'd by Williams in the 9th (2002) Peter KO'd Williams in the 2nd (2004). Samuel has a lot of Power and is 6'2 and 250lbs. He is a big boy, could be an explosive knock out tonight.

Back to Toney and Ruiz:

From fightnews.com:

Ruiz & Toney weigh-in at MSG!

April 27, 2005

By John G. Rodwan, Jr.
Photos: Ed Mulholland

John Ruiz (41-5-1, 28 KOs) was the largest of the eight heavyweights who weighed-in in the lobby of Madison Square Garden Thursday afternoon. The WBA belt-holder weighed-in at 241 pounds. The first boxer on the scale was the man slated to challenge Ruiz for his title on Saturday night, James Toney (68-4-2, 43 KOs). Wearing a couple of T-shirts and blue jeans (but no shoes), Toney weighed 233 pounds.

The acrimony that characterized the previous day's press conference was again in evidence, though it was contained. Before Ruiz or Toney stepped on the scale, promoter Don King noted that "they don't like each other." The same could be said of their trainers. During the weigh-in and subsequent stare-down, the fighters' trainers, Freddy Roach and Norman Stone, surrounded by their respective teams, argued with each other in front of the table bearing the glove to be used Saturday, occassionally blocking photographers' view of the boxers. As Ruiz departed the stage, Toney repeatedly taunted, "You're soft." The "Quiteman" remained true to his nickname, silent and inexpressive.

Larry Donald (42-3-2, 24 KOs), who is returning to the Garden after success against Evander Holyfield in the same venue a few months ago, weighed 229 1/2. He's scheduled to fight Ray Austin (22-3-2, 15 KOs), who came in at 240.

DaVarryl Williamson (21-3, 17 KOs) weighed 221; Derrick Jefferson (28-3-1-, 21 KOs) was 235 1/2.

Israel Garcia (14-1, 8 KOs) is to meet Andre Oliynk (10-2, 9 KOs) in a six rounder. Garcia weighed 238 1/4, Oliynk 228.

Among those in attendance at the weigh-in were IBF champion Chris Byrd, Iran Barkley and HBO's Harold Lederman. Asked when the various title-holders were going to start fighting each other, Byrd said he's been wanting that to happen "for a long time." Who would Byrd like to fight next? "Vitali Klitschko, baby. Or the winner of this," he said, referring to this weekend's Ruiz-Toney bout, which King promised would be "provocatively beautiful."

MURP

Toney wins.   :yay   he had a funny comment afterwards something to the effect of  "Maybe now Don King will finaly throw Ruiz into the trash can were he belongs"   :-D

CSD

I'm so glad Toney laid a beat down on Ruiz last night. Ruiz is one of the most unentertaining fighters in recent memory.

phillymic2000

James Toney Baby!! I am so happy that he beat Ruiz. I give Ruiz credit for trying to change his style, but he looked like a deer in headlights for half the fight, Toney had him confused and worried the whole fight. Ruiz showed his usual tactics leaning extra hard on Toney's head during a clinch numerous times, and the 2nd round warning he got for hugging Toney and hitting behind the head. Toney was not in the best of shape and still owned Ruiz when he wanted to. Roy Jones Jr. was strangely complimenting Toney all night. A James Toney, in shape can defeat any of the Heavy's out there, The only ones that worry me are the Heavy Hitters, Rahman & Peter. Toney picks apart Vitaly or Brewster.  Oh and By the way Ruiz retires after the fight, maybe we won't see his punk TRainer Norman Stone anymore. Classless move after the fight leaving and not doing any interviews in the locker room. I cannot believe Ruiz thought he won that fight :-D

FRom Fightnews.com:

QuoteRuiz retires! Toney challenges!
By David Greene at the post-fight conference
Although the James Toney-John Ruiz showdown was tame compared to the pre-fight hype, Ruiz dropped a bomb afterwards announcing his retirement. Ruiz choose not to attend the post-fight conference and instead declared his retirement from the locker room.

The fight may not have contained much in the way of fireworks but the post-fight comments of Toney somewhat compensated. "I did just what I said I would do......Get rid of him from the heavyweight division! Don King will throw him in the trashcan where he belongs!" Toney gave Ruiz credit for giving him the opportunity but he did not give the former two-time champ any credit for his performance: "I didn't expect much from John because he is an average fighter. John Ruiz is stupid. He can't change his style. He only knows how to fight one way." Toney concluded in issuing a challenge to "anyone, anywhere, at anytime" although he specifically targeted Klitschko. With the Ruiz victory, Toney becomes the third middleweight champion – along with Roy Jones, Jr., and Bob Fitzsimmons - to capture a version of the heavyweight title.
While Ruiz did not attend the post-fight conference, he did say during his post-fight comments in the ring: "He's a tough guy to fight. He moves around a lot. I connected a lot. I finished stronger and I won this fight." Norman "Stoney" Stone, the longtime trainer, manager and friend of Ruiz did address the media at the post-fight conference simply stating: "He's done."
Of note, both IBF champion Chris Byrd and contender Hasim Rahman attended the post-fight presser and spoke of challenging Toney.

phillymic2000

Well it's official, July 16th hopkins vs. Taylor :drool

QuoteHopkins-Taylor tickets!
SEATS ON SALE SATURDAY AT NOON
Tickets for "NeXt in Line," the July 16 super fight between undisputed middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins and undefeated heir apparent Jermain Taylor at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, go on sale Saturday at noon! Tickets are priced at $75, $150, $250, $450 and $650 and will be available at the MGM Grand Garden Arena box office outlet. Tickets also are sold at all Las Vegas TicketMaster locations (Tower Records/WOW!, Smith's Food and Drug Centers, Robinsons-May stores and Ritmo Latino). Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call TicketMaster at (702) 474-4000. Tickets also will be available for purchase at www.mgmgrand.com or www.ticketmaster.com. The championship card will be presented by Golden Boy Promotions in association with DiBella Entertainment and televised and distributed live on HBO Pay-Per-View.

CSD

Quote from: phillymic2000 on May 03, 2005, 02:34:33 PM
Well it's official, July 16th hopkins vs. Taylor :drool

QuoteHopkins-Taylor tickets!
SEATS ON SALE SATURDAY AT NOON
Tickets for "NeXt in Line," the July 16 super fight between undisputed middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins and undefeated heir apparent Jermain Taylor at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, go on sale Saturday at noon! Tickets are priced at $75, $150, $250, $450 and $650 and will be available at the MGM Grand Garden Arena box office outlet. Tickets also are sold at all Las Vegas TicketMaster locations (Tower Records/WOW!, Smith's Food and Drug Centers, Robinsons-May stores and Ritmo Latino). Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call TicketMaster at (702) 474-4000. Tickets also will be available for purchase at www.mgmgrand.com or www.ticketmaster.com. The championship card will be presented by Golden Boy Promotions in association with DiBella Entertainment and televised and distributed live on HBO Pay-Per-View.

I wish this fight was in Atlantic City so I could go. :(

CSD

Are any of you still watching The Contender? I love that show.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: CSD on May 04, 2005, 08:33:10 PM
Are any of you still watching The Contender? I love that show.

MURP and I still watch it.  :yay
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen