Boxing World continued..

Started by MURP, November 04, 2004, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunkmasterflex

Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

mussa

Philly-most depressed city. 
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: mussa on March 14, 2005, 07:17:06 PM
Philly-most depressed city. 

that is exactly what I thought when I read the article.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

MURP

Najeh fought last night on the contender and got his butt kicked.   After knowing that he took his own life, watching some of the things he said and the way he talked was a very strange preview as to his actions.  He was in some internal mental pain no doubt now looking back in hind sight.    Sugar Ray came on at the very end of the program and said they had set up a donation for Najehs young daughter if anybody wants to contribute funds.

you can watch some of his video here http://contender.tv.yahoo.com/01/index.html

in other events  Morales beat Pacquiao.  didnt see it on PPV, but it sounded like a good one to check out on HBO.  Fernando Vargas fights on HBO March 26th.  Wladimir Klitschko fights April 23rd.  Ruiz/Toney on April 30. 

PhillyGirl

I cried for his little girl during the show. The scenes with them together were just beautiful but it was downright eerie to watch him and hear what he was saying.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

dpierce

The clips (especially the ones that took place immediately after the fight) were really tough to watch. Seeing that little girl who will never really get to know her father and seeing her mother, who did her best to comfort her man at a trying time, was really upsetting. Stuff like that gets to me because I never got to know my own father very well.

I've never gotten hooked on a reality-based show before, but this one's pretty good. They got fighters instead of Toughman contestants, the fights are pretty good, Sugar Ray Leonard gives the show credibility (along with bringing in Foreman) , most of the fighters are enjoyable people, and I felt for almost every guy who lost. The only thing I don't like are the challenges. Challenges? Challenges!?! These guys are supposed to train for fights and they're carrying logs up a hill and towing trucks? C'mon, Sly. How hokey can you get? Other than that, though, I can't really complain.

Stallone's got a winner on his hands. This show is light-years better than the abomination Fox broadcasted a while ago.
Crier of the week: Terrorists of all backgrounds. Tantrums are selfish acts by children; extortion and murder disguised as fervor for a cause are both selfish and just plain evil. "We're gonna blow up things and kill people until we get our way!" There's a convincing argument, huh?

phillymic2000

Yeah Baby!!! Hopkins vs. Taylor!!!

From fightnews.com:
QuoteHopkins vs Taylor is on!
By Ryan Mickendrow
Undisputed middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins has confirmed to Fightnews.com that terms have been reached for a pay-per-view showdown with Jermain Taylor, likely on July 16. Hopkins had set a 24-hour deadline for a $1.5 million offer last week, but Taylor's promoter Lou DiBella rejected that offer. A deal was reached after Taylor's proposed purse was increased approximately 20%. (More to come)

THis is going to be a very interesting fight. Taylor is big like Hopkins with Power and speed. This will be Hopkins biggest Challange so far, as the young buck tries to dethrone the King. I can not wait for this one.

phillymic2000

Here are the numbers on the fight:

Taylor                                         Hopkins
26 yrs. old                                   40 yrs. old
height 6'1                                    heght 6'1
Orthodox Stance                         Orthodox Stance
23-0-0 (17 ko's)                          46-2-1  (32 ko's)
Biggest fights:                             Biggest fights:
William Joppy UD 12                    Tito Trinidad TKO 12
Raul Marquez TKO 9                    Oscar Delahoya KO 9
                                                    Glen Johnson TKO 11
                                                    Roy Jones Jr. (Loss UD 12)

Man, this is the one fighter that worried me, I am glad that Hopkins is taking his biggest challange head on. The kid is powerfull, fast and tall. Could give Hopkins some trouble. I think Hopkins will keep him frustrated for the most part, but he has to watch out for a bomb from this kid.

MURP

NGM

Thats awesome.  Jermaine Taylor is scary as hell.  These are the types of fights that should be happeing all the time.   :yay
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

phillymic2000

not surprising, the Ruiz/Toney Presser got out of hand today.

http://www.fightnews.com/richardson129.htm

As much as Toney can talk, Ruiz's trainer Norman Stone is a complete lunatic. This should be a half way decent bout, as long as Ruiz does not try and slow dance his way through the fight.

Quote"I'm the best," declared Ruiz. "Yeah, the best of the worst," responded Toney. "Watch him start hugging when I hit him - 'Please don't knock me out'." Toney also boasted that he had more money than Ruiz. Ruiz said Toney talked too much. "I talk in my sleep," said Toney.

:-D  :-D Toney has some classic lines from time to time.

phillymic2000

Here is the video link, It's worth the 10mins.

http://15rounds.com/press/2005/03/toney_032905.php

Also I am hearing rumors that the hopkins/taylor fight is not a done deal yet. just an FYI

MURP

Quote"I'm the best," declared Ruiz. "Yeah, the best of the worst," responded Toney.

:-D :-D  i can just see those two bozos saying that.   :-D

phillymic2000

The Savior of the Heavyweight division is returning to claim his titles!!!

From fightnews.com:

QuoteTyson-McBride presser!
By Julian Burgower
Iron Mike Tyson and Kevin McBride officially announced their June 11 fight at MCI Center today at a press conference in Washington D.C. Tyson (50-5, 44 KOs), accompanied by his three children, called Kevin McBride "cute" and promised that "it's going to be a trainwreck." McBride ((32-4-1, 27 KOs) commented "Everyone is cute in their own way." McBride, who hails from Clones, Ireland, added that he grew up idolizing Tyson, "but we haven't seen the best of Kevin McBride yet." He also stated it would not go the distance. McBride's promoter Richie Cappiello proclaimed that McBride would knock out Tyson within five rounds. When the fighters stood face to face, the 6'6 McBride towered over the 5'10 Tyson. The card will be a Showtime pay-per-view event. Scheduled for the undercard is Laila Ali.

Alright :-D I know he is washed up, but can't I hope for acouple tune up wins, and a shot at Vitali? I mean come on anyone with a punch has a  chance agaisnt Vitali!!

mussa

Is this guy as good as his record?  How old is he?  Im not sure Tyson is going to win this.  Unless this guy is a piece of meat.  But being 6'6" and with a record like that, Tyson has little chance IMO.  He's still my favorite all time boxer, but his time has been up.  :'(
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"