Get advice from smart people on medical procedures

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, January 12, 2011, 02:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

the first thing that popped in your head is zika virus so just stay strong and stick with that.

Tomahawk

Just keep squeezing it like a pimple until it pops. If that doesn't work, lance it

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: SD on May 18, 2017, 08:23:55 PM
...it usually goes away on its own, it's not treatable, and very few people actually did from it. I'm gonna ride it out.

SD

Today was the first day my temperature is back to normal. Still have a lump on the side of my leg but it's 1/3 the size it was last week and it itches meaning it's healing.

PhillyPhreak54

SD

PhillyPhreak54

In regards to what? Parkinson's or stroke? Or something like pinched nerves and the effects?

SD

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on December 08, 2019, 11:01:32 PM
In regards to what? Parkinson's or stroke? Or something like pinched nerves and the effects?

Intolerable Tinnitus and some accompanying issues that are worrisome. Saw an ENT a few weeks ago but the symptoms are getting worse. Trying to schedule an appointment with a neurologist but earliest availability I could find is March. Gonna schedule an appt with the VA primary care doc and get a referral. My buddy works at the Philly VAMC Neurologist office and said he could probably get me in within a week. I'm trying to avoid going to the ER but will go that route if this shtein keeps up.

PhillyPhreak54

I have tinnitus as well and it sucks. I'd definitely recommend trying the referral route since yours is severe. The VA may be your best route since the civilian neuros have long wait times. Are you tied to one health provider/system (speaking free world now not VA) due to insurance?

Mine is manageable and I have always written it off as incurable because that's what I was told when I was younger. It happened from massive scarring on my ear drums from ear infections.

SD

So same side the tinnitus was on my face was going numb and my eye was twitching. Needless to say it's been freaking me out. I gave it over a week to see if it would clear up but around 4 am I couldn't sleep so I drove down to the Philly VAMC ER. They ran some tests and did a CAT scan. My worry was a non cancerous tumor called acoustic neuroma. Anyway CAT scan came out clear. See the audiologist on Monday, they actually have a tinnitus unit at the Philly VAMC (it's an extremely common condition with Veterans). Past few weeks I've been living with a white noise phone app going constantly so I can function properly, the ER doc said they have ear buds that produce sound to override the tinnitus.

I have a neurology consult in a few weeks. They're probably going to do an mri, the CAT scan isn't as detailed so there could be something they're missing but there's no mass so even if there's something it's small enough to not be of immediate concern.

PhillyPhreak54

That's good news that there is no mass!

One of my coworkers is a vet and he has it bad too. My herniated discs in my neck caused (and still do even after surgery) nerve issues. So the numbness has to be something nerve related or blood flow related, I'd think. Hell maybe even some sort of TMJ?

Eagaholic

This all should be in the What Are You Listening To thread.

Diomedes

I accidentally cut my scalp open this morning.  An impressive amount of blood issues from a head wound.

For some time afterward, I could taste blood...but I had no blood in my mouth at any time.  This must be a known phenomenon.  Anyone else have the experience?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

It's been a nice 25 years or so since I've had to get stitches in my head, but I don't remember tasting blood from that.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

Luckily, I don't need to be sewed up.  What a pain in the ass that would be these days.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger